Cruelty-Free Products that Actually Work? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-07-2006, 10:30 PM

I am having a devil of a time trying to find an all-natural, cruelty-free...well, here's the list:

1) Deodorant (it seems to me that a deoderant HAS to have aluminum to work. Unfortunately, all the all-natural brands say "no aluminum"! Don't get me wrong, I'd rather be a little sweaty than buy anything by P & G or whoever, but there's gotta be some compromise brand...if it doesn't work then it's just flushing money down the toilet, all-natural or not)

2) Toner (I have combination skin. I am using up the last of my non-animal tested but lactic-acid containing specialty stuff as I transition into veganism. The trouble I have with the organic toners is that they might have some good stuff in them, but then they throw in things like peppermint and witch hazel, just because it makes their products seem more botanical or whatever. When in fact both of those things are very irritating to skin, and I don't want to put them anywhere near my face!)

3) Topical acne stuff ( I just bought some apricot scrub and a Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil Blemish stick, at a Whole Foods employee's suggestion. So we'll see how they work. I've read that tea tree oil can be effective against zits, but not as much as benzoyl peroxide, although it does cause less irritation. However, most products that contain t.t.o. don't have a high enough percentage of it to make a difference..most of the products I looked at listed it as their second-to-last or last ingredient!)

I would love to hear any suggestions for all-natural stuff that REALLY works. Or even stuff that is man-made but still cruelty-free. Arrgghh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Hm. I, and several acquaintances have used witch hazel and found it to be pretty good on skin. It's really pretty gentle. I think the peppermint, they may put in just for the smell. I know when I was a goofball teenager, I loved that "SeaBreeze" scent..I thought it symbolized "clean". Since most "natural" toners don't contain alcohol/fragrance, they may be trying to mimic that "clean" scent.

I've actually not been using a toner for several years now. I wash my face and just started using a moisturizer. Are you using the toner for excess oils?

re: deodorant. I'm using Tom's of Maine, but I'm noticing that it's effectiveness is starting to wear off. I used a crystal stick previously, for about 4 or 5 years and it worked well, it just became hard to find them when I lived in OmniLand.

Acne stuff..I'm not sure what others will recommend, but I know Arbonne makes some products that are vegan, and some folks here highly recommended Pro-Activ, which is vegan, but I'm not sure about animal-tested. Choosing a mild (or no) toner may actually make a big difference, especially if the toner's too strong and drying out your skin.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 04-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I will stand by Arbonne's toner for normal to oily skin until I'm blue in the face. It's hands down the best toner out there, IMO. It is incredibly gentle and is perfect for break out prone skin. Toner should close your pores and restore skin's ph level. These are both important when it comes to fighting blemishes and maintaining healthy skin including keeping out free radicals and other icky things from the environment.

Peppermint is often added as an aromatic agent as well as it's benefits for the skin. It can promote microcirculation - giving you a healthy glow.

I'm not sure if you really do indeed have acne or just breakouts. I don't suggest Arbonne's acne line unless you really have bad acne. Like, BAD. Also, if you really do indeed have acne, you also shouldn't be using a scrub.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions. I'd be happy to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Beginner

i've heard green tea is a great toner. it's not cruel unless you burn yourself...
#5 Old 04-08-2006, 05:16 PM

I used proactive years ago and it worked, but my skin became really dry in certain areas.

Now, I use Burt's Bees Garden Tomato Toner and herbal blemish stick. The toner helps to shrink pores. I don't break out nearly as bad now, but it could be because I got older. It is mostly hormonal with me anyway, certain times of the month. The toner and blemish stick are also nice because they are natural, if you don't mind a little alcohol.

Garden Tomato Toner Ingredients: Filtered water, SD alcohol 40-B (from yellow corn), vegetable glycerin, extracts of cucumber, green tea, parsley, tomato, bilberry, sugar cane, sugar maple, orange and lemon (natural source of alpha-hydroxy acids), fragrance.

Blemish Stick Ingredients: SD alcohol 40-B (from yellow corn), calendula flower oil, borage seed oil, yarrow oil, parsley seed extract, willow bark extract, lemon oil, fennel oil, water, tea tree leaf oil, juniperus communis fruit oil, eucalyptus globulus leaf oil.
#6 Old 04-08-2006, 06:26 PM

1) Deodorant: I've been using Tom's Of Maine Anti-perspirant/Deodorant for awhile and I like it. It actually does have some sort of buffered aluminum. It the best I've ever found, though it is the first and only natural one I've used, so I can't compare it to other natural brands.

2) Toner- Can't really help with toner as I don't use one.

3) Topical acne stuff: I agree w/Sally about maybe not using a manual scrub if you have acne. I use Ecco Bella's Leave on Exfoliant (2% BHA, 6% AHA) and it's really awesome and I'm loving it. I don't have acne, but I used a cleanser that seriously clogged like every pore, so I got this to help get everything out of my skin. I think I'll continue to use it though because it's so gentle, yet very effective. This could help your skin b/c the AHA exfoliates the surface skin cells (instead of manualy exfoliating them) and the BHA goes deeper into pores to clean them out.

