fake veggie burgers at resturants - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-28-2005, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I dont know if this is the right place to put this... i was talking to my moms friend lately, and she said that she saw a program on tv about resturants selling veggie burgers that have meat in them, just because they dont care and they want to get veg. customers. i was wondering if anyone else has heard of something like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-28-2005, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Never heard of it but would not suprise me too much.

I don't trust restaurants particularly, unless they are vegan eateries.
#3 Old 12-28-2005, 08:56 AM

according to the symbolism of the logo, the snow falling on the "VEGGIEBOARDS" type indicates the 'winter-phase' (or an imposed condition of non-tropicality). The tropics symbolize the pure land original diet-lifestyle proponents. coconut, durian, mamey, mango, jackfruit, et al.

and now...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-28-2005, 09:29 AM
Min
Veggie Regular

Ive never heard of that either but would be a little upset to find out that I was deceived that way.
#5 Old 12-28-2005, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I never go out to eat, but if that happened to me, I'd be VERY upset. If I ever get into a situation where I have to go to a restaurant, I'd order something like pasta, veggies, or a salad and I'd specify that I am vegan, so no cheese, broth, butter, or "fake"/"mystery" meat.
#6 Old 12-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't of such a thing, but the possiblity boggles the mind. Surely restaurants woudl be afraid of LOSING an entire market once they're caught doing it and word gets araound... and if they are doing it, they WILL get caught eventually.
#7 Old 12-28-2005, 10:01 AM

save yourself

sever corporate culture, and set her free

restaurants, hollywood, chump chains

x-mas too
#8 Old 12-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Beginner

When I was about 10 or so I ordered a veggie-burger in a Johnny Rockets (is that what it's called???). It may not have been a 100% meat burger, but I remember tasting something really weird, and then asking the waiter if it was a veggie burger, or if they messed up my order. The waiter said something like, "yeah, it's a burger w/ veggies."

I think the veggie burger was really a carcas w/ veggies thrown in... ewww...

Yeah, so I don't think it's unknown... but...
#9 Old 12-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Beginner

Never heard of meat in a veggie burger before, but I wouldif it was found to be true. I have heard that some veggie burgers contain dairy in them (I believe milk or casein.) If a company can find a whey to inject an animal product into a friggin veggie burger..... well now that's just a shame!
#10 Old 12-28-2005, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I really hope that companies aren't using meat in veggie burgers, but I would not be suprised at all.
#11 Old 12-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Banned

"burger" is an abbreviation for hamburger. My guess is this: a hamburger is a dish once popular in Hamburg, Germany. It is ground up fresh meat made into a patty seasoned with salt and pepper, and few if any other seasoning, that is broiled or fried. The dish became popular in other cities, and so if you wanted the dish in another city, you asked for a hamburger. If you were in hamburg, you just asked for the house specialty.

That said, a veggieburger would be either (1) a dish popular in Veggieburg, North Dakota, made from boiled vegetarians or (2) a hamburger flavored with diced vegetables in addition to salt an pepper.
#12 Old 12-28-2005, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

ew and EW. I don't usually eat veggieburgers at restaurants for that particular reason.. you never know where they get it from and they may just have a fatty steak cooking right next to it on the grill oozing all of that fat goo onto it. Yuck.
#13 Old 12-28-2005, 02:18 PM
Beginner

I wonder why the companies don't just call it a veggie patty?

Didn't soy milk companies have to drop the "milk" and call it a soy beverage since it's not really made with milk? Hmmm... makes me wonder how they can still be called veggie "burgers" then.....
#14 Old 12-28-2005, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I've heard of this type of thing happening at McDonalds, but it may just be urban legend.

Most veggie burgers available in restaurants are not Vegan. I know that the black bean burger at Chilis contains cheese, and there is also trace dairy in the Boca burger at Red Robin. I email Red Robin about once a month and fill out lots of comment cards asking them to go dairy-free with their Boca patty.

There is egg in the veggie burger from Burger King.

All this being said, I think most veggies would notice if they were fed dead cow. I got a seven layer burrito once where they put beef in it instead of rice, and I took a big bite. I almost threw up and I had to brush my teeth and gargle with mouthwash to get the taste out of my mouth
#15 Old 12-28-2005, 06:11 PM
Banned

Vanilla bean
Quote:
Didn't soy milk companies have to drop the "milk" and call it a soy beverage since it's not really made with milk?

I still see items labelled "soy milk" in my local market.

Quote:
Hmmm... makes me wonder how they can still be called veggie "burgers" then.....

Hee hee hee.

The word burger means city dweller I think. Comes from the word burg, meaning city. A hamburg is not a ham patty. It is a patty in the style commonly offerred in the city of Ham City.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/48/H0034800.html

A hamburg steak is the actual word that hamburger derives from. A steak of the style eaten in Hamburg.

So a veggie burger would be anything of the style eaten in Veggie City, or -- veg city. A Veg City patty, a Veg City stew, a Veg City sandwich, etcetera.

