Makeup - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-13-2005, 11:38 PM

I'm looking for a good cruelty-free, no animal byproduct makeup line.

I'm currently trying Zuzu Luxe, but am not sure really how I like it.

Got any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-13-2005, 11:44 PM

I started using Zuzu Luxe about 3 weeks ago.. so far, I like it. I think i will continue using this product for now until something better comes out.

I currently use the dual powder foundation.

Im also concerned that it might be the cause of minor breakout.
#3 Old 03-13-2005, 11:49 PM

Well, I ordered the Zuzu Luxe and I tried it and found the colors weren't an exact match for what I was wanting (the colors on the screen don't always match). And they won't let you return it if it's been used, so I guess I'm stuck with it until I run out and need more. Blah.

I just found a neat website: http://www.theorganicmakeupcompany.com Looks pretty interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-13-2005, 11:51 PM
Veggie Regular

There's also that company ELF http://www.eyeslipsface.com/ but I haven't ever tried their stuff. The thing is that they're really cheap.. although I usually read it's the lip glosses people like.
#5 Old 03-14-2005, 12:54 AM

http://www.herbsofgrace.com is lots of cosmetics that just contain minerals, its pretty sweet and cheaper than other mineral cosmetic lines
#6 Old 03-14-2005, 07:42 AM
Beginner

Arbonne! www.arbonne.com

All of Arbonne's products are botanically based, pH correct, hypoallergenic, dermatologist tested on a voluntary human panel, contain NO animal products or by-products, NO mineral oil (a form of crude oil), and NO chemical dyes or fragrances.

If the price is of concern to you, I can sign you up as a wholesale buyer. That would be a 35% discount!
#7 Old 03-14-2005, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I use Aromaleigh makeup, and I love it! It looks & feels really natural, doesn't irritate my skin or make me break out, and there is absolutely NO scent to it. I can't stand smelling makeup all day.
#8 Old 03-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I've only used one ZuzuLuxe product, an eyeliner - It didn't last very long

Most of the makeup I buy isn't from all vegan lines, but from drugstore lines that don't test, EG, Revlon, Jane. Except for my foundation, on which I spend way too much and get Clinique, because it comes in a shade pale enough for my skin and doesn't irritate my skin.

But if you want to go for an all vegan line, I've heard really good things about Arbonne, and we have quite a few consultants here (rincaro, salllyk, Melissa M). I can't speak from personal experience though.
#9 Old 03-14-2005, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa M View Post

Arbonne! www.arbonne.com

All of Arbonne's products are botanically based, pH correct, hypoallergenic, dermatologist tested on a voluntary human panel, contain NO animal products or by-products, NO mineral oil (a form of crude oil), and NO chemical dyes or fragrances.

If the price is of concern to you, I can sign you up as a wholesale buyer. That would be a 35% discount!

Any way I can save money these days, I'll go for it. Thank you so much.

I was actually looking at that site last night and really liked a lot of their stuff.

~Jenna
#10 Old 03-14-2005, 03:59 PM

Ooooh make-up, now this is my kinda thread!! Here are the two I use:

www.hardcandy.com

www.urbandecay.com

They claim that thier products are not tested on animals , but I'm not sure about the ingredients. But the cool thing about their web-site is that they have a list of all the ingredients in teir products. Check it out.
#11 Old 03-14-2005, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spehlbaund View Post

There's also that company ELF http://www.eyeslipsface.com/ but I haven't ever tried their stuff. The thing is that they're really cheap.. although I usually read it's the lip glosses people like.

WoW.. its very cheap.. a pressed powder for $1!!! Wont cause breakout either. It might be worth to try.
#12 Old 03-14-2005, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudVegan View Post

WoW.. its very cheap.. a pressed powder for $1!!! Wont cause breakout either. It might be worth to try.

I know! I put nine items on my list to see how much it would be....... $9.00 for all of it. It makes me wonder why it's so cheap, though :/ And they don't give returns, either.

Hmm. I'm still really interested in it, though.

I couldn't find where it said how big these things are, either.
#13 Old 03-15-2005, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie View Post

I use Aromaleigh makeup, and I love it! It looks & feels really natural, doesn't irritate my skin or make me break out, and there is absolutely NO scent to it. I can't stand smelling makeup all day.

I ordered the samples so I cant wait to try them. I really hated the Bare I.D... it irritated my skin really bad.

I hope that Aromaleigh will do my face good.
#14 Old 03-16-2005, 02:17 AM

Quote:

I ordered the samples so I cant wait to try them. I really hated the Bare I.D... it irritated my skin really bad.

What made you decide to try Aromaleigh?
#15 Old 03-16-2005, 04:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I hope so for you, too! I have really sensitive skin, and I break out like crazy from lots of other makeup. But I haven't had a bit of trouble since I started using Aromaleigh.
#16 Old 03-16-2005, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna rose View Post

What made you decide to try Aromaleigh?

I know that minerals are good for your skin because I tried Bare I.D. that wasnt good for me, i decided to try this samples. Doesnt hurt to try. Since I started using Zuzu Luxe, i noticed I was getting minor breakout each time I wore this powder. Im not much of a makeup person, but I wear it when I need to. Did you order products from E.L.F.???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie View Post

I hope so for you, too! I have really sensitive skin, and I break out like crazy from lots of other makeup. But I haven't had a bit of trouble since I started using Aromaleigh.

Thanks for sharing!!!

