Vege Spread. - VeggieBoards

Vege Spread.

Kurmudgeon's Avatar Kurmudgeon
08:44 AM 07-17-2003
I found a vegemite alternative that is actually 100% Australia called "Vege Spread", made by Freedom Foods.

They label their stuff well; anything vegan will be labelled vegan (in adition to dairy-free, egg-free, etc. for those looking out for allergies).

The Vege Spread is vegan, GMO/wheat/gluten/yeast free, and has Vitamin B complex and Folate (no B12 though).

I think it's going to take a bit to get used to; while similar to vegemite and marmite, it's definitely somewhat different.

285 grams is $4 (AU).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GhostUser's Avatar GhostUser
08:58 AM 07-17-2003
Uh, what's in it then?

Because isn't marmite and vegemite a yeast spread??

Danny
vegancherrypie's Avatar vegancherrypie
01:37 PM 07-21-2003
Yeah, I'm curious too, what's in the stuff if not yeast?

Cassie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Kurmudgeon's Avatar Kurmudgeon
12:49 PM 07-26-2003
Vegetable protein extract (corn) is the main ingredient (40%). Then there's water, sugar, thickener, colour, oil and stuff.
Tamczig's Avatar Tamczig
07:46 AM 02-01-2014
Have no idea what they use to substitute the yeast but when u have a yeast intolerant child it works . She eats it and no pain. It's very easy to get use too!
Tamczig's Avatar Tamczig
07:47 AM 02-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamczig View Post

Have no idea what they use to substitute the yeast but when u have a yeast intolerant child it works . She eats it and no pain. It's very easy to get use too!

Deepak
12:34 AM 07-24-2019
I am gluten intolerant so I can't take marmite. I started buying this spread because it was clearly labelled gluten free (and no complaints on that score). I love the taste but the spread is definitely missing Vitamin B12 (I checked with the company and they just confirmed they definitely do not supplement with B12). So that may be a problem for vegans looking for an all in supplement.

Just posting this info so it helps others. Don't expect to get B12 from this product.
David3's Avatar David3
08:18 PM 07-28-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepak View Post
I am gluten intolerant so I can't take marmite. I started buying this spread because it was clearly labelled gluten free (and no complaints on that score). I love the taste but the spread is definitely missing Vitamin B12 (I checked with the company and they just confirmed they definitely do not supplement with B12). So that may be a problem for vegans looking for an all in supplement.

Just posting this info so it helps others. Don't expect to get B12 from this product.

Getting B12 supplements isn't difficult. Your local pharmacy (chemist) has affordable B12 pills (some are even fruit flavored). You can get affordable vegan multi-vitamins on Amazon.
Reply Up