VeggieBoards banner

Got sick from Vega protein

7K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  FredVegrox 
#1 ·
Last night was the second time I threw up and felt sick for a whole day after eating Vega one all in 1 protein French vanilla, the first time I ate some other things I thought were he cause, this time I had nothing but the powder in water for a meal and the same thing thing happened It sapped all my energy I threw up everything for a couple hours major stomach ache and couldn’t even keep water down till the next day, I’ve had progressive veg essentials and a few other vegan all in 1 proteins and felt normal, it seems to be the Vega one although I don’t know what’s in it that does it

Has anyone else had reactions this this product?

#2 ·
No, but that happens if I eat avocado.
Sounds like you should avoid it!
It has pea protein, mushrooms....go through the ingredient list and see if you spot anything.
All food can cause a bad reaction to some people

#4 ·
You might be allergic or sensitive to one or more of the ingredients. I have eaten gluten foods my whole life and about 2 1/2 years ago I started waking up in the early morning hours (like midnight or 1 am) and felt like I needed to throw up, but nothing was in my stomach for hours. I went through the motions of throwing up, but only saliva and a bit of stomach acid came up and I felt better after that. This went on for the next week or so. Then one day I was watching my grandson at my daughter's house. Not much to eat in the house, so I had some toast for breakfast, a peanut butter sandwich for lunch and burrito for dinner. The next day I watched him again and had toast, cream of wheat and a PB&J. That night I threw up a lot! I made the connection that I was allergic or sensitive to gluten and gave it up and haven't had an issue of throwing up or feeling nauseous since. So many people have gluten sensitives these days.
Other people are allergic to soy, and now pea protein is the thing turning up in all kinds of vegan products. Since these things tend to be concentrated foods, I think we overdo the food and it's not something to eat at all or very often.
If you have ever eaten Beyond Burgers, it too is pea protein. Did you have a problem eating it? Sometimes things build up in your system before you feel bad, as was the case with me and the gluten foods. You must be a detective and write down things you eat and keep track so you can figure it out, because most doctors never even ask what you eat. It could be something in the Vega protein and if you were to eat a food that contained one of those ingredients, you may or may not get sick. Such as eat peas in their nature state might be fine, but eating the concentrated protein could be your body cannot handle the excess amounts. And why do you need the excess protein in a powdered drink anyhow? Eat a healthy veg diet and your protein needs are more than met. People are too obsessed with protein.

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
I know this thread was posted awhile ago, but I had this happen to me 3 times before I realized it was the vega all in one vanilla making me vomit. I never had issues with vega one products before until now. I not only threw up a bunch, but had stomach cramping and the sh**s all day.

#6 ·
Last night was the second time I threw up and felt sick for a whole day after eating Vega one all in 1 protein French vanilla...
Yes! It happened to me yesterday! It is now Nov 2022 so I'm not sure if anybody will see this, but I vomited 5 times and had very watery diarrhea. I felt so sick and my stomach was cramping. That is all that I had had so I know that that was it. It is expired and has been open for a couple of years.

#8 ·
Abrupt increase in protein consumption puts lot of pressure on the liver and kidneys. So you can have digestive distress.
You have to increase the amount slowly over a period of time for the digestive system to adjust.
Myfitfuel pea protein is something I used which worked. Peas have all essential amino acids. Try to mix it in your food and take it. Try to take it in small amounts. Eat many small meals instead of few big meals. Drink plenty of water.

#9 ·
Last night was the second time I threw up and felt sick for a whole day after eating Vega one all in 1 protein French vanilla...
Yes! I haven’t touched that protein in years. The first time it happened I thought it was something else I ate so I didn’t suspect it. The second the time it was the only thing I had eaten in the morning and my last time I tried it was just to make sure. Everytime I threw up and had to give the powder away. I’ve taken protein powders before and never had that reaction. Now I only use premier protein. It’s the only one I feel safe drinking.

#11 ·
I have Vega protein powder, I don't know if I would get a bad reaction from using it. I just do not use it much. At certain times of the year I would be more likely to make oatmeal, or hot chocolate, that I would add a spoon or so of the protein powder to. There isn't much more I would want to add any to. I mean I have tried it with other things, like nondairy ice cream, but I was not continuing to do so. I became more comfortable that my body was not needing so much more protein with just not having any from animals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.