New vegan cheese slices that melt, taste great and are free of trans fat! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-13-2006, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.galaxyfoods.com/ourbrands....asp#ricevegan

Has anyone else tried these? So far I've had the American flavour in a grilled cheese, really good. I've got a pack of cheddar in the fridge that I haven't tried yet.

By the way, don't be put off by the fact that these are made by the same company that makes the truly disgusting "Vegan" brand cheese in the purple package - these are totally different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I check my Whole Foods every time I go and no luck yet. I am excited that you gave them a good review! Yay! Vegan grilled cheese!
#3 Old 12-13-2006, 05:40 PM
Veggie Regular

ugh, I've tried the vegan kind and never wanted to try non-dairy cheese ever again. I'll try these, though, if I find them (:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't trust Galaxy Foods.... not even gonna try 'em...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#5 Old 12-13-2006, 06:58 PM

how come?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

I don't trust Galaxy Foods.... not even gonna try 'em...

#6 Old 12-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Banned

i've got a packet of the pepperjack ones in my fridge.

i bought them home from the supermarket all excitedly, then took one out, unwrapped it, peeled a sliver the size of a fingernail off the edge of the slice, tried it, and nearly gagged.....

it's gritty, waxy, greasy, slimy, and tastes foul to me.

that said... i threw the rest of the slice out, and didn't get as far as trying melting it, so it might have tasted better melted. and i'd never had pepperjack cheese (vegan or not) before either, so maybe i didn't like the pepperjack-ness of it either, which may have added to my dislike of it somewhat.

i've been planning to feed the rest of the pack to my human dustbin of an omni bf, but maybe i'll give it another shot myself first... i doubt it though... my memory of the tasting event consists of pretty much the words 'bleurgh bleurgh, and bleurgh'.

i much prefer the old 'vegan' ones in the purple packets (and then only in a select few meals)... ok, so they don't melt, but they don't feel like a mouthful of greasy sawdust either.
#7 Old 12-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't tried the Rice ones yet either but I have seen them for a while at the stores...Rice 'cheese' ...just doesn't sound good to me.

I like the Vegan American Slices (I can eat them right out of the wrapper - they remind me of the fakey cheapy imitation cheese slices my mom used to buy when I was young). The Vegan mozerella slices have really no taste - they don't taste bad, just no taste. I do like the vegan parma by galaxy too.

I just recently bought a block of the Vegan cheddar and it didn't melt on my grilled cheese and I wasn't impressed. It was kinda of gritty and didn't taste that great.

I ordered some of the scheese from lilacwine's store and they should be arriving soon! Can't wait!
#8 Old 12-13-2006, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

I ordered some of the scheese from lilacwine's store and they should be arriving soon! Can't wait!

'Tis on its way; hope you love 'em!!
#9 Old 12-14-2006, 03:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I definitely liked the regular Rice cheese slices. I was eating them when I first went vegan and then as I became more educated, realized they werent'. If the vegan Rice slices are anything like the non-vegan ones, I would definitely give them a try!
#10 Old 12-14-2006, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Why is it so hard to make good vegan cheese?

They can make everything else--from BBQ ribs to ice cream sandwiches--why not cheese?

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#11 Old 12-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac wine View Post

'Tis on its way; hope you love 'em!!

Just got 'em today! My boyfriend is making vegan pizza with the mozzerella as I type! It didn't melt as well as the the VeganRella. But it is better tasting than the VeganRella which stinks up my frig!

I tasted the mozzerella right out of the package and it really wasn't that bad straight! It has a nice tangy after taste to it which I think most vegan cheeses are missing! VeganRella right out of the package is gross.

The other two flavors I received were Cheddar with Chive and Cheshire. All I can say is OHMIGOD! ...I tasted a little bit a each right out of the package and they are SOOO good. I will be having them with my ritz-type vegan crackers - just as they are!

There is no weird texture (the texture is like a softer 'hard' cheese - the cheeses are wheel shaped like dairy cheese would be) or weird aftertastes. It honestly tastes like cheese (maybe less 'milky' which is fine). I am a picky vegan cheese person too and I am very impressed by these cheeses!

Another thing I like is that the mozzerella doesn't stick to my teeth like the VeganRella does.

These are the best vegan cheeses I have ever had.

Can't wait until you get the other flavors in! Let me know when they are in!

WooHoo!
#12 Old 12-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I've tried these (or maybe it was the vegan ones? But I thought it was these... I could be wrong though), and I tried to make grilled cheese with them. I ended up scraping the cheese off and eating the toasted bread alone. It was utterly disgusting.
#13 Old 12-14-2006, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy_w View Post

how come?

cuz all of my experiences with their products have been like most of the responses here...

blech........

It seems some people aren't thoroughly disgusted by the stuff... I don't feel like taking the chance.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#14 Old 12-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I love the regular rice cheeze. It's so much better than soy cheeze imo. Not vegan though. I'd try the vegan one if it were available.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#15 Old 12-15-2006, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Does this melt below broiling/grilling temperature? I tried some Follow Your Heart awhile back, based on recommendations here, and made enchiladas, not realizing it doesn't melt until something like 450.

That really limits its usefulness for me, since (except for pizza), the dishes are like with cheese are baked at moderate oven temperatures.
#16 Old 12-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah, I just had that same experience with the Vegan Gourmet crap...

why does this have to be so hard??????

Nec Aspera Terrent
#17 Old 12-15-2006, 04:11 PM

vegan gourmet melts really quickly in the microwave, so i'm guessing that adding it melted and then baking might help.
#18 Old 12-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I love rice cheese Have not really had a chance to try the new vegan version of it, but I'm sure it's great!!
#19 Old 12-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd rather stick to my vegan gourmet.
#20 Old 03-19-2007, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I tried the Pepperjack flavour of Galaxy Rice Cheese over the weekend. It seemed good enough out of the package and it actually melted (shock of the world!), but it has MILK in it!! The worst part is that unless it says "VEGAN" on the package, it's nothing more than horribly upcharged vegetarian cheese (I just looked on Galaxy's site)!

If I wanted vegetarian cheese, I would have bought some Tillamook instead. At least I know what THAT stuff is like.

Moral of the story: veg*n cheese SUCKS!
#21 Old 03-19-2007, 11:55 AM

After the disgusting false-cheese experiences I have had...I would rather go throught life cheese-less.

Depending on what you are making though, fake cream cheese works pretty well for me (like tacos or my own cracker spread or a fake chicken wrap with tomatoes and olives and spinach). But I guess you would have to be creative.
#22 Old 03-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

yes, the vegan rice cheese slices melt very easily well below grilling/broiling temp.
#23 Old 03-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I tried a teeny bit of this at vegfest in a quesadilla. Based on that I would be willing to try it again. The person who was there was from the company I think and was very friendly. I have a hard time with vegan cheese but I keep trying it anyways. One day I will find the perfect one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page