What vegan foods do you wish you could buy? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-09-2005, 10:49 AM

This isn't a review but I'm curious about other people's experience...there seem to be vegan "substitutes" or "replacements" for almost anything, and I'm slowly starting to try many of them. For any non-newbies, do you find there are food products that you still have a hard time finding good vegan versions of??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

CHEESE!

It's the only thing I miss.
#3 Old 11-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegan bangers and rashers (available, but only overseas )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Ditto on the cheese. I was a huge cheese lover and ate it every day. I haven't found a thing that even comes close to the taste of good old cheddar cheese. Or parmesan. Or provolone. Or feta. You get the idea.

Before I went mostly vegan, I even tried an organic cheese but even that was horrible.

They have good butter replacers (Earth Balance - yummy!) but I guess cheese is too hard to duplicate or something.
#5 Old 11-09-2005, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Cheese, glorious cheese!
#6 Old 11-09-2005, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure if you mean vegan items that do exist, but just not in MY neck of the woods (like Silk Coffee Creamer and vegan whole grain bread with NO whey or other animal products, also vegan tamales and bakery fresh vegan chocolate chip cookies)...

OR: Do you mean items that there is not yet a "good" vegan substitute for... (like cheese, cheese and cheese.) Oh, and I'm sorry, but as someone who grew up on REAL butter, Earth Balance is in NO way, shape or form an 'equal' to butter... it's fairly good as margerine, but it is NOT even remotely close to butter...
#7 Old 11-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Oh, and I'm sorry, but as someone who grew up on REAL butter, Earth Balance is in NO way, shape or form an 'equal' to butter... it's fairly good as margerine, but it is NOT even remotely close to butter...

lol.... Well yeah, agreed. I suppose I should have said margarine instead of butter.
#8 Old 11-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Decent veg*n bacon. The stuff I can get here is the yuck!
#9 Old 11-09-2005, 08:16 PM
Veggie Regular

vegan nori
#10 Old 11-11-2005, 07:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I wish I could buy Earth Balance and Silk here in Korea. As it is, I've given up on baking anything that can't be made with oil, and I'll soon be making my own rice milk, as I just discovered that ALL of the commercially-produced soy milk over here contains D3.
#11 Old 11-11-2005, 07:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon toast View Post

Decent veg*n bacon. The stuff I can get here is the yuck!

Yeah, this. (The same thing as bangers I think.) I want BREAKFAST SAUSAGE!!! ...All the veggie ones have egg-white in them.
#12 Old 11-11-2005, 08:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I wish I could buy soy boy tofu ravioli and silk creamer in vanilla and hazelnut, but they don't carry those things in Canada.
#13 Old 11-11-2005, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I want a vegan Twix candy bar, anyone know of anything similar?
#14 Old 11-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkmommy View Post

I want a vegan Twix candy bar, anyone know of anything similar?

Mmmm...Twix. I haven't had a candy bar since going veg*n. I miss them.
#15 Old 11-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenM View Post

vegan nori

nori isn't vegan ?
#16 Old 11-11-2005, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post

nori isn't vegan ?

That's news to me too.

Other than vegan cheese I've been able to find really good substitutes for just about everything. Since I'm not vegan it's not a big deal (to me). But I know a good vegan cheese would make a lot of people's lives a whole lot better.

Is there something specific that you're looking for? If so we can make suggestions. Some of those things aren't widely available though, that's the only bad thing.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#17 Old 11-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Nori is traditionally seasoned with bonito (fish powder). Unseasoned varieties are available. ... They're just a lot harder to find outside of natural food stores.
#18 Old 11-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

nori isn't vegan ?

I haven't been able to find a manufacturer who can assure me that their nori isn't grown on mollusk shells. And all the web searches I've done on nori cultivation show that it's necessary to start the spores on mollusk shells.

