Protein shake powders - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-25-2003, 01:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I just tried the GeniSoy Chocolate Shake protein powder. Ew. I've managed to chug half the cup down, but I think I've reached my breaking point; this stuff is awful. I've had good experiences with their power bars, so I thought I'd give this stuff a chance. I think I'm going to take it back to Wild Oats.

Can anyone recommend other protein shake powders to try? I've gotten some stuff at GNC in the past that has been passable, but nothing yet that has tasted outright good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-25-2003, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I was going to ask the same question. And I could be wrong but can't you add a couple spoonfuls of protein powder to smoothies sometimes? Someone told me this, never tried it.
#3 Old 06-25-2003, 03:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Fenguin

I've gotten some stuff at GNC in the past that has been passable, but nothing yet that has tasted outright good.

I wouldn't say any that I've tried (I've tried about a dozen) have tasted "outright good" but a few are more tolerable in the right recipe. There aren't any good ones, nutritionally-speaking, that are good with just milk. Trader Joe's is by far the best value, I'd say, and it's not bad if you conteract the texture with banana, tofu, or something smooth like that. "Zone Perfect" is not AS nutritious, but is probably the easiest to mix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-25-2003, 04:45 PM

I use Peaceful Planet by Veg Life, in vanilla. I do put it in my smoothies, so it tastes great that way, but I have no idea how it tastes just mixed with soymilk or something. I do like to give my money to vitamin lines who make a point to offer vegan alternatives, so that's mainly why I use this kind.

http://www.nutraceutical.com/about/veglife.cfm
#5 Old 06-25-2003, 05:48 PM

I use the flavorless one from veganessentials. You can add it to anything you want. It's like tofu and will take on the flavor of whatever you add it to. It's Freeda Ultramino Soy Protein Powder and has 15 grams of protein per 3 tablespoons. Relatively cheap, too, IMO.

For chocolate protein shakes, I use Naturade Bavarian Chocolate. It's also vegan & contains 13 grams of protein per 2 scoops. I recently found it at K-Mart for 1/2 price! Otherwise, it's usually about 12 or 13 bucks.

As far as money goes, the Ultramino will give you more for your buck. There are 30 servings in a container and it costs $13.50 (I think). Naturade only gives you 13 servings.
#6 Old 06-25-2003, 08:18 PM

Just started using the Peaceful Planet stuff myself.I drink it with soymilk that's all,unless cheating and then with a shot of choc. syrup!
#7 Old 07-22-2003, 01:25 PM
Beginner

I love spirutein. it comes in a ton of flavors...it's non gmo and 100% vegetarian. I blend it up with some ice, vanilla soy milk and sometimes throw in some fresh or frozen fruit. yum!
#8 Old 07-22-2003, 01:35 PM

Spirutein is tasty, but it is very high in sugar, and not vegan due to the bee products. They do have alot of great flavors, though.
#9 Old 07-22-2003, 05:49 PM
Beginner

oh no...there are bee products in spirutien?!

oh geez...is spirulina a bee product?

I feel soooo stupid!

giving the spirutien away tonight : (
#10 Old 07-22-2003, 06:51 PM

I got this other stuff called Omega Blast from veganessentials. It's really thick, but has like 20 grams of protein.Taste wise it was a little funky at first but now I'm sold!(a little pricey too)Great for pre-ride meal!
#11 Old 07-22-2003, 07:42 PM

I have never used any protein shake powders, but I use the BTM soymilk powder (plain has no sugar!) and mix with soymilk and other goodies for groovy shakes... See thread on recipe board

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...threadid=8174. I am sure it is pretty high in protein and I <3 these shakes.
#12 Old 07-22-2003, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Odd! GeniSoy was the only one I actually liked. What did you mix it with?

Faery Girl: Spirulina itself is vegan, but the brand Spirutein uses bee something or another.
#13 Old 07-28-2003, 04:01 PM
Beginner

damn. thanks for the info, CharityAJO!

I could've sworn that I checked for bee related ingredients...ugh.
#14 Old 07-28-2003, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Faery Girl

oh no...there are bee products in spirutien?!

oh geez...is spirulina a bee product?

I feel soooo stupid!

giving the spirutien away tonight : (

Spirulina is algae.

I did have one customer tell me that algae was not vegan -- they said it wasn't really a plant -- but this was the only person I ever ran across that thought spirulina was not vegan.

IIRC, Spirutein has bee pollen, but I would have to look at it to make sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page