Go cruelty-free or you'll develop a weird eye fungus (contact lenses) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey, has anyone been following the news about that nasty eye fungus that's going around? Although rare, it's really serious & potentially causes blindness. It happens to soft contact lens wearers, and in 26 out of 30 cases it's been associated with Bauch & Lomb's Renu (the most popular lens solution). Sorry, I don't have a link to the article(s), but you can find it on news.yahoo.com.

Anyway, this is one of those times I'm relieved that I switched to cruelty-free contact solution last year. I found some stuff called "Clear Conscience", and it's worked really well for me.

Any others? Also, are there any Renu users who care to comment? (Although if you're having trouble seeing your computer screen atm, I fully understand)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-13-2006, 12:08 PM

Ack. I don't, but my sister wears contact lenses; I'll have to make sure she's ok!
#3 Old 04-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

EESH! What an awful thing!

Now I'm really glad I can't wear contacts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-14-2006, 01:20 PM

I always use the Clear Conscience, but when I went to the eye doctor last month he gave me a kit with a new case and some B&L Multi-Purpose Solution. It was a small bottle so I put it in the drawer at my boyfriends house in case I ever forgot mine. Then, yesterday I heard on the radio that was the stuff they were saying not to use because of the mysterious eye infection! So if anyone has gotten that free bottle from their eye doctor lately, don't be tempted to use it!
#5 Old 04-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I quit wearing my contacts. I hate them. I only wear glasses now and only when I'm driving or watching TV or typing on the computer.
#6 Old 04-26-2006, 09:50 AM

I would like to order Clear Conscience Lens Solution, but I live in Canada. Does anyone know if it is available to Canadians yet? Also, where do you order cruelty-free contact lenses from? Thanks!
#7 Old 04-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Kiki, you can buy it online at most vegan/"health" type stores, including Cosmo's (www.cosmosveganshoppe.com).

I use the stuff myself, but this fungus this doesn't have anything to do with veganacity, most likely. It's *one* line of *one* brand of solution. It's far more probably that there's some production line contamination.

http://news.search.yahoo.com/news/search?p=renu&c=

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#8 Old 04-26-2006, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow,

I never even considered that my contact solution could be suspect.

I use Opti-free no-rub solution.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what sort of cruelty does regular saline involve?

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#9 Old 04-26-2006, 09:08 PM

This is fun when I see it in America.

Some people take a small nothing and make something bigger about it. Some a little bit baikin gets into eye solution for 10 people and above people go crazy for it.

I'm lovin it!
#10 Old 04-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

Wow,

I never even considered that my contact solution could be suspect.

I use Opti-free no-rub solution.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what sort of cruelty does regular saline involve?

I'm not sure... I don't wear glasses or contacts

This is the list of ingredients for your solution according to Drugstore.com

Ingredients

Citrate**, Tetronic 1304, AMP-95**

Tetronic 1304, Sodium chloride, Boric acid, Sorbitol, AMP-95 and Edetate Disodium, Polyquad®** (polyquaternium-1) 0.001% and Aldox®** (myristamidopropyl dimethylamine) 0.0005%

**These ingredients are found only in Alcon's lens care products. This patented formula is not sold under any other name.

------------------

Contacts are made from plastics -- not environmentally sound, but I'm not sure if there's any animal products used to make plastic.

Types of Contact Lenses

PMMA lenses: Rigid or "hard" contacts were the first lenses; they were developed in the 1960's. They are made of a type of plastic called PMMA (polymethyl methacrylate), which is very durable, but does not allow oxygen in the air to directly reach the cornea. When the eye blinks, the lens moves, which allows the oxygen dissolved in the tears to reach the cornea. Rigid lenses are the least comfortable type of contacts and are not really used anymore. However, some people still prefer them for their durability and lower cost.

Gas-permeable lenses: These lenses are also known as "RGPs." They are newer rigid or "hard" lenses made of plastics combined with other materials, such as silicone and fluoropolymers, which allow oxygen in the air to pass directly through the lens. For this reason, they are called "gas permeable."

Soft contact lenses: These lenses are made of plastic materials that incorporate water. The water makes them soft and flexible, as well as allowing oxygen to reach the cornea. More than 75% of contact lens wearers in the United States use soft lenses.

Extended wear contact lenses: made of material designed to last 2-4 weeks.

Daily disposable lenses: although generally more expensive, carry a lower infection risk.

Toric contact lenses: correct moderate astigmatism. They are available in both rigid and soft materials.

Generally, contacts should be removed at bedtime due to risk of infection and risk of contact lens intolerance.

**** here's the ingredient list for Clear Conscience:

Ingredients:

Sterile, isotonic solution that contains poloxamer, sodium phosphate buffer, sodium chloride and disodium edetate; preserved with polyhexanide 0.00001%.

If the company that makes your contacts and contact solution are listed at this link http://www.leapingbunny.org/pdf/ccicguide_full.pdf

Then you can be positive that they do not use animal ingredients and do not test any of the ingredients on animals.

It might just be that those big name companies aren't vegan because they test on animals.
#11 Old 04-26-2006, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueveggie14 View Post

I'm not sure... I don't wear glasses or contacts

This is the list of ingredients for your solution according to Drugstore.com

Ingredients

Citrate**, Tetronic 1304, AMP-95**

Tetronic 1304, Sodium chloride, Boric acid, Sorbitol, AMP-95 and Edetate Disodium, Polyquad®** (polyquaternium-1) 0.001% and Aldox®** (myristamidopropyl dimethylamine) 0.0005%

**These ingredients are found only in Alcon's lens care products. This patented formula is not sold under any other name.