So even though the nori doesn't actually contain animal ingredients, it did require animal products to produce it, so I can't consider it 100% vegan. (just like beer & wine clarified with gelatin, refined sugar filtered with bone char, etc)
#19 Old 11-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

.... i'm sorry but i just don't get it

you eat plants that grow from soil, filled with all kinds of bacteria from decomposed animals and animal feces .... so why can't you eat something that grows on shells ?
#20 Old 11-11-2005, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

.... i'm sorry but i just don't get it

you eat plants that grow from soil, filled with all kinds of bacteria from decomposed animals and animal feces .... so why can't you eat something that grows on shells ?

If the nori grew naturally on the shells, I'd consider it vegan. However, you actually have to obtain mollusk shells (minus the mollusk inside) in order to commercially cultivate the spores. See pictures:

http://www.mbari.org/staff/conn/bota.../lisa/cult.htm

http://www.safariseeds.com/Algae/seaweeds-algae.htm <--scroll down to see the strings of shells

One could argue that the shells probably come from commercial seafood processing plants that would be disposing of the shells anyway. But that's what they say about bone char and gelatin too.
#21 Old 11-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

alright, i get it now

thanks for explainging
#22 Old 11-11-2005, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Mostly everything I want a replacement for, I can find but I try only to only substitute for non-vegan items ocassionally anyway. Something (besides cheese) that I wish could have a vegan substitute is meringue... I miss those yummy little meringue cookies and such... and angel food cake.
#23 Old 11-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd love to be able to buy vegan soymilk right here in the very town where I live. Or vegan chocolate. Or vegan personal products (lotions, shampoos, soaps, etc.) Pretty much the only things vegan around here are fruit, vegetables, and grains in their whole, unaltered forms. And while yeah, that is pretty durn good.....it's just not enough. Until things change radically around here (hopefully within the next century) veganessentials and the like had better never go out of business.
#24 Old 11-11-2005, 11:17 PM

Follow Your Heart cheeses, and Vegan Gormet mozzarella. I've heard they're good.
#25 Old 11-12-2005, 01:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegan tuna...gross, I know...but I really miss tuna sandwiches.
#26 Old 11-12-2005, 01:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MezzoEmi View Post

Vegan tuna...gross, I know...but I really miss tuna sandwiches.

There's a product called "Tuno" that is really supposed to be quite similar. It comes in a frozen form that you thaw (I've had this and it is quite "fishy") and it comes in a canned form too - I saw this once and it gagged me - I thought it looked and smelled like catfood - of course so did real tuna, to me, so I guess maybe it's similar too...

do a "search" here and you'll come up with several threads about "Tuno" and faux fishy products...
#27 Old 11-12-2005, 01:53 AM
Veggie Regular

^^^ There is a thread somewhere by Misq which is about Tuno. I tried the canned variety, and it was ehhh. I took the advice from the thread and rinsed it under cold water until the slimy yuck was gone from it and then mixed it with vegannaise and relish and added black pepper. It was decent, but not world-rocking. It reminded me of a tuna sammich, but not exactly so. Then again, it's been over 16 years since I had a tuna sammich so what the hell do I know? I tried feeding a bit of it to my cat Trinity and she ate it up post haste. So apparently it passes a feline test....

As for me, I just wish I could find nutritional yeast here, so I could try Punkmommy's nacho cheese recipe. I can find the majority of vegan products here but not that for some reason. Vegan chocolate is also hard to find, but I don't really miss chocolate so it's not that big of a deal.

I do miss nachos though.
#28 Old 11-12-2005, 02:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

As for me, I just wish I could find nutritional yeast here...

Perhaps someone who lives in a place where nutritional yeast is readily available could send you some...
#29 Old 11-12-2005, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I can pick some up for you the next time I go to the Co-op here, it's not a problem really...haha look he will have like 20 containers of nut yeast in a week or so.

Then I could send you my super secret artichoke/spinach dip recipe.
#30 Old 11-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Cheese, I guess. Vegan Gourmet is the only one that I will eat and fortunately, I only crave cheese like twice a year. Still, if there were a better vegan cheese, i bet that I would eat it much more often, just because it would bring more variety to my dishes. ALso, candy bars. I'll eat a Luna bar in place of one, but it's just not the same. Honestly though, I feel like my diet has expanded so much since becoming Vegan that I really don't look back too often on things that I used to eat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page