VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Product Reviews (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/23-product-reviews/)
-   -   Good Hair Care Products (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/23-product-reviews/187689-good-hair-care-products.html)

carolt 08-18-2015 11:58 AM

Good Hair Care Products

I'm looking for a new hair shampoo and conditioner as the one I am using currently tests on animals. The new brand would have to have a shampoo and conditioner that was both vegan as well as not tested on animals (neither the individual ingredients or the final product). I know this question has been asked before on the internet as I have seen a long list of animal-friendly hair care companies. The problem is, all of them that I have seen are not big names (at least not to my knowledge) so I have no idea how good they really are. It is important to me that I have good looking, feeling, and healthy hair and I am having trouble wading through all the options. I am willing to pay more than what you would for a low end shampoo and conditioner, so do any of you have suggestions for pretty high quality hair care brands? I'm not rich so I don't spend hundreds of dollars on my hair, but currently I am using brands like Nexxus and Sebastian which are a big higher end and not the cheapest, so products that cost that much or a little more- if they are worth it- are all fair game. Thanks for any suggestions in advance, and I hope you are well!

LedBoots 08-18-2015 12:03 PM

I use wen for shampoo and conditioner.

ToriannB 08-18-2015 02:05 PM

Aveda has some great products. I havent used their hair care line but I do use skin so im assuming it is the same quality. Trader Joe's also has greta products on the cheap. I do a few product reviews in my blog. Hopefully I can help.

https://venusvegan.wordpress.com/201...ungry-as-hell/

silva 08-18-2015 03:00 PM

Shea Moisture is great

Naturebound 08-18-2015 06:23 PM

The only commercial shampoo I have used in the years I have been vegan is Dr. Bronner's liquid castile. I find that a little goes a very long way with it. and it can be used as an all purpose cleaning agent for dishes, wiping sinks, etc. I have seen it in a few larger grocery chains and in most whole foods coops and health food stores. Sometimes camping stores carry it because it does not have ingredients harmful to the environment. I have seen it at Gander Mountain, REI, and a few other outdoor camping stores. I have very thick short hair that is low maintenance so I am not all that particular. It may or may not work for you.

veganfitnessjunkie 10-12-2015 07:55 PM

I use Jason shampoo and have really liked it. It costs between $7-8 a bottle and can be found at Whole Foods or online. I haven't seen it in a regular grocery store or CVS.

Whole Foods is a good bet to find options since none of their personal care products are tested on animals.

reesesonrecess 11-17-2015 02:38 PM

I use do. active products, check out their website for closest place near you since they only sell at salons. I can't use a lot of products in my hair because it gets too greasy. Love this stuff.
http://www.doactiveproducts.com/locations.php

Kiwibird08 11-17-2015 02:43 PM

I wash my hair with Guiness and have for pretty much my whole life (my mom does too). The alcohol strips the dirt and oil and the hops moisturizes. It's the only thing I use for my hair, and my hair is always shiny and soft.

Jackson Powell 12-26-2015 03:22 PM

Have you looked at the products on the Environmental Working Group's skin deep website? http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/browse/shampoo/

I'm not sure if they cover animal cruelty so you might need to cross-reference another tool to be sure.

marsloy 01-12-2016 01:03 PM

I only use shampoo, as I discovered my hair doesn't need conditioner. For a year or so I used baking soda, but it's not really easy nor fun to use. I recently discovered Oneka which is totally vegan, not tested on animals, pH equilibrated, etc. They grow their plants themselves. Really a good product if you can get it!

QuietVegan 01-12-2016 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 (Post 3829353)
I wash my hair with Guiness and have for pretty much my whole life (my mom does too). The alcohol strips the dirt and oil and the hops moisturizes. It's the only thing I use for my hair, and my hair is always shiny and soft.

Guinness will be vegan soon (wasn't previously) so would be fine to use as a shampoo once the new processing is in place.

http://time.com/4098272/guinness-is-going-vegan/

Criminal waste of good alcohol though :whip:

I also use Jason products - expensive in the UK but I really like them.

silva 01-12-2016 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsloy (Post 3874617)
I only use shampoo, as I discovered my hair doesn't need conditioner. For a year or so I used baking soda, but it's not really easy nor fun to use. I recently discovered Oneka which is totally vegan, not tested on animals, pH equilibrated, etc. They grow their plants themselves. Really a good product if you can get it!

How were you doing baking soda that it wasn't easy?
I used it for two years and it was the easiest thing ever
I'd mix (proportionally) 1 tablespoon soda to 1 cup water in a squirt bottle. In the shower, every couple days, I'd squirt it on my scalp, rinse. I put the same proportions of vineger in a spray bottle and spray my hair, then just lightly rinse. My hair was at it's best, until menopause caused it it change and I couldn't get it right again.

I'm about to go back to doing it again now that I've evened out

Beer just sounds so expensive! I don't drink for that very reason

marsloy 01-12-2016 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silva (Post 3874857)
How were you doing baking soda that it wasn't easy?
I used it for two years and it was the easiest thing ever
I'd mix (proportionally) 1 tablespoon soda to 1 cup water in a squirt bottle. In the shower, every couple days, I'd squirt it on my scalp, rinse. I put the same proportions of vineger in a spray bottle and spray my hair, then just lightly rinse. My hair was at it's best, until menopause caused it it change and I couldn't get it right again.

I'm about to go back to doing it again now that I've evened out

Beer just sounds so expensive! I don't drink for that very reason

I wasn't on the aqueduc at the time and the pump of my well wasn't giving me enough pressure to wash all the powder away. Also, I was using more than you do, as I was using it like body soap and face exfoliant too. It was a love-hate relationship..

Also I like better a "gel" texture for that kind of product.

But I do not condemn this alternative at all! It can give good results if you find the right setup :)

Living The Planted Life 01-22-2016 07:54 PM

I currently am using a lot of Giovanni products (shampoo, conditioner, leave in conditioner/heat protectant, shine spray, hair spray), I guess I quite a fan. I'm in the middle of dying my hair a light silver so I have to use a purple shampoo sometimes, I got Lush's Daddio and its very hydrating. Lush is more expensive so I don't use it all the time, every few washes... and a tiny amount. Coconut oil as a leave in conditioner and hair mask works great and is very economical!

skinnieminnie 03-09-2016 01:05 AM

I've been using Shea Moisture's Zanzibar Marine Complex shampoo and I love it. It smells great, lathers well, and my hair has a nice sheen to it once dry. Their whole line of hair & skin care is actually pretty awesome. I always browse the clearance section at Target and that saves me a bit of cash.

For conditioner, I'm using Mystic Divine's nourishing hair masque, and I like that too. You can find it at Sally Beauty Supply, and it says online that it is 100% vegan.