Cruelty-Free Hair Dye? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone know of any hair dye that is not tested on animals? Peferably something that I can buy at a well-stocked drug store, but I'll take any suggestions. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't used them, and I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but lush do a range of hennas in different colours: http://usa.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/c...xpand=Haircare
#3 Old 02-16-2006, 11:59 AM
Beginner

here in the Uk we can get Daniel Field hair dyes in Sainsburys supermarket. They may have a website?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-16-2006, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I hear L'orel (sp?) is against animal testing.
#5 Old 02-16-2006, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's a list of haircare/haircolour companies that do not test on animals.

Aubrey Organics

Aveda

Bath and Body Works

The Body Shop

Bumble and Bumble

Conair

Crabtree & Evelyn

Jason Natural Cosmetics

John Paul Mitchell

Kiss My Face

Manic Panic

Nexxus

Revlon

Tom's of Maine
#6 Old 02-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

L'Oreal is on PETA's DOES test list.

I use Herbatint, which does not test on animals. It's available in health food stores.
#7 Old 02-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morna View Post

Unfortunately, L'oreal does test on animals. It includes Garnier, Lancôme, Matrix Essentials, Maybelline, Ralph Lauren Fragrances, and Redken.

Booooo
#8 Old 02-16-2006, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

if you want unnatural colors RAW hair dye is 100% vegan.
#9 Old 02-17-2006, 01:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I stand corrected. Sorry for the misinformation on L'Oreal. I'd go with Revlon, they make good stuff.
#10 Old 02-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Beginner

I thought L'Oreal didn't test on animals, but the company that owns/controls/distributes them tests on animals. Could anyone give me information on this (not from PETA) if I am wrong!! I just bought something from Maybelline yesterday because when I e-mailed them about their animal testing policies, they said they haven't tested on animals since 1989.

BTW, I use Herbatint hair color which is cruelty-free and when I contacted them they said it was vegan (although I'm still not 100% sure since companies will sometimes lie to you). It is permanent dye but you can dye it different colors (ex. you dye it red, then decide you want to go blonde) which was my alternative to henna since I've heard some horror stories.
#11 Old 03-22-2006, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morna View Post

L'oreal has always tested on animals and lied about it, nanosomes! etc these are new ingredients this company has invented and are therefore obliged to test on animals. High profile, popular company, beautiful famous women advertising their latest ridiculous miracle cream, they need to keep coming up with the goods as they are leaders in their field. Until they stop inventing new ingredients they will continue to abuse innocent animals.
#12 Old 05-24-2006, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post

if you want unnatural colors RAW hair dye is 100% vegan.

does this stuff work well?
#13 Old 05-24-2006, 02:58 PM

IKISSTREES or anyone else, I'm thinking about using Herbatint to help with my current hair disaster. I have naturally light brown hair but died it dark brown a while back. It always turned black. So, when I decided to stop doing it, I was left with black on the ends and light brown at the top. Last night we cut about 4 inches off my hair and got rid of a lot of the black. From your experience, do you think the Herbatint would cover it or would I be left with something that resembles a burnt carrot?

Thanks for any responses!
#14 Old 05-26-2006, 02:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by differentdaisy View Post

IKISSTREES or anyone else, I'm thinking about using Herbatint to help with my current hair disaster. I have naturally light brown hair but died it dark brown a while back. It always turned black. So, when I decided to stop doing it, I was left with black on the ends and light brown at the top. Last night we cut about 4 inches off my hair and got rid of a lot of the black. From your experience, do you think the Herbatint would cover it or would I be left with something that resembles a burnt carrot?

Thanks for any responses!

My opinion is, if you are having serious hair issues, you should go to an experienced colorist at a salon. At home coloring is always a bit iffy, but doing it yourself when you've already got one "disaster" going on isn't a good idea.
#15 Old 05-26-2006, 03:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethanY View Post

does this stuff work well?

yes. it colors your hair, and anywhere else you actually get it.

and it doesnt burn at all, its basically like conditioner you put in your hair but it stays in it for a long time. i used it to put some funky purple polka dots on my dalmation too.
#16 Old 05-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post

yes. it colors your hair, and anywhere else you actually get it.

and it doesnt burn at all, its basically like conditioner you put in your hair but it stays in it for a long time. i used it to put some funky purple polka dots on my dalmation too.

bleach first or no?
#17 Old 05-26-2006, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

depends on how dark you want it.

my brother had black hair (dyed. so its more powerful then normal black hair color) and didnt want to bleach it, i put in purple streaks and you could see it in the sun but in the dark it just looked black. i would bleach it if you want it more viberant.

one thing though, do NOT. buy the pink RAW hair dye. it doesnt work at all, it washes out right away.
#18 Old 05-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Vez

