Good Hair Care Products - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-18-2015, 11:58 AM

Good Hair Care Products

I'm looking for a new hair shampoo and conditioner as the one I am using currently tests on animals. The new brand would have to have a shampoo and conditioner that was both vegan as well as not tested on animals (neither the individual ingredients or the final product). I know this question has been asked before on the internet as I have seen a long list of animal-friendly hair care companies. The problem is, all of them that I have seen are not big names (at least not to my knowledge) so I have no idea how good they really are. It is important to me that I have good looking, feeling, and healthy hair and I am having trouble wading through all the options. I am willing to pay more than what you would for a low end shampoo and conditioner, so do any of you have suggestions for pretty high quality hair care brands? I'm not rich so I don't spend hundreds of dollars on my hair, but currently I am using brands like Nexxus and Sebastian which are a big higher end and not the cheapest, so products that cost that much or a little more- if they are worth it- are all fair game. Thanks for any suggestions in advance, and I hope you are well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-18-2015, 12:03 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I use wen for shampoo and conditioner.
#3 Old 08-18-2015, 02:05 PM
Beginner

Aveda has some great products. I havent used their hair care line but I do use skin so im assuming it is the same quality. Trader Joe's also has greta products on the cheap. I do a few product reviews in my blog. Hopefully I can help.

https://venusvegan.wordpress.com/201...ungry-as-hell/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-18-2015, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Shea Moisture is great
#5 Old 08-18-2015, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

The only commercial shampoo I have used in the years I have been vegan is Dr. Bronner's liquid castile. I find that a little goes a very long way with it. and it can be used as an all purpose cleaning agent for dishes, wiping sinks, etc. I have seen it in a few larger grocery chains and in most whole foods coops and health food stores. Sometimes camping stores carry it because it does not have ingredients harmful to the environment. I have seen it at Gander Mountain, REI, and a few other outdoor camping stores. I have very thick short hair that is low maintenance so I am not all that particular. It may or may not work for you.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 10-12-2015, 07:55 PM

I use Jason shampoo and have really liked it. It costs between $7-8 a bottle and can be found at Whole Foods or online. I haven't seen it in a regular grocery store or CVS.

Whole Foods is a good bet to find options since none of their personal care products are tested on animals.
#7 Old 11-17-2015, 02:38 PM
Reeses On Recess

I use do. active products, check out their website for closest place near you since they only sell at salons. I can't use a lot of products in my hair because it gets too greasy. Love this stuff.
http://www.doactiveproducts.com/locations.php

Follow my blog at ReesesOnRecess.Life
#8 Old 11-17-2015, 02:43 PM
No flesh since 99'

I wash my hair with Guiness and have for pretty much my whole life (my mom does too). The alcohol strips the dirt and oil and the hops moisturizes. It's the only thing I use for my hair, and my hair is always shiny and soft.
#9 Old 12-26-2015, 03:22 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Jackson Powell
Have you looked at the products on the Environmental Working Group's skin deep website? http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/browse/shampoo/

I'm not sure if they cover animal cruelty so you might need to cross-reference another tool to be sure.
#10 Old 01-12-2016, 01:03 PM
Banned

I only use shampoo, as I discovered my hair doesn't need conditioner. For a year or so I used baking soda, but it's not really easy nor fun to use. I recently discovered Oneka which is totally vegan, not tested on animals, pH equilibrated, etc. They grow their plants themselves. Really a good product if you can get it!
#11 Old 01-12-2016, 03:11 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
I wash my hair with Guiness and have for pretty much my whole life (my mom does too). The alcohol strips the dirt and oil and the hops moisturizes. It's the only thing I use for my hair, and my hair is always shiny and soft.
Guinness will be vegan soon (wasn't previously) so would be fine to use as a shampoo once the new processing is in place.

http://time.com/4098272/guinness-is-going-vegan/

Criminal waste of good alcohol though

I also use Jason products - expensive in the UK but I really like them.

Last edited by QuietVegan; 01-12-2016 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Amended "now vegan" to "will be vegan soon"
#12 Old 01-12-2016, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsloy View Post
I only use shampoo, as I discovered my hair doesn't need conditioner. For a year or so I used baking soda, but it's not really easy nor fun to use. I recently discovered Oneka which is totally vegan, not tested on animals, pH equilibrated, etc. They grow their plants themselves. Really a good product if you can get it!
How were you doing baking soda that it wasn't easy?
I used it for two years and it was the easiest thing ever
I'd mix (proportionally) 1 tablespoon soda to 1 cup water in a squirt bottle. In the shower, every couple days, I'd squirt it on my scalp, rinse. I put the same proportions of vineger in a spray bottle and spray my hair, then just lightly rinse. My hair was at it's best, until menopause caused it it change and I couldn't get it right again.

I'm about to go back to doing it again now that I've evened out

Beer just sounds so expensive! I don't drink for that very reason
#13 Old 01-12-2016, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
How were you doing baking soda that it wasn't easy?
I used it for two years and it was the easiest thing ever
I'd mix (proportionally) 1 tablespoon soda to 1 cup water in a squirt bottle. In the shower, every couple days, I'd squirt it on my scalp, rinse. I put the same proportions of vineger in a spray bottle and spray my hair, then just lightly rinse. My hair was at it's best, until menopause caused it it change and I couldn't get it right again.

I'm about to go back to doing it again now that I've evened out

Beer just sounds so expensive! I don't drink for that very reason
I wasn't on the aqueduc at the time and the pump of my well wasn't giving me enough pressure to wash all the powder away. Also, I was using more than you do, as I was using it like body soap and face exfoliant too. It was a love-hate relationship..

Also I like better a "gel" texture for that kind of product.

But I do not condemn this alternative at all! It can give good results if you find the right setup
#14 Old 01-22-2016, 07:54 PM

I currently am using a lot of Giovanni products (shampoo, conditioner, leave in conditioner/heat protectant, shine spray, hair spray), I guess I quite a fan. I'm in the middle of dying my hair a light silver so I have to use a purple shampoo sometimes, I got Lush's Daddio and its very hydrating. Lush is more expensive so I don't use it all the time, every few washes... and a tiny amount. Coconut oil as a leave in conditioner and hair mask works great and is very economical!
#15 Old 03-09-2016, 01:05 AM
Fellow Hummusapian

I've been using Shea Moisture's Zanzibar Marine Complex shampoo and I love it. It smells great, lathers well, and my hair has a nice sheen to it once dry. Their whole line of hair & skin care is actually pretty awesome. I always browse the clearance section at Target and that saves me a bit of cash.

For conditioner, I'm using Mystic Divine's nourishing hair masque, and I like that too. You can find it at Sally Beauty Supply, and it says online that it is 100% vegan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page