• 2 Post By Jamie in Chile
  • 1 Post By Purp
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Mr. H.

#1 Old 01-19-2019, 10:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool Instant Pot

Are they worth the money? Do they work well? Our crock pot is cracked, and my mother's b-day is coming up, and I want to get her one, but not sure it's worth it. Thank you.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-20-2019, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I was half wondering when I saw the title if this thread was about a way to produce marijuana very quickly.
#3 Old 01-21-2019, 12:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post
I was half wondering when I saw the title if this thread was about a way to produce marijuana very quickly.
I actually live in a state where marijuana is legal, although I believe it's forbidden on these boards, since it's not legal everywhere, yet. This is what I'm talking about.
Mr. H. likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-23-2019, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

I love my Instant Pot! I got it two years ago black friday- the Duo 6 with the yogurt function
This week I've made chickpeas, a white bean and soy curls stew, mujadara, and kale
It's not that everythings 'instant', it's that nothing needs baby sitting-no watching, no stirring. once you get in the groove of timing and prep it's very predictable, but you'll be able to adjust to your liking
Beans, whole grains, potatoes, greens, root veggies, so great! Oh, seitan!!!
I haven't had enough success with soy yogurt, but that feature is worth it for proofing bread dough

It's cool too, no heating your kitchen. Energy efficient. I clean it by just adding a couple cups water and some vinegar and letting it come to pressure, everything is steamed off and just needs a soapy wipe.
I was quite surprised how much I use it
Purp and Mr. H. like this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 01-23-2019, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

I see we have another Pot head!

https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/4...taco-rice.html
Purp likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#6 Old 01-28-2019, 09:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I love my Instant Pot! I got it two years ago black friday- the Duo 6 with the yogurt function
This week I've made chickpeas, a white bean and soy curls stew, mujadara, and kale
It's not that everythings 'instant', it's that nothing needs baby sitting-no watching, no stirring. once you get in the groove of timing and prep it's very predictable, but you'll be able to adjust to your liking
Beans, whole grains, potatoes, greens, root veggies, so great! Oh, seitan!!!
I haven't had enough success with soy yogurt, but that feature is worth it for proofing bread dough

It's cool too, no heating your kitchen. Energy efficient. I clean it by just adding a couple cups water and some vinegar and letting it come to pressure, everything is steamed off and just needs a soapy wipe.
I was quite surprised how much I use it
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Thanks.

#7 Old 01-30-2019, 10:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I got mine in late November. Like a Black Friday sale. Got a really good deal. I got the 6-quart duo. I spoke to a bunch of people and everyone warned me not to get the 3-quart. I'm a single guy and in hindsight, I think that one would have been big enough. the main reason I considered getting the smaller one is that I thought I could fit it in a cabinet. the 6-quart does not fit in my cabinet so it has to live on the counter. But if you have a family of 4 you really should get the larger one. I think it's 8 quarts.

Maybe someday I'll make yogurt in it. But that wasn't even a criterion. I bought a new crockpot a few years ago and I did get one that was too small. And my old rice cooker's nonstick coating was looking a little rough. so the Instant Pot replaced both of those appliances. Besides helping to justify the cost - replacing those two appliances also gave me some extra room for it.

For me, the main purpose of the thing is to make beans. Homemade beans are so much cheaper and healthier than canned beans. And making them in the instant pot is super easy and handsfree. It is so great not to have to keep going into the kitchen and stir the beans all day long. Or if you use a crockpot plan it all out the day before.

In the instant pot, you don't even have to soak the beans ahead of time. But I think its better (health and taste-wise) if you do.

Black Beans are supposed to take 25 minutes. But that is just the time it is pressure cooked. It takes a while for it to build up the pressure and it takes a while for it to "naturally vent". I timed the whole thing once and I think the beans took about an hour. So far i have let everything naturally vent. You can if you want you can cut some time off by using the quick release vent.

The nice thing is that you don't have to be around at all. Start it and forget it. It has a keep warm function that you can turn off, too.

It's not exactly as idiot proof as advertised. You might want to add a couple of minutes or subtract a couple of minutes to make it meet your preferences. You may even want to change the pressure settings to get things exactly to your taste. But so far I have just been following recipes exactly - and no complaints.

If you have ever made steel cut oats on the stove top you know what a pain it is. In the instant pot, just pour it in and turn it on. Although the cooking time is only 5 minutes there is still the time needed for it to get to pressure and to vent. but no standing over a hot stove stirring.

I was worried that rice would be harder than in my rice cooker which is pretty automatic. but so far I am totally satisfied with the rice I have made. I was really worried when I tried a mixture of rices that I had gotten at the store - but it came out great using the standard generic time for just wild rice.

I've also made split pea soup and lentil soup. Pretty fast and easy. I have an immersion blender. So when you make soup you don't have to even cut up the veggies.
Tom likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page