Hair care products - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm just wondering what shampoos everyone uses that aren't tested on animals. I know paul mitchell products are not tested on animals, but i want to have a bigger variety of shampoos that I can use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-17-2005, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Dove & Herbal Essences
#3 Old 12-17-2005, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I am always searching for good hair care products from companies that don't test on animals.

I alternate cheap stuff with Pureology. That's too expensive to use it all the time, so I save it for special occasions.

VO5 products aren't tested (I think), but I emailed them yesterday asking about animal ingredients. I'm pretty sure they use them, I'll post their email here if they ever write back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-17-2005, 04:19 PM

either Natures Gate or Jason.
#5 Old 12-17-2005, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Scruples products from the salon are not animal tested and do not contain any animal ingredients (well the last batch of stuff I bought didn't anyway - it said so right on the label. I love that!).

Alba products are nice too. They make a range of hair and skin products. You can get them at the HFS or a good drug store.
#6 Old 12-17-2005, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been using JASON and Dove.
#7 Old 12-17-2005, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon toast View Post

Scruples products from the salon are not animal tested and do not contain any animal ingredients (well the last batch of stuff I bought didn't anyway - it said so right on the label. I love that!).

Alba products are nice too. They make a range of hair and skin products. You can get them at the HFS or a good drug store.

I love Scruples, but have to drive to Kansas to the Supply house to get them. Also Alba is not supposed to be sold in drug stores, just like all the other Salon products. Most of them say on the back not gaurenteed unless purchased in a hair salon, like Paul Mitchel, Sebastian, Redkin, etc. But some how they get away with it. Maybe it has changed since I have been out of the business.

Also, I want to say Back to Basics, but could be wrong. I have not bought their products for awhile. As a matter of fact I need to go to State Beauty supply this week. I was thinking about checking on some of these products and the lables again.
#8 Old 12-18-2005, 12:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goettling View Post

I love Scruples, but have to drive to Kansas to the Supply house to get them. Also Alba is not supposed to be sold in drug stores, just like all the other Salon products. Most of them say on the back not gaurenteed unless purchased in a hair salon, like Paul Mitchel, Sebastian, Redkin, etc. But some how they get away with it. Maybe it has changed since I have been out of the business.

Also, I want to say Back to Basics, but could be wrong. I have not bought their products for awhile. As a matter of fact I need to go to State Beauty supply this week. I was thinking about checking on some of these products and the lables again.

Oh, that's interesting. I didn't realize Alba was a salon product. I've never seen it in salons up here.

Are these the products you are referring to?

http://www.albabotanica.com/
#9 Old 12-18-2005, 06:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Freeman products, tres semme(sp?). nexxus.
#10 Old 12-18-2005, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Why not support companies that make actual natural & certified organic & vegan formulas, intead of companies who use SLS, parabens & other toxic crap but say they are "cruelty-free"?

You're being cruel to yourself & the planet by using these chemical-laden but "cruelty-free" shampoos/etc.

I recommend & use Druide, Giovanni & some Aubrey Organics (watch out- not all Aubrey is veg*n, but most is & they have clear labelling). I'm sure there are others as well where you live.

I won't buy the chemical crap that claims to be a "totally organic experience" because it's still garbage & those companies are just jumping on a bandwagon, for who knows how long.
#11 Old 12-18-2005, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Because not everyone can afford expensive things.
#12 Old 12-18-2005, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular

BUt bluegrrl, I'm hardly wealthy. I always bought Kiss My Face or one of the above brands when they were on sale, when my social assistance cheque came in, & used it sparingly (all you need is a little good shampoo/conditioner, in truth).

In fact recently I bought a discounted bottle of KMF Sahaira shampoo for 4 bucks.

When I look at Salon Selectives & all that toxic stuff, it costs more than that.

The other brands I mentioned seem to range between $8-$12 Canadian where I buy them, & a bottle lasts me at least a couple of months.

My hair is healthier for it, & no worries about animal torture & ecological impact.
#13 Old 12-18-2005, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I use Zero Frizz products from Advanced Labratories (I think) and LaCopue perfect curls products.

Since I don't have 'normal' hair, its very hard for me to find hair products that work well for me, let alone organic or cruetly free ones.
#14 Old 12-18-2005, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Catguurl, I *highly* suggest you check out Aveda & Giovanni if you want salon-type styling products without the cruelty & toxins!!

I am buying the Giovanni straightening serum on Tuesday.

Both brands really have a full range of styling/care products to suit all needs.
#15 Old 12-18-2005, 03:37 PM

Citre Shine makes some vegan products (you'll have read labels) and they're around $4 a bottle. I too, have found that, at least in drugstores/markets, that the cruelty free stuff is pretty expensive (Alba, Jason, Paul Mitchell, etc.)

