coffee creamer - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone know of a vegan coffee creamer. Seems all the non dairy ones still have milk protein or whatever. I would prefer the powdery kind. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I use Silk creamer. They also have a flavored one, but I forget if it's Vanilla or Hazelnut. I didn't like the flavored one. I buy the plain. I also LOVE alpro soya. I buy it from Pangea. It's not available right now, something about it coming from Great Britain. So I am waiting for them to re-stock their supply. It's just like heavy cream.
#3 Old 03-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I like Silk creamers. They are liquid though. I like both the hazelnut and the french vanilla. I have yet to find a solid creamer that doesn't use dairy in some way. I would love to find a "powered milk" that is vegan also. No luck there also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-25-2006, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

took me a while to get used to the soy in my coffee flavor, but yeah...french vanilla silk creamer...

Another idea is to use a little of the french vanilla soy and a bit more of almond milk (blue diamond seems to be the best). a well enjoyed treat: almond extract, a bit of sugar, and some almond milk. I make my coffee pretty strong, so it doesn't seem watered down by not using powders. Just food for thought, but my almond coffee rocks ^_^
#5 Old 03-26-2006, 04:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I must have been delirious when I first read the OP. I totally missed the "powdery kind". Anyway, I used to love the powdered Coffeemate. There is a powdered form of Soy Milk (like Carnation Instant Milk) but it's not a coffee creamer. It's called Better Than Milk. I wonder if there's something we can do to it to make it taste like a creamer?
#6 Old 03-26-2006, 04:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I realize you are not a raw foodist, but I make a great raw vegan coffee creamer. Here is the recipe...

Raw Vegan Coffee Creamer

1 cup almonds

1 cup spring water

3 tablespoons agave

1 vanilla bean (optional)

Directions: Soak almonds over night or at least 8 hours. Discard the water the almonds soaked in and rinse the almonds under the faucet. Blend the almonds with 1 cup of spring water. You may have to add a little bit more water to assist in blending, but only add enough to blend. Strain this mixture through cheese cloth into a bowl. Pour the strained almond milk back into the blender and add the 3 tablespoons of agave. You can adjust the agave to your taste but the creamer should be sweet. Scrape the vanilla beans from a sun dried vanilla pod into the creamer and finish blending. You now have raw vegan coffee creamer. Enjoy.

If you are not a raw foodist, you can simply sweeten the creamer with your own sweetener, it does not have to be agave. Also, if you are not a raw foodist, you can just use vanilla extract instead of whole sun dried vanilla pods.
#7 Old 03-26-2006, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Stupid question: What kind of coffee does a raw foodist use raw creamer in? ? ?
#8 Old 03-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenM View Post

Stupid question: What kind of coffee does a raw foodist use raw creamer in? ? ?

It is not a stupid question. I would wonder the same thing.

I just thought my recipe would work great as coffee creamer. I don't have a coffee that I use creamer in myself.

I make a chocolate mocha drink kind of like one of those cold starbucks drinks. I use raw carob powder, brazil nut milk, vanilla bean pod and raw agave. That is the closest thing I have to coffee.
#9 Old 03-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Ah, thanks for the answer.

by the way, the mocha drink sounds great, as does the creamer recipe.
#10 Old 03-27-2006, 10:14 AM
Beginner

I bought Taam-Tov vegan creamer (you could buy it online at http://store.foodfightgrocery.com/index.html.) I personally do not care for it. It's the usual white powder creamer, but without the dairy stuff in it.

One of my biggest obstacles in finding a substitute creamer, since going vegan, is that I like the 'thickening' action of creamer, not just the lightening effect. So, I was never a fan of dumping milk into my coffee (almond milk, soy milk, whatever).

But then I got to thinking about it - I like cappucino made with soy milk. Of course, in a cappucino, there's a lot more 'milk' than espresso. So, I've started adding a bigger portion of soy milk to my coffee - about 70% coffee, 30% soymilk. I think that tastes fine. (I think I would need to use even more almond milk, since that's a little thinner than soymilk.)

So, that's one alternative to consider - just use a lot more 'milk' than you're used to, and see how you like that. I also think this is good because I have cut down on the amount of coffee I'm drinking. That is, I drink the same amount of 'coffee' (I fill my thermos each morning, and that's my limit), but since there's more soymilk in there, I'm drinking less coffee. And I think that's good for me. (I already drink half regular/half decaf coffee, so this is just another way to help me drink less caffeine.)
#11 Old 03-27-2006, 11:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratebean View Post

I think I would need to use even more almond milk, since that's a little thinner than soymilk.

piratebean, actually my recipe is for almond cream and it is creamier than almond milk. You could not blend a more dense mixture as it takes 1 cup of spring water, minimum, to blend a cup of soaked almonds. It actually takes more than a cup of water, but I provided that amount as a beginning point.

If you want it to be thicker, you could blend in dates as your sweetener. This will gel up the almond creamer a little and give it more of a traditional creamer effect on your coffee.
#12 Old 03-28-2006, 05:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I really like the Taam-Tov nondairy creamer. They are sold in containers and packets for on the go. It reminds me of Creamora.
#13 Old 03-29-2006, 08:54 AM
Beginner

i've never seen the silk hazelnut creamer!!! just plain and vanilla, neither of which i like.
#14 Old 03-31-2006, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I bought Silk plain creamer the other day and it wasn't great. I don't drink coffee very often, so some of it might go bad before I use it. I don't like being wasteful, so I have to find something else to use it in too...Maybe I could add it to baked goods or make creamy mashed potatoes/sweet potatoes? Any other ideas?
#15 Old 06-11-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelWilson View Post

I realize you are not a raw foodist, but I make a great raw vegan coffee creamer. Here is the recipe...

Yahoo!! Thanks for this recipe... off to soak my almonds
#16 Old 06-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Veggie Regular

There IS a powdered vegan creamer on the market. I have not tried it myself, but after being stranded at work too many times with no creamer, I'd like to give it a try.

FoodFight apparently carries it, but it out of stock at the moment:

http://store.foodfightgrocery.com/cocrtub.html

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#17 Old 06-13-2008, 03:39 AM
Veggie Regular

LovelyPerv, that't the one I use. It is really good. Pangea and Veganessentials sell it as well, but you can only get the packets at Veganessentials.
#18 Old 06-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Both Pangea and VeganEssentials have it in stock.

It's about $4.9X per 12oz tub, and each tub has "170 servings."

On both sites, shipping starts at $6.99 or so, and goes up by small incredments from there. It's something you'd want to purchase alongside other things you'd buy in order to make it worth it.

A local health/veg/kosher store I frequest carries a lot of the same specialty items you'd find on those three sites (and others), and I HAVE noticed that the prices online are the same as you'd find if you could buy it off of a shelf.

So, it's worth it if you're buying a bunch of stuff you can't get any other way.

Edited to add: The reviews I've seen for this are mixed (not just the ones on Vegan Essentials). It seems that you either love it or hate it. I'll drink 8-hour old coffee using expired creamer, and a sugar packet I found behind the fridge...so I'm pretty sure I'll like this stuff.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page