Annie Chun's Miso/Udon Soup - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-11-2006, 01:49 AM
Veggie Regular

This product appeared recently on the store shelves. The company a few vegetarian soups and a few non.

I'm currently eating the Miso Soup, but I've had the Udon too, and both are enjoyable but have some things worth mentioning beyond the food.

The soup bowls contain a plastic pouch with already moist and soft noodles, a foil pouch of miso paste, another foil pouch of dried vegetables and tofu.

The vegetables come out quite fresh and the miso is pleasantly subtle. The tofu though winds up being rather weak and spongy.

One of the most interesting parts of the package is that the bowl is made mostly from cornstarch which can be composted or trashed.

Over all, the price is a bit much more than I'd like to pay, and even though the bowl is biodegradeble, the plastic overwrap with the three smaller pouches inside still generate a considerable amount of trash.

It's not a flavor explosion, but it's worth trying. I forsee getting these soups occasionally when the sales hit.

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitof99 View Post

This product appeared recently on the store shelves. The company a few vegetarian soups and a few non.

I'm currently eating the Miso Soup, but I've had the Udon too, and both are enjoyable but have some things worth mentioning beyond the food.

The soup bowls contain a plastic pouch with already moist and soft noodles, a foil pouch of miso paste, another foil pouch of dried vegetables and tofu.

The vegetables come out quite fresh and the miso is pleasantly subtle. The tofu though winds up being rather weak and spongy.

One of the most interesting parts of the package is that the bowl is made mostly from cornstarch which can be composted or trashed.

Over all, the price is a bit much more than I'd like to pay, and even though the bowl is biodegradeble, the plastic overwrap with the three smaller pouches inside still generate a considerable amount of trash.

It's not a flavor explosion, but it's worth trying. I forsee getting these soups occasionally when the sales hit.

haven't seen those but i'll have to try them when i do.

i'm crazy about miso soup
#3 Old 01-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I really like the miso soup, and I just got the udon soup today. This product made me realize I love udon noodles. They're nice and thick and chewy, really satisfying to the mouth. It's expensive, though! It makes me really want to learn about using my own miso so I can make my own miso soup with udon and tofu.

I have one of the "biodegradable" lids sitting out back, half covered with dirt and debris to see what really happens to it. I just put it out there the other day. I'll report back in six months!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never tried the packaged version, but make something similar on my own by boiling udon, adding cubes of tofu and some leafy greens (generally baby kale) during the final minute, then reducing the heat and stirring in miso/dwenjang paste. Right before eating, I sprinkle crushed red pepper and green onion on top.
#5 Old 01-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried it a while ago, I really didn't like the texture of the noddles. It looked gross and I couldn't finish it, its too thick.
#6 Old 01-15-2006, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningCalm View Post

I've never tried the packaged version, but make something similar on my own by boiling udon, adding cubes of tofu and some leafy greens (generally baby kale) during the final minute, then reducing the heat and stirring in miso/dwenjang paste. Right before eating, I sprinkle crushed red pepper and green onion on top.

MMMmmmm... basically the same way I make miso with udon, (I have no idea what dwenjang paste is, I asume it's miso?) only I always add shredded fresh ginger and crushed garlic. Yum. I could drink gallons of miso!!

Never heard of the product mentioned in the thread title, by the way... I don't use many pre-packaged things so might have overlooked it.
#7 Old 01-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried the Teriyaki Udon bowl today. The noodles were great, and the teriyaki seasoning was not bad, but I just wasn't crazy about the two combined. As for the bowl, I cut it into pieces and put them in my worm farm to see how/if it degrades.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page