------------------

Contacts are made from plastics -- not environmentally sound, but I'm not sure if there's any animal products used to make plastic.

Types of Contact Lenses

PMMA lenses: Rigid or "hard" contacts were the first lenses; they were developed in the 1960's. They are made of a type of plastic called PMMA (polymethyl methacrylate), which is very durable, but does not allow oxygen in the air to directly reach the cornea. When the eye blinks, the lens moves, which allows the oxygen dissolved in the tears to reach the cornea. Rigid lenses are the least comfortable type of contacts and are not really used anymore. However, some people still prefer them for their durability and lower cost.

Gas-permeable lenses: These lenses are also known as "RGPs." They are newer rigid or "hard" lenses made of plastics combined with other materials, such as silicone and fluoropolymers, which allow oxygen in the air to pass directly through the lens. For this reason, they are called "gas permeable."

Soft contact lenses: These lenses are made of plastic materials that incorporate water. The water makes them soft and flexible, as well as allowing oxygen to reach the cornea. More than 75% of contact lens wearers in the United States use soft lenses.

Extended wear contact lenses: made of material designed to last 2-4 weeks.

Daily disposable lenses: although generally more expensive, carry a lower infection risk.

Toric contact lenses: correct moderate astigmatism. They are available in both rigid and soft materials.

Generally, contacts should be removed at bedtime due to risk of infection and risk of contact lens intolerance.

**** here's the ingredient list for Clear Conscience:

Ingredients:

Sterile, isotonic solution that contains poloxamer, sodium phosphate buffer, sodium chloride and disodium edetate; preserved with polyhexanide 0.00001%.

If the company that makes your contacts and contact solution are listed at this link http://www.leapingbunny.org/pdf/ccicguide_full.pdf

Then you can be positive that they do not use animal ingredients and do not test any of the ingredients on animals.

It might just be that those big name companies aren't vegan because they test on animals.

Can you make the above into just 2 or 3 sentence?

I get tired to read so much writing.

But I want to find out about it.
#12 Old 04-27-2006, 09:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Synergy..I'd suspect that many solutions are free of animal ingredients, especially if you're only using saline. The trouble is that most mainstream manufacturers test on animals.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#13 Old 04-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd like to remind everyone NOT to switch their contact lense solutions without first consulting with their eye care professional. There are reasons that eye doctors recommend certain things (i.e. mine doesn't even recommend using things like Renu because they have preservatives which can cause allergic reactions), so check first before changing solutions.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#14 Old 04-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

This fungus was from Renu's Moisture Loc solution- it wasn't coming from ALL of their solutions!

Clear Conscious is made in the UK and costs $12 per bottle in Minnesota! I only buy it when I can afford it- and that isn't the case every time that I'm in need of solution.
#15 Old 04-27-2006, 08:43 PM
Banned

No rub/all purpose solutions, in general, have an animal ingredient (it has been discussed previously here)
#16 Old 04-27-2006, 10:17 PM

Clear Conscience is manufactured by a company that conducts no animal testing. It is a non-irradiated multi-purpose solution for cleaning, disinfecting, storing, and rinsing your soft contact lenses. Sterilized without radiation. Cruelty-free, thimerosal-free, chlorhexidine-free, FDA-approved and packaged in recyclable spill-proof 12-ounce plastic bottles.

Clear Conscience was established in 1998 to provide quality, safe products for contact lenses that are cruelty-free. Company policy ensures that all suppliers are also committed to product safety testing without the use of animals. 10% of all proceeds donated to non-profit animal welfare and environmental organizations.

You can purchase it online at several of the vegan stores for about $9.95 a bottle and up. Many of them, including my store, ship to Canada.
#17 Old 05-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Beginner

My friend used to use this Renu, and I bet her it was tested on animals and she was adment that it wasn't- that it at least says on the bottle "Not tested on animals". If it indeed isn't, wouldn't that just be another excuse for people to be against non-animal tested items?
#18 Old 05-05-2006, 11:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikisstrees View Post

My friend used to use this Renu, and I bet her it was tested on animals and she was adment that it wasn't- that it at least says on the bottle "Not tested on animals". If it indeed isn't, wouldn't that just be another excuse for people to be against non-animal tested items?

Think about it. If it's contamination at the plant, that has nothing to do with animal testing or not. If it's fungal infection that is possible to grow with the use of the one-step multi solutions, animal testing really isn't going to show that either. The tests don't go on long enough; the incidence isn't that high and likely wouldn't show up - there's some evidence that infection was combined with sloppy care as well; nor is it certain that if you fitted beagles with contact lenses in labs and cleaned them with this solution, that they are even susceptible to those types of infections. Animal testing is not used in this way. This problem may have been going on for awhile, but it was only when some opthalmologist started putting symptoms together with contact care procedures that it came out.

This is really something that animal testing one way or another isn't going to fix.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#19 Old 01-26-2009, 12:20 PM

Most contact lense solution manufacturers test their products on rabbits. As they are developing their solutions, they drip the formula into rabbits' eyes to see if it irritates them or not. Rabbits are used because they don't have tear ducts like humans so they can't naturally wash the irritant out of their eyes. It stays there and continues to irritate. It is cruel an inhumane like all animal testing. Clear Conscience is the only one I know of that doesn't do this. I wish more people knew that.
#20 Old 01-26-2009, 12:21 PM

The problem is, they are tested on animals. That is where the cruelty comes in.
#21 Old 01-27-2009, 09:13 PM

i use plain saline solution for my lens. not sure if it is a good practice but it is the only thingthat doesn't irritate my eyes
#22 Old 01-28-2009, 01:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you use disposable lenses?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page