Urban Decay? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-12-2006, 07:15 PM

I'm finally running out of makeup, which means I can buy vegan cosmetics soon. I've been waiting, because I hate to waste stuff.

Anyway, I've been searching around online all day looking for vegan cosmetics, and have only come across a few brands. Does anyone here use Urban Decay products? I'm thinking of buying some of their vegan-friendly products.

If you don't use this brand, what brand(s) do you use? Suggestions are welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-13-2006, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

i have loved UD for years. good quality for the price and i like the colors since i am usually bored by the "typical" colors most companies carry. i don't know if it's in effect yet, but i did get an e-mail a month or so back from them stating that they are now going to clearly label their vegan products. yay for decay
#3 Old 04-13-2006, 08:11 PM

Thanks for your response! And yup, they label their vegan products on their website - with a little puppy paw!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-14-2006, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

Thanks for your response! And yup, they label their vegan products on their website - with a little puppy paw!!

Wow, that's awesome!

But...I discovered that they deemed products with beeswax vegan. So still always check the ingredients. I am going to email them and say how much I appreciate their efforts in labelling their products vegan, but tell them that beeswax is not vegan and ask if that could be changed.
#5 Old 04-14-2006, 04:27 PM

Ack. Geez, thanks for pointing this out to me!! I wouldn't think they'd label something vegan if it had beeswax in it... I'll be sure to double check before I buy!
#6 Old 04-14-2006, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

They emailed me back and have updated their site. I told them that their Mai Tai Body Balm was falsely labelled vegan and there's no paw print there anymore! Still be sure to check if they missed anything else.
#7 Old 04-14-2006, 10:09 PM

I also called them today about a product they had labeled incorrectly as vegan (a lip gloss I believe, which had beeswax). He said they would eventually correct the error.

It's great that they changed the product you called about!
#8 Old 04-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Banned

I'm looking at the ingredient for XXX shine Gloss http://www.urbandecay.com/products/66200.cfm and although it says various colors are vegan, including the red, they list carmine as one of the possible ingredients. Carmin is of course a red pigment made from cochineal insects.

I might add the ingredient list is very confusing. It is hard, if not impossible, to tell which ingredients are in which products.
#9 Old 04-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Many companies which consider their products vegan/vegetarian think nothing of including insect extractives, like beeswax & carmine, & sometimes even other things like lanolin.

I'm finding it to be almost a lost cause.

The truly vegan stuff often has some v. harmful chemicals in it, which is why I could never recommend the Beauty Without Cruelty brand, even when I sold it.

Urban Decay is pretty, but I think, vegan issue aside, there are some pretty dodgy ingredients involved (petrochemical/coal tar derivatives). There used to be, when I stopped buying their lipstick, at least. It used to come in a cool bullet-like case, which I loved.
#10 Old 04-15-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

I might add the ingredient list is very confusing. It is hard, if not impossible, to tell which ingredients are in which products.

I noticed this also.

What vegan cosmetics do you all recommend, if any? I don't wear much makeup, but I like to wear a little.
#11 Old 09-12-2006, 10:43 AM

I am bumping this thread to say...

Urban Decay added an entire section to their website dedicated to VEGAN PRODUCTS!!

http://www.urbandecay.com/vegan.cfm

Isn't that nice? They even have a printable vegan shopping list!
#12 Old 09-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Veggie Regular

That's awesome!
#13 Old 09-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_VeganVixen View Post

That's awesome!

agreed!
#14 Old 09-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_VeganVixen View Post

That's awesome!

agreed!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page