What's your fav. laundry detergent? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-22-2006, 07:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I have REALLY hard water here & am looking for a good detergent for family use (no babies). I did do a search for laundry detergents & the only name brand that came up was "SUN" laundry detergent, but I'm wondering how well this works? If you've used it and liked it, I would love to know.

I've also heard of Ecos, Bio-Kleene, and Country Save but haven't used any of these brands.

Any other brands are fine too, if I need too, I will make a trip over to my HFS to buy it, it it's something I can't find out in town.

Thanks for any help!

Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-22-2006, 07:40 AM

I'm using Ecover now, and it works pretty well. When I was in the US, I liked Seventh Generation's unscented liquid the best. Got things clean and no residue.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 09-22-2006, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I'm using Ecover now, and it works pretty well. When I was in the US, I liked Seventh Generation's unscented liquid the best. Got things clean and no residue.

Thanks for the recommendation on the 5th Generation, I've seen that one at the HFS.

I'm slowly replacing all of my cleaning supplies with more environmentally safe items and I knew this would be the place to ask for some opinions!

Thanks again!

Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-23-2006, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Anyone else?

Surely someone else has a good recommendation for laundry deteregent?

At this point I guess I'll try to find some "Sun" detergent & then when I make my monthly trip over to the HFS try some of the 5th Generation.

If you've used anything else with good success I would love to hear about it.

Thanks,

Michelle
#5 Old 09-23-2006, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Ecos, free and clear. It has no scents, dyes or whiteners, so it does not bother the skin of my SO. It's pretty neat looking cuz it's clear
#6 Old 09-23-2006, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilvegan View Post

Ecos, free and clear. It has no scents, dyes or whiteners, so it does not bother the skin of my SO. It's pretty neat looking cuz it's clear

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it!!

Michelle
#7 Old 09-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Beginner

I just bought Method "fresh air scent" detergent and it works great!! I was so excited to find a name brand that was vegan and can easily be found, and it smells really good. There is also one with no scent but I love the fresh air smell!!
#8 Old 09-23-2006, 02:31 PM

method.
#9 Old 09-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryDreamer View Post

I just bought Method "fresh air scent" detergent and it works great!! I was so excited to find a name brand that was vegan and can easily be found, and it smells really good. There is also one with no scent but I love the fresh air smell!!

Duh! I didn't even think about the Method products at Target, & that's where I do all of my non-grocery shopping!! I'm sure it would be a bit cheaper too.

Thanks so much for the recommendation!!!

Michelle
#10 Old 09-23-2006, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

method.

Thanks so much for posting! I've not looked into the Method products that much, but I'm assuming that they are cruelty-free?

I appreciate the recommendation!!

Michelle
#11 Old 09-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I use Trader Joe's Next To Godliness detergent. It's the least expensive of all the natural detergents I've used.
#12 Old 09-23-2006, 02:55 PM

You're welcome! Yes, their products (with the exception of their fabric softener sheets) are vegan and not tested on animals. You should check out their website at methodhome.com!
#13 Old 09-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been using SUN.
#14 Old 09-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Plastic Straw View Post

I use Trader Joe's Next To Godliness detergent. It's the least expensive of all the natural detergents I've used.

We don't have a Trader Joe's here! But thanks for taking the time to post anyway! Someone else might be needing a good recommendation!!

Michelle
#15 Old 09-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSiren View Post

I've been using SUN.

How do you like it? I'm kinda bummed about my commisary, they used to carry it & I looked yesterday & they've stopped!! I'm not sure why?

Does it get your clothes good & clean? My hubby comes home filthy some days & I need something that will defiantely get the dirt out!

Thanks for posting!

Michelle
#16 Old 09-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

You're welcome! Yes, their products (with the exception of their fabric softener sheets) are vegan and not tested on animals. You should check out their website at methodhome.com!

Again, thanks for the info. on the dryer sheets! That's good to know!

I'm gonna go check out their website now!

Michelle
#17 Old 09-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flvegnewbie View Post

How do you like it? I'm kinda bummed about my commisary, they used to carry it & I looked yesterday & they've stopped!! I'm not sure why?

Does it get your clothes good & clean? My hubby comes home filthy some days & I need something that will defiantely get the dirt out!

Thanks for posting!

Michelle

I've never had any problems with it. It seems to clean very well. I had problems with other brands (not mentioned so far in this thread) causing rashes for my daughter. But no problem with the SUN variety.
#18 Old 09-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSiren View Post

I've never had any problems with it. It seems to clean very well. I had problems with other brands (not mentioned so far in this thread) causing rashes for my daughter. But no problem with the SUN variety.

Thank-you so much for posting again! Then I will defiantely consider it!

I appreciate it!