Ingredients:

Organic aloe vera, lemon and passionfruit acids, lactic acid, salicylic acid, xanthan gum, clay, organic extracts of oat, calendula, and licorice; Advanced antioxidant complex liposome encapsulated: 5% vitamin E with alpha, beta, delta, gamma, tocopherols and tocotrienols, vitamin C (ascorbyl palmitate), alpha lipoic acid, and carotenoid complex with astaxanthin, beta-carotene, lutein, lycopene, and zeaxanthin; essential oils of lavender, rosemary and geranium; dehydroacetic acid, benzyl alcohol, (mild preservatives).

http://www.mothernature.com/shop/det.../59268/S/98697

Whoops, I just realized this contains lactic acid...sorry!
#7 Old 04-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't use toner, but for topical acne stuff, there's a benzoyl peroxide gel by Mary Kay that has worked wonders for me.
#8 Old 04-11-2006, 10:35 PM

Deodorant...

I've been a fan of Tom's of Maine, though the last half-year I've been using Thai Crystal Deodorant Mist (ingredients: mineral salts and purified water). It may sound ineffective, but it's surprisingly good. I sit at a desk all day in a climate-controlled environment, so I really don't need anything strong.

http://www.deodorantstones.com/

The stuff lasts forever, too, so it'll save you cash. :-)
#9 Old 04-11-2006, 10:51 PM

I've been using tea tree oil on my blemishes at night. It really does seem to be working. It smells strong and make the spot look shiny so I don't use it during the day.
#10 Old 04-17-2006, 08:45 PM
Banned

Hi all!

I am new to the page. My name is Raina and I am an Arbonne Independant Consultant.

This isnt a sales pitch...lol

I just wanted to put this out there because one of the main reasons I chose to promote Arbonne is because it is Vegan approved. If anyone has any questions please do not hesitate to ask. ALL Arbone products are Vegan Approved, not tested on Animals, and do not contain human or animal by products in them. I have learned so much about the cosmetic industry from Arbonne and it's training.

I would love to educate anyone who is interested.

Feel free to email me at [email protected]
#11 Old 04-17-2006, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

For a toner I use Witch hazel with a couple drops of rosemary.

For deoderant I use mineral salts and they seem to work fine for me.

Acne stuff I do not know, I use a mix of yogurt and blended strawberries on my face but I do not have a pimple problem but that mix is not suitable for a vegan
#12 Old 04-17-2006, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by systmc View Post

Deodorant...

I've been a fan of Tom's of Maine, though the last half-year I've been using Thai Crystal Deodorant Mist (ingredients: mineral salts and purified water). It may sound ineffective, but it's surprisingly good. I sit at a desk all day in a climate-controlled environment, so I really don't need anything strong.

http://www.deodorantstones.com/

The stuff lasts forever, too, so it'll save you cash. :-)

i am allergic to everything and used toms for awhile but then couldnt anymore..so i am using deodorant stones and they are wonderful and no allergies.
#13 Old 04-17-2006, 10:36 PM

I hate to say this, and I don't want to make anyone mad, but spoken as a person whose in-laws are very "all-natural, organic granola" types, the Crystal/ clear rock thing eoderant does NOT work. You still have BO if you ar using this product. I firmly believe that it is marketed based on the fact that you get used to your own stink after a while, and do not notice the intensity of it.

Again, if you are using this crystal rock crap on your pits, please understand that it is USELESS and non-users can still smell you, and just don't say anything.

I'm all about helathy and organic, but I wouldn't want to encourage anyone to use a quack product and waste their money.
#14 Old 04-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy cricket View Post

I hate to say this, and I don't want to make anyone mad, but spoken as a person whose in-laws are very "all-natural, organic granola" types, the Crystal/ clear rock thing eoderant does NOT work. You still have BO if you ar using this product. I firmly believe that it is marketed based on the fact that you get used to your own stink after a while, and do not notice the intensity of it.

Hmm. Could it be a body chemistry thing that makes it not work for them/for some people? I'd think it depends on the person, but I normally use deodorant sticks, but occasionally will use the crystal, and for me the crystal does work-in fact better than many deodorant sticks do.
#15 Old 04-29-2007, 09:16 AM

I know you asked over a year ago, but THE BEST CRUELTY-FREE DEODORANT is AVALON ORGANIC's WILD YAM scented. It's great. I've tried several others and my skin is pretty sensitive, so they irritated my underarms or they didn't work to keep the stink away. If you're really working up a sweat, you'll probably need to re-apply sometime during the day, otherwise one application is enough. Also, the bottle lasts a very long time (about 6 months for me) with daily (sometimes multiple times daily) application.

