Show Trader Joe's the love... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-17-2005, 08:18 PM

I swear, every time I go to this store, I find something cooler. This year, I've discovered super-smelling/cheap/vegan shampoo and conditioner, Mango/Peach/Orange juice , really awesome moisturizing lotion, this stuff called Birhyani. Just a couple of weeks ago, I found vegan chocolate covered cherries/fruits.

The staff is *always* friendly and have given me good tips on everything from how to recycle, good movies and where to get a vegan manicure. Not to mention the *****in' music. heh

TJ's rocks!

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-17-2005, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I love TJ's too. I don't know if I could ever live in a city that didn't have one......it would be very difficult.
#3 Old 06-17-2005, 09:05 PM

I love TJ's

by the way, I noticed we have similar vb names.. lol... but you've been here way longer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-17-2005, 09:38 PM

by the way, I noticed we have similar vb names.. lol... but you've been here way longer...
#5 Old 06-18-2005, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Hee Hee I find something new every time I am in there. I get my soynut butter from them because their brand is less oily. Last night, I found microwaveable brown rice that is ready in 60 seconds!!! And the luna bars were $.99. I can't believe that I lived 28 years of my life without them.
#6 Old 06-18-2005, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

YES!!! Trader Joes!! I agree, the staff members alone are almost worth the visit... I always end up asking questions and discussing things with them and I'm not getting any shopping done and they aren't getting their work done...

And the 99-cent Luna Bars ROCK!! I always stock up when they're that price!! Love it!!
#7 Old 06-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post

I love TJ's too. I don't know if I could ever live in a city that didn't have one......it would be very difficult.

Welcome to my world.....
#8 Old 06-18-2005, 03:20 PM

Microwaveable brown rice....ooh, that would be great for me at work!

Begins planning her next trip to TJ's

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#9 Old 06-19-2005, 08:18 AM
Min
Veggie Regular

I love TJ's its been a while since ive been able to go but next time I do it will be a whole different experiance for me because I was still eating meat so its going to be extra fun. Its funny I didnt realize they had so much veggie stuff I guess because I wasnt looking for it before
#10 Old 06-19-2005, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I wish I had a Trader Joe's...but alas, there are none in Canada (that I know of anyway).
#11 Old 06-19-2005, 09:20 AM

Cherry Almond Crunch cereal.

Mango Coconut Thai Sauce (awesome on just about anything).

Organic 3 Grain Tempeh.

They have a huge selection of Cliff and Luna bars too.
#12 Old 06-19-2005, 09:34 AM
Min
Veggie Regular

Ok since I started reading this thread ive decided to get off my butt & go see what goodies I can find See ya soon!
#13 Old 06-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm going back to TJ's tomorrow.
#14 Old 06-19-2005, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

No Trader Joe's, Wild Oats or Whole Foods here.
#15 Old 06-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

Welcome to my world.....

I feel your pain.

C.
#16 Old 08-26-2005, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Revisiting this thread.

What's your opinion on Trader Joe's vs. Whole Foods? Does TJ have a bulk section? Both stores are about 30 minutes from me (a new TJ will be opening soon about 10 minutes away!) and I'm wondering which store has more of a selection.
#17 Old 08-26-2005, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Welcome to my world.....

I feel your pain, Brandon. I LOVED shopping at TJ's when I lived in SoCal... now back in the wilds of Texas with no TJ's. Very sad.
#18 Old 08-26-2005, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post

Revisiting this thread.

What's your opinion on Trader Joe's vs. Whole Foods? Does TJ have a bulk section? Both stores are about 30 minutes from me (a new TJ will be opening soon about 10 minutes away!) and I'm wondering which store has more of a selection.

TJs doesn't have a bulk section whereas WFs does. I find the prices to be a bit better at TJs for some items but there are more brands to choose from at WFs. I personally prefer TJs. If I want to buy bulk items I go my local HFS.
#19 Old 08-26-2005, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Hhmm...I really like Whole Foods bulk section, and my husband likes the fact that they roast their own coffee. I'll probably just wait to visit TJ when they open in my area. Thanks Rani.
#20 Old 08-26-2005, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I think WF may be more veg*an friendly overall, but you can still do very well at TJ's. You just may not be able to find everything you want at TJ's.

*this space not for sale*
#21 Old 08-27-2005, 02:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Whole Foods will have more organic options, too, if that's a concern of yours.
#22 Old 08-27-2005, 06:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Trader Joe's doesn't deserve the love.

http://www.hsus.org/farm_animals/far...aged_eggs.html

https://community.hsus.org/campaign/traderjoes

https://community.hsus.org/campaign/...es/explanation

They actually defended the practice of battery caged hens on their website.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#23 Old 08-27-2005, 07:15 AM

Well, I started the thread before the TJ's issue was made public by the HSUS, however, I've wondered (in other threads): Why is TJ's different than any other store? Do folks boycotting them plan to avoid Safeway, Jewel, Publix, etc. as well?

I haven't shopped there since learning of this whole brouhaha, but I'm not sure that I will boycott them. I just don't think it's as black and white as HSUS makes it out to be. They sell meat, milk, all sorts of other stuff too. :/

#24 Old 08-27-2005, 07:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Welcome to my world.....

mine too actually .... *sigh*

i have 2 "whole foods" and another health food store all 10 minutes away from be but the closest Trader Joe's is an hour and a half away, but i've never even been to Trader Joe's !!!!
#25 Old 08-27-2005, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Re. why TJ's got this campaign rather than Safeway - it's probably because of their market situation and how they are seen and promote themselves. There's also a chance for success with TJ's, where there isn't with Safeway at this point. I don't think it's a boycott campaign anyway - I think it's an education and pressure campaign. People can go there, I just don't think TJ's deserves love

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#26 Old 08-27-2005, 09:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Granted, Trader Joe's may have issues - but as IamJen mentioned, I don't think the issue is black-and-white...I'll still shop there, I still like a lot of what they carry - and it's about the only "health"(?) food option in my area...

Quote:

Welcome to my world.....

Awww... Brandon and Vicky and all you TJ-deprived people... - do you need a Trader Joe's "Care Package"?
#27 Old 08-27-2005, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Like I said, I don't think it's a boycott campaign. I think The Humane Society is just asking people to let TJ's know what they think about the policy.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#28 Old 08-27-2005, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbunnicula View Post

I wish I had a Trader Joe's...but alas, there are none in Canada (that I know of anyway).

No TJ's, boo hoo.
#29 Old 08-27-2005, 11:37 AM

We don't have a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's here, but I don't think I'm not missing anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Well, I started the thread before the TJ's issue was made public by the HSUS, however, I've wondered (in other threads): Why is TJ's different than any other store? Do folks boycotting them plan to avoid Safeway, Jewel, Publix, etc. as well?

I haven't shopped there since learning of this whole brouhaha, but I'm not sure that I will boycott them. I just don't think it's as black and white as HSUS makes it out to be. They sell meat, milk, all sorts of other stuff too. :/

Baby steps
#30 Old 08-27-2005, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Awww... Brandon and Vicky and all you TJ-deprived people... - do you need a Trader Joe's "Care Package"?

No no no.

See, what they need to do is come to VeBoCon, and we can take them to Trader Joe's to experience it themselves.

Care package..pfft...what were you thinking?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page