Earth Shoes Recommendations - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-23-2005, 01:34 AM

Ok, I'm really into the idea of getting a pair of Earth Shoes for work, maybe a pair to wear around, but I've read mixed reviews. Most people I've found reviews for love them, but a few say things like "Magnetism 2 sticks to my feet and makes sucking sounds" or "The heels make me fall down the stairs." Well, I probably wouldn't have a problem with the latter review, because I want something with a platform, but I'm having a hard time finding many reviews, and I'd like to know what people think before I shell out the big bucks. The ones I'm really interested in:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/8569855/c/15497.html Earth Vanessa, platform clogs, the most expensive but look perfect... Zappos says they have leather lining but they're vegan everywhere else... so I don't know...

https://secure11.nexternal.com/share...owID=1375&All= I love the red although I don't have much to match it, they're on sale for half the price of the others! I'd probably get black for work though...

So those two are the top two contenders... if any of you have those or any other Earth shoes please tell me what you think of them!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-23-2005, 09:15 PM

i think zappos is mistaken about the vanessa. i have it and it's totally vegan. i got mine from mooshoes. the negative heel is no problem for me. and they've been a rare pair of shoes that i could just put on and wear all day with no chafing, no breaking in period. i always wear with socks. i can see where they might make funny noises if you didn't.
#3 Old 10-23-2005, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried on a pair of Earth Shoes at MooShoes and I wasn't sure about them so I didn't buy them. I may go back since I need new shoes and try them again, I just felt the negative heel was weird and I did not want to spend a $100+ and not be sure if they were right. I hghly recommend MooShoes as they are vegan owned and their prices are actually lower then Zappos. www.mooshoes.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-23-2005, 09:47 PM

What exactly is a negative heel?
#5 Old 10-24-2005, 05:09 AM

here is some info about earth shoes and the negative heel.
#6 Old 10-26-2005, 09:13 PM

Ok, the negative heel info on the Earth Shoes website is good, but a little too vague... well, for me at least. I guess it just is better to know what others think. I have located some places that sell the shoes, but I work all the time and don't have time to try them out. I'm wondering what everyone thinks of them compared to other shoes... is there a big difference with the negative heel? Are they hard to get used to? Or are they just really comfy when you put them on? Those ones on veganessentials.com are only $40! Seems like a steal compared to others. So, do you think it's worth it to take a plunge and just order a pair?
#7 Old 10-27-2005, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't worn Earth Shoes for many years, but when I last did, I remember absolutely loving them. They take a bit of getting used to, but once you do, you'll either love them or hate them.

This thread makes me want to get a new pair!
#8 Old 10-27-2005, 09:03 PM

They sound so awesome, and I'm SO desperate for a good pair of shoes. I work retail and have to run up and down the stairs all day, and we're not allowed to stand in one place because we don't look busy, so by the time 9 hours goes by, I can barely walk. I walk to and from work up and down a hill. I might just buy them.
#9 Old 10-28-2005, 09:10 AM
Beginner

Here is a link to the vegan section of the earth shoes web site. I hope it helps.

http://www.earth.us/Fall2005catalog....omen&cat=VEGAN
#10 Old 10-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I just bought a pair of Earth Shoes, and the were 40 bucks on veganessentials.com. Look in the clearance section. They are pink blue and green. I like them, I had always wanted a pair, but I am too cheap (actually, I think the word I am looking for is 'poor') to spend more than 50 bucks on shoes.
#11 Old 10-28-2005, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Are these shoes Fair Trade?
#12 Old 10-28-2005, 10:34 PM

I'm going to try a pair of sandals from Veganessentials, either the red ones or the green ones because they're on sale for $40, but now I just have to pick which ones :-P

Ok, just one more question... do those of you with Earth shoes buy your regular size or do they run big/small? The shoes I'm going to order are non-returnable...
#13 Old 10-30-2005, 12:18 PM

Earth shoes are made in China under the standard lousy conditions. Earth is owned by MDA Shoe (a company that produces huge amounts of cheap shoes for WalMart). Earth shoes are made in uncertified factories and their workers are required to live on the premises in group dorm rooms. It is surprising that a number of vegan stores carry these shoes, nonetheless.
#14 Old 10-30-2005, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycler View Post

Earth shoes are made in China under the standard lousy conditions. Earth is owned by MDA Shoe (a company that produces huge amounts of cheap shoes for WalMart). Earth shoes are made in uncertified factories and their workers are required to live on the premises in group dorm rooms. It is surprising that a number of vegan stores carry these shoes, nonetheless.

Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that these Earth Shoes and the ones carried by Walmart come from completely different companies.
#15 Old 10-30-2005, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, poopy. I need to find very sturdy fair trade vegan shoes. My husband has horrible feet (he calls them "bags of oatmeal") and he goes through shoes very quickly. We are both very hard on shoes because we spend a lot of time outside on rough surfaces.
#16 Old 11-02-2005, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbunnicula View Post

Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that these Earth Shoes and the ones carried by Walmart come from completely different companies.

Yes, it's MDI Shoe that owns Earth. This is the same company that produces cheap shoes for Walmart. The quality of the shoes differs, but the company is the same. See www.earth.us and scroll down to the bottom to see that they are actually MDI. Ask Earth Shoes why they do not have their China factories certified by an NGO (third-party non-governmental organization) like New Balance and some other large manufacturers do?
#17 Old 11-03-2005, 12:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Responses from Earth Shoes at their message boards last year:

http://www.earthvegan.us/display_message.asp?mid=876

http://www.earthvegan.us/display_message.asp?mid=760

Also, the Vegan Freaks spoke to some Earth Shoes reps at the Boston Food Fair recently, and you can hear from them by listening to the most recent podcast (or, subscribe through the iTunes Music Store and subscribe to An Animal-Friendly Life while you're there).
#18 Old 04-15-2006, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateAargh View Post

Ok, the negative heel info on the Earth Shoes website is good, but a little too vague... well, for me at least. I guess it just is better to know what others think. I have located some places that sell the shoes, but I work all the time and don't have time to try them out. I'm wondering what everyone thinks of them compared to other shoes... is there a big difference with the negative heel? Are they hard to get used to? Or are they just really comfy when you put them on? Those ones on veganessentials.com are only $40! Seems like a steal compared to others. So, do you think it's worth it to take a plunge and just order a pair?

which ones ar $40?!?!?
#19 Old 04-15-2006, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

A side comment to the China comment on the earth boards linked above:

I wear Chacos, which are made in Colorado (I've been on the floor there). I pay $95 for mine (first pair was $78)

No slave labor, no animal products.

Not sure why Earth couldn't do it.

Earth Shoes (vegan) are comperable in price with my Chacos.
#20 Old 12-05-2008, 04:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateAargh View Post

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/8569855/c/15497.html Earth

I have visit that zappos.com and I also find one Zappos Coupons but I don't know where to put that coupons code??
#21 Old 12-06-2008, 11:16 AM

Because they're all made in China under questionable working conditions. No factory certifications for fair trade, fair labor, co-op american approved, or anything else. Similar to shopping at Walmart, FYI.
#22 Old 01-02-2009, 08:25 PM

The negative heel is interesting, It seems like something you would have to try to be sure about. --Cerri

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page