What kind of brush do you use? Would a simple cotton pad do?
#17 Old 03-20-2005, 02:28 AM

Yep. ordered the ones from E.L.F early Saturday. I'm hoping they arrive this coming week.
#18 Old 03-21-2005, 12:37 AM

let me know how it works for you. I received my mineral makeup.. going to try it tomorrow! So hopefully i picked the right color for my skin.
#19 Old 03-21-2005, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi, ProudVegan. I just noticed your question about brushes. I have some brushes left from a makeup kit I used when I did hair & makeup for a living years ago. They're animal hair, but I don't see the point in throwing them out now. But I also have some newer nylon or Taklon brushes.

The synthetic brushes are tricky to buy. They tend to be coarser and rougher feeling, so you want to be sure you get the very best quality you can find. If I can figure out where I got mine, I'll let you know.

I have used makeup sponges to apply Aromaleigh foundation, but I didn't like the results as well as when I use a brush. Maybe with some practice, it might work better.
#20 Old 03-24-2005, 02:05 PM

Ok, ladies. I'm writing to you with much, much enthusiasm.

I put in the order for the E.L.F. makeup on Saturday night and it showed up here earlier today (Wednesday). What I got:

2 different color lip gloss

1 lipstick

2 different color pressed powders (just in case one was wrong color)

2 different color concealers (just in case one was wrong color)

3 nail polish colors

1 nail file kit

1 nail buffer

1 eyeliner pencil (comes with sharpener)

1 shimmering facial whip

1 nail polish remover pads (24 pads)

1 lip balm

1 mascara (two sided - waterproof, regular)

3 eyeshadow kits (4 colors in each)

1 hypershine gloss (for wearing by itself or over lipstick)

-------

Total: $28.00 ($7 for shipping)

My nails are all painted different colors. lol I was testing out the colors by themselves and mixing matching. I have already tried the makeup and let me tell you....I am in LOVE. The nail polish bottles are a tad small. But really, once you wear the polish, you have it on for a while and how often do you really wear polish? I think they are all just the right size. I'll have to see how long the pressed powder lasts - it covers well but it is a tad smaller than other pressed powder kits I've used. But hello! It's only a BUCK. And I don't have to use much of any of the stuff for it to cover well. It all glides on smoothly and I don't feel like my pores are being clogged.

I'm just so excited. It's cheap, it's good, no animal testing and natural ingredients (as stated on the website and on the back of the packaging). Plus, the company donates money to charities.

I do believe I'm hooked.

ETA: All the makeup is hypoallergenic and the pressed powder helps treat and prevent breakouts.
#21 Old 03-24-2005, 06:24 PM

yay!!! Im glad you like it.. I will buy some of their stuff soon. Also, my only concern is the pressed powder. I dont want irritation or breakouts. This sounds good.. keep me posted as the days go by.

Im still testing out Aromeleigh powder. I used it once, but i think the color is too light on me. I will be using it again tomorrow. so we'll see how it looks and works on my skin.
#22 Old 03-27-2005, 11:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna rose View Post

It's cheap, it's good, no animal testing and natural ingredients (as stated on the website and on the back of the packaging). Plus, the company donates money to charities.

Where are you finding the vegan/natuural/charity info on the website?

Thanks!

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#23 Old 03-31-2005, 12:50 AM

in "philosophy" category
#24 Old 03-31-2005, 07:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I was excited to check out the ELF products, but the website only mentions that they are not tested on animals and have "natural" ingredients. Since natural does not mean vegan, does anyone know if they use animal ingredients? Carmine, lanolin, and beeswax may be natural, but certainly not vegan. I hate it when product ingredients are not listed on the website!
#25 Old 03-31-2005, 06:26 PM

I ordered and received some stuff from ELF and was happy with what I got (can't beat the price for sure!), but I read on another forum that some of their products contain beeswax..so bee-ware..LoL
#26 Old 04-04-2005, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlrabi222 View Post

I ordered and received some stuff from ELF and was happy with what I got (can't beat the price for sure!), but I read on another forum that some of their products contain beeswax..so bee-ware..LoL

most likely in their lip gloss. you can also email them and ask.
#27 Old 04-04-2005, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Where does it list the ingredients on the E.L.F. site? I've scoured it, but there is no indication that any of their products are necessarily vegan. I'm always concerned about the beeswax in lipstick; it seems to be the last hold-out ingredient in otherwise animal-free make up.
#28 Old 04-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Personally, I use Bare Escentuals makeup and love it. But I don't use much makeup anyway, so I'm not much of an expert.
#29 Old 04-05-2005, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizeen View Post

Where does it list the ingredients on the E.L.F. site? I've scoured it, but there is no indication that any of their products are necessarily vegan. I'm always concerned about the beeswax in lipstick; it seems to be the last hold-out ingredient in otherwise animal-free make up.

Some of the E.L.F. stuff does have beeswax. But personally, right now...with how cheap and how well their products work AND the fact that it's mainly all-natural and not tested on animals....I'm just going to stick with it for the time being. I've done a lot lately with switching to certain products (makeup, shampoo, fash wash, body wash, homemade cleaners, etc etc) and I've cut out all food with animal ingredients, though there are some that it's hard not to have it in it). I just don't want to beat myself up for a couple of products that I have that have beeswax in it when I've done all these other things to help. You know what I mean? (it's 5:30am, i haven't slept, so my answer is long-winded. sorry)

I can't save EVERYTHING, but I do the best that I can.
#30 Old 04-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

No sweat jenna rose, I'm not harshing anyone. I was only asking because I've been doing this vegan thing for many many years and I'm at the point where I consider such things as beeswax, but I certainly don't mean to imply that everyone else need concern themselves with such things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page