Athletic socks and vegan athletic shoes for walking - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I was hoping that those of you on VB who are physically active and/or do a lot of walking could help me with this subject. I have socks that are uncomfortable when I walk a lot. Most of them are not "athletic" socks except for three pairs of Adidas socks that I got at Big 5. They all have "grooves" that bother the soles of my feet. They also make my feet sweat a lot. Also, I have comfortable walking shoes, but they are leather. I bought a pair of "athletic" shoes at Payless that are all man-made, but after wearing them for just half a day to walk around a museum, my feet hurt, and since they're from Payless, I doubt these shoes are high quality shoes for walking. Granted, this was the first time I had worn these new shoes, so maybe they needed "breaking in", like leather shoes do.

1. Can anybody recommend athletic socks that are comfortable and don't make my feet sweat? What do you wear?

2. Can anybody recommend good, high quality, vegan shoes for walking? Don't be afraid to tell me if the shoes you wear or know about are expensive. I'll gladly pay more if they are really comfortable and are high quality.

I'm going on vacation this month and I expect to do a fair amount of walking. I'll take what I have unless I can get something better based on recommendations here. Thank you!

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

1. Can anybody recommend athletic socks that are comfortable and don't make my feet sweat? What do you wear?

2. Can anybody recommend good, high quality, vegan shoes for walking? Don't be afraid to tell me if the shoes you wear or know about are expensive. I'll gladly pay more if they are really comfortable and are high quality.

I'm going on vacation this month

1. er...... uh.......ummmm......just good quality cotton socks ?

2. er.......I've heard good things about newbalance shoes ?

Vacation ? you'll be MIA ?
#3 Old 06-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Banned

1. Socks. I tend to buy new balance cotton socks, if sweating is a problem in cotton you can get socks that are made with moisture wicking fabric (aka coolmax, dri fit, etc.) They aren't cheap but if you sweat in cotton thats the only way to go. I but a lot of (generally not sock related) stuff from tenniswarehouse.com and they have really good service and really good prices on clothing and I know they sell lots of socks.

Shoes, new balance. Go to a New Balance store if you can. They have industry best customer service. They will measure the length and width of both of your feet and recommend shoe styles that are good for you foot shape (ie pronated, supinated, flat arch, high arch etc). Just walk in, tell them you want non leather walking shoes, they will narrow it down to a couple of choices for you and get you the perfect size. Expect to pay $80 and up but I walk a lot and generally get 18 months out of a pair of New Balance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-02-2005, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I just bought these shoes. http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/2128056/c/744.html I've owned the previous models (754 and 755) and they were very light, comfortable, and held up well.
#5 Old 06-02-2005, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Gulp! Well, I saw 1vegan's comment about New Balance, but I was waiting to see if there were other recommendations. That's three for New Balance so far.

You're not going to believe this, but there's a New Balance store just several feet from where I'm sitting. It's directly across the street from the office building where I work. I'll pop in after work today and see what they can do for me!

Thank you.

#6 Old 06-02-2005, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Personally... I was always the one in gym class standing in the corner not doing anything unless the teacher saw me and yelled at me, but...

Shoes= New Balance. Some of them are even still made in America. Check the label, as last time I went shoe shopping, there were a few pairs with some leather in them. I bought men's shoes this time because they felt better on my feet than the women's did. Even the non veg*ns wear them, next time you're in a doctor's office, see what shoes that the nurses are wearing, most of the time (at least here) you'll see new balance. But, get them as soon as you can, because mine took a while to break in, they were really tight, almost uncomfortable at first, but now, they fit great... I could yammer on about how I like my new balance shoes forever...

As for socks. Don't get 100% cotton, when you sweat, they stay wet... and just ewww.. My dad, who bicycles a lot always seems to reccomend getting ones that has similar fiber content to this, but, honestly, anything with synthetic materials (and even cotton blends, given that the cotton fiber content isn't too incredibly high) will help keep your feet dry by wicking the moisture away from your feet and dry feet=happy you. Believe me. I walked to school in the rain a few weeks ago while wearing cotton socks, and when I got home, my toes were still wet, and.. just.. ew. it was bad.
#7 Old 06-02-2005, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular

New Balance lol
#8 Old 06-02-2005, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd go with New Balance or Asics for shoes. I personally use Asics (the Kayano) and I love them, but I use to sell shoes and New Balance is also a great brand.

Socks - just find some with CoolMax or the equivalant that helps to draw sweat away and keep your feet cool. I also wear Asics socks but they are hard to find.
#9 Old 06-02-2005, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Plastic Straw View Post

I just bought these shoes. http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/2128056/c/744.html I've owned the previous models (754 and 755) and they were very light, comfortable, and held up well.

OMG look at the socks to go with the shoes...I love em!

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/5208105/c/45281.html
#10 Old 06-02-2005, 09:00 PM

New Balance, definitely. My aunt bought me a pair of New Balance shoes about 3 years ago and I still have them. Most of the time I was wearing them I was walking on hard concrete all day. They are the best shoes I've come across.

As far as socks...the socks I got when we got the shoes are still going strong. I've never had any other socks as good as these before. I love wearing them and I don't even like socks. Unfortunately, I do not remember the name of them as it's been a long time since I've been to that particular store and I also just checked them and they don't have a brand name on them.

I'm going to be heading to that store soon and I'll be doubly sure to look up those socks for you. What size do you wear?
#11 Old 06-02-2005, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm normally 5 1/2 (yeah, I have small feet! ), but for athletic shoes I usually consider a 6 to allow for thick socks.

#12 Old 06-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Crud.

I found this thread and was really looking forward to the responses. $80 is much more than what I can pay for shoes. Which is unfortunate, because what I have is on their last legs. I have one pair of Chucks that are about five or six years old that just don't feel as comfortable as they used to be and another pair has worn spots on the soles. I alternate--the Chucks with the worn soles I wear for short walks; the other ones, for longer walks.

I also have a pair of canvas K-Swiss that are also not as good as what they used to be. (They, along with a pair of Chucks are left over from high school--10+ years ago.)

I found these on Alternative Outfitters. They're only $25. With shipping, they'll come just $1.50 over my $30 limit. I don't mind (much) because they're vegan. (Yes, I'm that poor. Until I found these, I thought I was going to have to go with second hand shoes and pray for the best.)

I definately want something that's high quality and will last at least a year.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Laura
#13 Old 06-18-2005, 11:06 PM

dte..if you hunt around, you can find New Balances on the cheap. They sell them at Kohl's and TJMaxx around here, and I even saw some at Payless a few years ago.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#14 Old 06-20-2005, 08:04 AM
Banned

You know, I came to this thread and was going to sheepishly suggest New Balance, because many of their shoes are vegan and I just assumed that anything is better than Nike as far as child labor issues.... I now feel somehow vindicated for buying New Balance for my husband and I! ;-)

Watch for sales at your local department stores. And those pesky evil coupons. I even tend to ask them WHEN something will be going on sale, sometimes they know a week in advance when the new tags come in. An experienced shoe seller will be able to spot the trends pretty well for you. I also would NEVER spend $80 for shoes, but then again, I'm not a runner so my feet have very basic needs. I got our New Balance walking shoes for $29.99 on sale.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page