Michelle
#19 Old 09-23-2006, 06:36 PM
Beginner

Yes, most of the method products are cruelty free (no animal ingred. and are not tested on animals). But I heard that the dryer sheets and one other product from them does contain an animal ingrediate, but the rest are safe. It was a link on this site about method products that I read that from. I'll try to find the link.
#20 Old 09-23-2006, 06:38 PM
Beginner

Opps...I missed the reply from VeggieJanie. Sorry!
#21 Old 09-24-2006, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Seventh Generation: 2 guys once stopped me on the street to tell me how great I smelled- it was the citrus laundry powder!! lol

Using Method right now. Also nice, but I'll be going back to 7th Gen I think.
#22 Old 09-24-2006, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I use Sun because it's the cheapest brand out there, and is vegan and cruelty-free.

I wouldn't say it's the best though, it definetely doesn't compare to Tide. But if money is no object, then Seventh Generation is probably the best vegan brand you'll find, assuming you're rich. It's 6 times as expensive as other brands, so I've never tried it, but have always heard good things about it.
#23 Old 09-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone! I picked up some of the "Method" today & I'm going to give it a try, it smelled REALLY good!

I did find the "Sun" brand, but noticed on the back it said that the "finished product is not tested on animals", so does that mean during the process of making it they test on animals? I'm really not trying to start a debate or anything, but I found it odd that they worded it that way?

As far as the 7th Generation (I was calling it 5th Generation!!!), I will also check that out when I get over to the HFS. I just know that most of the cleaners they sell ARE more expensive, with the exception of the Dr. Bronner's (I LOVE those Sal Suds for doing dishes & for general cleaning throughout the house!!!).

I guess too the price could be figured in as a tad cheaper if your only doing laundry for 1-2 people, but I have a family of four. With a son who plays football & a hubby who sometimes gets into all kinds of things at work, I'll probably come out alot better budget wise if I can stick to something that I can pick up while I'm out in town doing shopping, kwim?

I just want to say a HUGE Thank-you to everyone for taking the time to post your favs. AND your experiences with them.

Michelle
#24 Old 09-24-2006, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flvegnewbie View Post

I did find the "Sun" brand, but noticed on the back it said that the "finished product is not tested on animals", so does that mean during the process of making it they test on animals? I'm really not trying to start a debate or anything, but I found it odd that they worded it that way?

It means the ingredients they use may have been tested on animals.

It doesn't mean that they did any animal testing. But the same is true of Method and 7th Generation and all the other companies also, all they can assure anyone of is that their final product wasn't tested on animals.
#25 Old 09-24-2006, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I've used Country Save; it's quite good for regular laundry. Great price.

I usually buy President's choice (a store brand) it is phosphate free, biodegradable, etc. I'm really happy with it.

I'd love to try 7th Gen., but it's really expensive here and with 6+ loads a week...
#26 Old 09-25-2006, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

It means the ingredients they use may have been tested on animals.

It doesn't mean that they did any animal testing. But the same is true of Method and 7th Generation and all the other companies also, all they can assure anyone of is that their final product wasn't tested on animals.

Ah, I see. I just found the wording odd I suppose. I know that when I read on the Method bottle it said that it "is never tested on animals", as opposed to "this finished product is not tested on animals".

Anywho, thanks for the insight.

Michelle
#27 Old 09-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon toast View Post

I've used Country Save; it's quite good for regular laundry. Great price.

I usually buy President's choice (a store brand) it is phosphate free, biodegradable, etc. I'm really happy with it.

I'd love to try 7th Gen., but it's really expensive here and with 6+ loads a week...

Thanks for the recommendation on the Country Save, I have seen this brand at my HFS & it seemed a bit more doable as far as prices go.

I appreciate you posting!

Michelle
#28 Old 09-26-2006, 12:33 PM
DLS
Veggie Regular

Laundry - Ughhhhhhh, one of those jobs that needs to be done, but for me it is not an easy process. First I have to haul about 100 ft. of fire hose to my laundry shed, stick one end in the tub, run back to my waterpump, start it up, run back to tub, wait till it is full, run back to pump, turn it off, run or by this time walk back to tub, start generator, turn washing machine on, wait for wash and spin, then repeat above for rinse. Ahhh, the life of living off the grid, and people have the gall to ask me what I do all day LOL.

Anywho, I make my own laundry detergent, which is another story on its own, but instead of bleach I use 1/4 cup of vinegar per load, it removes odors along with dirt. And I have read that if you pour 1 can of cola in your washer it will get the grease out of your clothes, don't know haven't tried that yet.
#29 Old 10-08-2006, 08:24 PM

I use Amilya's Soapworks detergent. It's cheap and works great. It even got out a cherry juice stain that I was sure I'd be living with forever!
#30 Old 10-08-2006, 09:29 PM

I think method's caps are messy. every time i used method it would drip everywhere.

7th generation or Sun. Dr. Bronners in a pinch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page