I'm still trying to find a cruelty-free blemish product with benzyl peroxide.
#16 Old 04-30-2007, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy cricket View Post

I've read that the crystal rock does work for some people. However, when I used it, I still stank and had terrible b.o. I've been trying to find the right deodorant/anti-perspirant that's animal and cruelty-free and still works against b.o. Not too hard, right?
#17 Old 04-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootchick View Post

I've read that the crystal rock does work for some people. However, when I used it, I still stank and had terrible b.o. I've been trying to find the right deodorant/anti-perspirant that's animal and cruelty-free and still works against b.o. Not too hard, right?

yeah, the crystal didn't work AT ALL for me. neither did tom's tho.

i use jason's: only lavendar and 'natural scent' work for me. i've found that the "scent" of the stick is important for whether it works or not with your body chemistry.
#18 Old 04-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm still trying to find a cruelty-free blemish product with benzyl peroxide.

what about this one : http://www.danielkern.com/cart.php?t...&mode=gel_info

its not animal tested, and has no animal ingredients. i use it... its practically miraculous, lol.
#19 Old 04-30-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

what about this one : http://www.danielkern.com/cart.php?t...&mode=gel_info

its not animal tested, and has no animal ingredients. i use it... its practically miraculous, lol.

What do you use to moisturize after you use the BP gel?
#20 Old 04-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
What do you use to moisturize after you use the BP gel?

i don't use a moisturiser over it at night, and my skin is totally fine- doesn't get dry and crunchy or anything. in the morning... in the past year or two i've used a dr hauschka oil thing (free sample, was a bit oily, hehehe), an aloe vera gel (not quite moistury enough), a kiss my face moisturiser (worked fine), a lush one (also worked fine), a british oil free one made by the 'simple' brand (worked fine, ran out, not in britain now so aint got any more)... all sorts. i really need to pick a moisturiser and stick with it, i swap around a lot. i tend to use as little moisturiser as i can get away with cos i really don't need the extra oil- it just makes my foundation slide off.

i've read a book about skincare (the beauty bible, by paula begoun) recently which has really helped me to learn a bit about my skin. i've come to realise that if your skin doesn't feel very taut, dry or flaky, you often really don't need to smear moisturiser all over it at all, and oftentimes if it does feel dry and flaky, its due to using the wrong products in the first place. its really got me thinking about stuff, its a pretty good book .
#21 Old 05-01-2007, 03:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh..thanks for posting this! I've been struggling lately with small breakouts. I suspect it's post-pill related, as it's a pretty common side effect. I'm hoping it will go away eventually, but it's driving me crazy now. I was checking out Clearasil, etc. in the market awhile ago, but couldn't find anything that wasn't animal tested.

Yay!

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#22 Old 05-01-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

i don't use a moisturiser over it at night, and my skin is totally fine- doesn't get dry and crunchy or anything. in the morning... in the past year or two i've used a dr hauschka oil thing (free sample, was a bit oily, hehehe), an aloe vera gel (not quite moistury enough), a kiss my face moisturiser (worked fine), a lush one (also worked fine), a british oil free one made by the 'simple' brand (worked fine, ran out, not in britain now so aint got any more)... all sorts. i really need to pick a moisturiser and stick with it, i swap around a lot. i tend to use as little moisturiser as i can get away with cos i really don't need the extra oil- it just makes my foundation slide off.

i've read a book about skincare (the beauty bible, by paula begoun) recently which has really helped me to learn a bit about my skin. i've come to realise that if your skin doesn't feel very taut, dry or flaky, you often really don't need to smear moisturiser all over it at all, and oftentimes if it does feel dry and flaky, its due to using the wrong products in the first place. its really got me thinking about stuff, its a pretty good book .

Thanks for the info!
#23 Old 05-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

totally ot, but vj's cuuuuuuteee!

But um, yeah. I am going to look for that book. I've always had low-maintenance skin, but the the 30s arrived.

#24 Old 05-01-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

totally ot, but vj's cuuuuuuteee!

But um, yeah. I am going to look for that book. I've always had low-maintenance skin, but the the 30s arrived.

why thank you

I've never really had low-maintenance skin, so I hope I have the opposite experience from you and clear up more by the time I'm 30.
#25 Old 05-14-2007, 08:44 AM

Paula Begoun also has a website with free articles on skincare (and a great one on acne)

www.cosmeticcop.com

I use Retin A micro. It's the only thing that works. It's either that or misery every day.
#26 Old 05-14-2007, 09:16 AM

1.) I also use Thai Crystal deodorant stones, its amazing stuff, no BO.........(phew!) and it lasts and lasts, as in over 1 year. Its not sticky and naturally anti-bacterial (works on foot odor too) I get this from ebay.

2.) I dont really use Toners - sorry!

3.) I usually get acne around my nose and chin, gave up pore strips because they were expensive and not cruelty free. I now use Skinvac Pore Gripper, which really helps because it unclogs pore before they become acne. I get it from www.skinvac.com
#27 Old 05-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

We use lafe's deoderant and it works great, no BO.
#28 Old 05-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Beginner

I use Mitchum antiperspirant. It's not natural but at least they don't test on animals.
#29 Old 05-15-2007, 06:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I use rosewater as a toner. it is cleansing but without anything harsh or alcohol to burn you.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#30 Old 05-15-2007, 07:11 AM
Beginner

Oh, also:

Kiss My Face daily moisturizer is really good but I personally find it too heavy for daytime but it's a great nighttime cream.

Eco Bella eyeshadows...good quality, comparable to mainstream eyeshadows. Unfortunately, the purple I bought is matte and I prefer shinier eyeshadows but it's not Eco Bella's fault.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page