VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Product Reviews (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/23-product-reviews/)
-   -   Vegan hiking boots (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/23-product-reviews/32648-vegan-hiking-boots.html)

Rani 04-19-2005 01:37 PM

Can anyone recommend good vegan hiking boots? I've checked out a few sites online that seem to have good quality shoes (comfy and durable) but at the prices these things come at, I would prefer to get some reviews before having to take the plunge. Thanks!

GhostUser 04-19-2005 01:53 PM

My husband and I both have Garmonts, which I highly recommend. They needed no breaking in and have been holding up for us very well for two years now. Definitely worth the $$!

Rani 04-19-2005 02:09 PM

Those are the one's that I had my eye on too. A bit on the pricey side but sounds like it's worth it. I think I just might have to make a trip to REI this weekend and pick me up a pair of those boots. Thanks so much Rowan!!

kirkjobsluder 04-19-2005 02:29 PM

I ended up going to payless and getting a pair of cheap synthetic boots. I hate trying to find vegan footware because I'm hard to fit, and I've never successfully ordered online.

GhostUser 04-19-2005 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rani View Post

Those are the one's that I had my eye on too. A bit on the pricey side but sounds like it's worth it. I think I just might have to make a trip to REI this weekend and pick me up a pair of those boots. Thanks so much Rowan!!

Let me know how you like them if you end up getting them!

MollyGoat 04-19-2005 03:40 PM

I really like the Garmonts too. Their one drawback (and it is a big one) is that they are not waterproof. I hear they are coming out with a Gore-Tex version, though.

GhostUser 04-19-2005 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

I really like the Garmonts too. Their one drawback (and it is a big one) is that they are not waterproof. I hear they are coming out with a Gore-Tex version, though.

Zappos.com just recently got the gore-tex version, although it's quite a bit more for that pair. Hubby & I get the waterproofer from Vegan Essentials, which works quite good.

epski 04-19-2005 05:13 PM

Aren't there some good Nagev boots? Anyone?

pseudo_vegan 04-24-2005 07:46 PM

MONTRAILS REPRESENT!!!!

I saw them first on Vegan Essentials, and happened to get the *only* pair for $40, used ONCE, on EBay...

Wonderful EBay, BETTER boots...which I would have dropped the $100 on willingly, had the used (and still in kick-a*s condition) ones not been my size...

The Montrails I have are Gortex, vegan, and AWESOME.

Cheers!

GhostUser 04-28-2005 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

Aren't there some good Nagev boots? Anyone?

Are you talking about the Garmont Nagevi? They still have them, but now they have leather on them.

Rani 05-17-2005 08:34 AM

Well, I finally purchased the Garmont Vegan hiking boots and I love them! They are amazingly comfy and appear to be made from quality materials. No breaking in required which is just awesome! I didn't get the gortex version since they were quite a bit more in price and I figured I could get by with waterproofing the regular ones.

Thanks for all the recommendations!

GhostUser 05-17-2005 02:57 PM

Glad to hear you like them! Definitely do the waterproofer from VeganEssentials. It works great.

MollyGoat 05-17-2005 04:27 PM

I've waterproofed mine, which works OK for a little rain, but if you're stomping through puddles, it doesn't do nearly as much as Gore-Tex would, I find. For my next big trip, I'll be buying the Gore-Tex version.

Maybe it's just a function of living in the Pacific Northwest

I know they say that you don't need to break them in, but mine did require some. Definitely not as much as leather boots, but I got a few blisters on my first hike with the Garmonts.

epski 05-17-2005 05:48 PM

That's weird that nagevi (I vegan backward) added leather. Congrats on the new boots.

greenheart 04-05-2007 10:56 AM

Apologies for bumping an old thread but...

Does Garmont still make a Gore-Tex vegan boot? If so, I'm having trouble finding it. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Irizary 04-05-2007 02:31 PM

See http://www.zappos.com What's great about them is that they have free shipping both ways (in case the shoes don't work out).

I don't know about the gore-tex shoe, but in case anyone is interested, in the vegetarian athletic section they have a number of shoes suitable for hiking. I found the Garmont too wide, but Montrail has a vegan hiking boot that's better for narrower feet.