Stargazer, Manic Panic, Special Effects and Directions all make non-tested vegan hair dye which is free from ammonia and peroxide, and therefore doesn't damage your hair (it actually improves its condition).
#19 Old 05-28-2006, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I've had really good luck with the LUSH Henna. I have dyed my hair for 20 years and I read that people who use chemical hairdye for over 15 years increase their risk of bladder cancer so I switched to LUSH. I like the henna--it is weird and gloopy and smelly but the colour comes out good and lasts a long time and the big "chocolate bar" of henna you buy lasts ages. I buy a bar for around 6 quid and it lasts 3 times.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#20 Old 05-28-2006, 07:23 PM

I can't say enough good things about Lush's henna. I just did it yesterday. It conditioned my hair like you wouldn't believe and I absolutely love the color. It's a warm chocolate brown indoors and it have the prettiest burgundy highligts in the sun. The smell is divine. I used the Caca Maroon. There are 6 squares. I used 2. My hair is way past my shoulders, a couple inches from the middle of my back. I have enough henna to do it 2 more times.

What color did you use Spidergrrl?

I'm totally addicted to Lush.
#21 Old 05-29-2006, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SotallyTober View Post

I can't say enough good things about Lush's henna. I just did it yesterday. It conditioned my hair like you wouldn't believe and I absolutely love the color. It's a warm chocolate brown indoors and it have the prettiest burgundy highligts in the sun. The smell is divine. I used the Caca Maroon. There are 6 squares. I used 2. My hair is way past my shoulders, a couple inches from the middle of my back. I have enough henna to do it 2 more times.

What color did you use Spidergrrl?

I'm totally addicted to Lush.

Sounds like a great product. My hair is about the same length as yours. I wonder if it would be enough for my hair. I've got pretty thick and curly hair. I usually need two boxes of commercial hair dyes.

This could be something to look into next time. Thanks.
#22 Old 05-29-2006, 09:01 PM

It sure would be enough. You'd use 3 out of the 6 squares I'm guessing.
#23 Old 10-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikisstrees View Post

BTW, I use Herbatint hair color which is cruelty-free and when I contacted them they said it was vegan (although I'm still not 100% sure since companies will sometimes lie to you). It is permanent dye but you can dye it different colors (ex. you dye it red, then decide you want to go blonde) which was my alternative to henna since I've heard some horror stories.

a few of you have mentioned that you use herbatint and here it is mentioned that you can dye colors on top of already dyed colors? is this correct? i'd appreciate the feedback.
#24 Old 10-03-2006, 11:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Fairly-ish old thread but since it's been bumped...

Jerome Russell, according to their website, doesn't test.

They make Punky Colour which has turned my hair a delightful shade of Apple Green, as well as the bleach powder and creme which allowed the dye to show in my near-black hair.

HOWEVER, I haven't looked into:

a) If they test ingredients, or if they purchase from testers.

b) Where the glycerine and unpronouncable chemicals come from.

So I couldn't tell you if it was vegan. I was just happy to see "We test on employees, not animals" on the packaging! [And I was two hours from home and I'm not in a position where I can get it anywhere else.]
#25 Old 10-04-2006, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I use one square caca marron and one square caca rouge to make a reddish brown. Henna is great but you must NEVER put it on over conventional hairdye--it will supposedly do strange things like go the wrong colour. I let my colour grow out before I tried it.

As for Herbatint--I used it and liked it (it didn't have that chemical smell) but i found the red colours faded quickly. Like in 2 weeks.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#26 Old 10-05-2006, 09:03 PM

special effects makes some vegan colors.
#27 Old 10-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vez View Post

Stargazer, Manic Panic, Special Effects and Directions all make non-tested vegan hair dye which is free from ammonia and peroxide, and therefore doesn't damage your hair (it actually improves its condition).

agreees!

I use stargazer (the other 2 wash out well fast) and people always ask how its in such nice condition (like, every other time i leave the house)
#28 Old 10-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Beginner

special effects/raw and manic panic colors are hit-or-miss with me. bright reds never want to stay very long; i used to reapply sin-a-min or hot rod red color every two weeks or so (letting it sit for several hours) because it faded very quickly. however, i have had special effects' purple passion color in my hair for nearly a month, and it's still bright (it's initially quite dark, which shocked the crap out of me when it was rinsed out--it makes hair nearly black for the first couple of weeks). bleaching is generally not needed unless your hair is dark, or if you want a red color. showering using only shampoo before dying, and blowdrying until the hair is completely dry, should make the hair porous enough to take the dye for longer periods of time. i'll be experimenting with manic panic and jerome russel's lighter purples in upcoming months. never heard of stargazer, though, but i may have to order some in the future if it is long-lasting.
#29 Old 10-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Beginner

I hear henna totally dries out one's hair. I have to dye my hair almost every two weeks, it grows so fast.
#30 Old 10-15-2008, 05:24 PM

I've been using EcoColors hair color for about a year, they do not test on animals. I always get compliments on my hair color!

Their web site is http://www.ecocolors.net

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page