If you live near a Trader Joe's or a Whole Foods, both of these stores offer store brands that are good and only cost about $2 a bottle.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#16 Old 12-19-2005, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon toast View Post

Oh, that's interesting. I didn't realize Alba was a salon product. I've never seen it in salons up here.

Are these the products you are referring to?

http://www.albabotanica.com/

Nope, I was wrong, it is Abba that I was thinking. I had to look it up.
#17 Old 12-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by organica View Post

The other brands I mentioned seem to range between $8-$12 Canadian where I buy them, & a bottle lasts me at least a couple of months.

My hair is healthier for it, & no worries about animal torture & ecological impact.

Well see I'm used to buying shampoo/conditioner for under $2 a bottle But someone just mentioned Trader Joe's and Whole foods brands are cheap, if I did switch over it would be to that I guess.
#18 Old 12-20-2005, 09:57 PM

Aubrey Organics. I supplement with baking soda and apple cider vinegar. Aubrey Organics run from $8-$13.

I stopped using the $2 bottles of shampoo with SLS and DEA in it. I found out it was the reason my hair was falling out in clumps and making my scalp itch. Up until then I thought it was dandruff. My scalp and hair are now much healthier and no more itching - even in the winter.

#19 Old 12-21-2005, 12:37 AM
Beginner

I use Giovanni and at times Lamas.
#20 Old 12-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I use VO5, it's 67 cents for a bottle of shampoo or conditioner and it works for me.
#21 Old 12-21-2005, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sunflower* View Post

I use VO5, it's 67 cents for a bottle of shampoo or conditioner and it works for me.

I've tried that but it makes my scalp dry and itchy.
#22 Old 12-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrrrl79 View Post

V05 is fine for normal healthy hair but otherwise, forget it.
#23 Old 12-21-2005, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemydragon View Post

V05 is fine for normal healthy hair but otherwise, forget it.

Agree, Tonight I went to Sally's and bought the generic to Aveda for the first time. It smells the same, has the same ingredients. Also the Cherry Almond Bark is a good conditioner. (I think that is the name.) Cost much less.
#24 Old 12-22-2005, 05:01 PM

I use Aubrey Organics shampoo for oily hair. It's really expensive, but I think it's worth it. I pay attention to sales and price comparison between stores, so sometimes I can save a little. I don't use conditioner, though, because it's so expensive and doesn't make much of a difference on my hair. I sometimes use some Aveda conditioner lying around, though.
#25 Old 12-23-2005, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrrrl79 View Post

Yeah, no wonder: sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate &/or annoimum sulfate are the cleansing agents in cheap crap shampoos like V05.

Sorry, if you don't buy decent brands, I find it hard to feel sympathy for dandruff, itching, hairloss, dryness, etc.

If I could buy vegan natural shampoo on an monthly income of $550, with $400 going to rent, I can't comprehend how an $8-$12 bottle of quality shampoo that will last around 2 months is too pricey.
#26 Old 12-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by organica View Post

Yeah, no wonder: sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate &/or annoimum sulfate are the cleansing agents in cheap crap shampoos like V05.

Sorry, if you don't buy decent brands, I find it hard to feel sympathy for dandruff, itching, hairloss, dryness, etc.

If I could buy vegan natural shampoo on an monthly income of $550, with $400 going to rent, I can't comprehend how an $8-$12 bottle of quality shampoo that will last around 2 months is too pricey.

That's why I DON'T buy V05 shampoo...and I never asked anyone to feel sympathy for me. Also, I prefer not to live paycheck to paycheck. If I bought expensive things then I would be.
#27 Old 12-24-2005, 05:46 PM

I admit we don't have too much spare money, but we always manage. For many years I have gone to my natural foods store bringing my own containers. I refill from bulk anything I can, including shampoo and cream rinse. And now I am happy to be able to by these products with organically grown oils. I buy almost everything organic because pesticides etc are murder on wildlife. Recently after getting over my joy of having the organic option I noticed that the shampoo and cream rinse where rather expensive. So now I use less and dilute it with water more and it works just as wellin fact I think better.
#28 Old 12-27-2005, 06:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I bought Abba conditioner from my grocery store, and it seems to be working really well, and its vegan too. has anyone else used it?
#29 Old 12-27-2005, 01:45 PM

I confess I haven't carefully read everything in this thread, but just in case, PETA and Physicians for Responsible Medicine to name just two have handy very little booklets you can carry with you when buying any number of products. They are yours for the asking. Next time I will read everything so not to be redundant, am in a hurry this am. Hope that helps.
#30 Old 12-28-2005, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I use Biolage (they don't test on animals) but I think I'm going to switch to Aveda when I run out of this stuff.. I found out that there's an aveda store relatively close by, so I won't have to go far to buy it. Any particular aveda products that are better than others? I don't know anything about their stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page