It would not be incorrect to call a plant-matter patty a hamburger. It would be like if there was a style of bread eaten in New York City called a New York City Loaf. After awhile people would abbreviate that and say "give me a new yorker" the same way they abbreviate, and say give me a hamburger.
#16 Old 12-29-2005, 10:02 PM

[QUOTE=dietcoke]When I was about 10 or so I ordered a veggie-burger in a Johnny Rockets (is that what it's called???). It may not have been a 100% meat burger, but I remember tasting something really weird, and then asking the waiter if it was a veggie burger, or if they messed up my order. The waiter said something like, "yeah, it's a burger w/ veggies."[\\QUOTE]

Great, that's totally a place I wanted to go to someday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSSHF View Post

All this being said, I think most veggies would notice if they were fed dead cow. I got a seven layer burrito once where they put beef in it instead of rice, and I took a big bite. I almost threw up and I had to brush my teeth and gargle with mouthwash to get the taste out of my mouth

I ordered a veggie burger at a restaurant once and it was really meat... I thought it looked weird, but Bocca looks pretty meaty so I took a bite and immediatlely I knew it had meat in it. I was really, really embarrassed that I'd taken a bite so I swallowed it - I was with my bf's parents - and even after they replaced it with a veggie one I was too sick and gagging to eat it, had to take it home... you can usually taste even the slightest bit of meat in your food if you don't eat it at all ever. If there is a little piece of beef in my burrito, for example, I know it's there. You can tell when there is broth in things too, usually. So I wouldn't worry TOO much... anything strange you'll notice right away I think.
#17 Old 12-30-2005, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

how could you NOT know though? mcdonanlds are usually 25% soy anyway so theyre 75% beef, even if some stupid place made a half azz veggie burger with 25% beef, you WOULD Know, i would discect it lol. then when i say they served me the wrong burger and they insist it is a veggie burger id flip the **** out in the middle of the restaurant and start shouting how there is no excuse for mouse **** to be on my plate lol, whole place will empty out. ill come back the next day too and do the same thing until i see proof of gardenburger boxes or something lol.
#18 Old 12-30-2005, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

[QUOTE=PirateAargh]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietcoke View Post

When I was about 10 or so I ordered a veggie-burger in a Johnny Rockets (is that what it's called???). It may not have been a 100% meat burger, but I remember tasting something really weird, and then asking the waiter if it was a veggie burger, or if they messed up my order. The waiter said something like, "yeah, it's a burger w/ veggies."[\\QUOTE]

Great, that's totally a place I wanted to go to someday!

I ordered a veggie burger at a restaurant once and it was really meat... I thought it looked weird, but Bocca looks pretty meaty so I took a bite and immediatlely I knew it had meat in it. I was really, really embarrassed that I'd taken a bite so I swallowed it - I was with my bf's parents - and even after they replaced it with a veggie one I was too sick and gagging to eat it, had to take it home... you can usually taste even the slightest bit of meat in your food if you don't eat it at all ever. If there is a little piece of beef in my burrito, for example, I know it's there. You can tell when there is broth in things too, usually. So I wouldn't worry TOO much... anything strange you'll notice right away I think.

lol that sucks, im kinda rude when somehting like that happens, i mean i dont go out of my way to like make a stink about it but if i bit into something loaded iwth meat id probably just open my jaw and drop all out lol. would look pretty nasty im sure, id be kinda in a shock or something, i wouldnt ever swallow it for sake of the other people, then later on theyd harrass you for eating meat if you havnt eaten anyin xx years or something, plus would gross me out and i couldnt swallow it if i knew it was meat anyway.
#19 Old 01-01-2006, 01:09 AM

I'd be very surprised if veggie burgers anywhere actually included any meat, given the recent $10 million McDonald's lawsuit for beef flavoring in their fries. That would be a suicidal business, no?
#20 Old 01-02-2006, 04:16 AM

Well, I was beyond embarrassed at that point (when I bit into the burger)... the room was spinning and my face was so hot I thought I was going to combust, so I didn't really think about it... heh... but it wasn't for the sake of anyone else, I was in a bit of shock as well... I couldn't even speak, I had to just hand my plate to my bf and point, and finally I whispered to him that the burger tasted funny, and immediately his entire family said, "THAT'S MEAT!!!" Haha... what an incident...

Yes, I suppose that's another good reason... no one wants a lawsuit!
#21 Old 01-03-2006, 05:15 AM
Veggie Regular

That's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Where's the proof?
#22 Old 01-03-2006, 05:21 AM
Veggie Regular

You mean "Where's the beef!?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

That's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Where's the proof?

#23 Old 01-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean View Post

Didn't soy milk companies have to drop the "milk" and call it a soy beverage since it's not really made with milk?

See definition:

Quote:
milk n.

3. A liquid, such as coconut milk, milkweed sap, plant latex, or various medical emulsions, that is similar to milk in appearance.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycoolcats View Post

then when i say they served me the wrong burger and they insist it is a veggie burger id flip the **** out in the middle of the restaurant and start shouting how there is no excuse for mouse **** to be on my plate lol, whole place will empty out. ill come back the next day too and do the same thing until i see proof of gardenburger boxes or something lol.

...and that, my friend, is why people think we're crazy.

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#24 Old 01-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean View Post

I wonder why the companies don't just call it a veggie patty?

Didn't soy milk companies have to drop the "milk" and call it a soy beverage since it's not really made with milk? Hmmm... makes me wonder how they can still be called veggie "burgers" then.....

Nope. I still buy "soy milk". http://www.healthydelight.net/shop/i...4253260619.jpg
#25 Old 01-04-2006, 05:01 AM
Beginner

I like to tell them I'm allergic to meat.
#26 Old 01-04-2006, 05:02 AM
Beginner

Don't they get soy milk from milking the little soybean nipples? "You can milk anything with nipples."

LOL

Subway has a veggie "patty".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page