• 5 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By no whey jose
  • 3 Post By karenlovessnow
  • 1 Post By LeThieu92
  • 1 Post By dormouse

#1 Old 12-30-2014, 12:25 PM

Vegan Mac n Cheese?

Hey everyone!

Today I tried Earth Balance vegan mac n cheese and absolutely hated it! I have yet to try their other products but I'm remaining optimistic! I've heard good things about their other products.

Anyone else have any experience with this version of mac n cheese? What'd you think? Any different version you like better?

Excited to hear back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-30-2014, 01:34 PM
Impeach the gangster

I haven't tried EB, which appears to be a mix-it-yourself dish. I get Amy's vegan mac n cheese, made with Daiya, out of the frozen case. I think it's pretty good.

The only Earth Balance product I use is the buttery spread, which I find perfectly fine. Melts well onto toast and is good for baking too.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#3 Old 12-31-2014, 09:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't dislike the EB, but I have been making it without adding any milk product just either olive oil or coconut oil.

#4 Old 12-31-2014, 11:21 AM

The best vegan mac & cheese I've found is this recipe:

Enjoy
#5 Old 12-31-2014, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't tried the EB mac and cheese yet because I'm still waiting for it to come to Canada but this recipe is pretty epic: http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=40&catId=10

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#6 Old 12-31-2014, 11:18 PM

I used to get Amy's, but now I just add something like Tesco's vegan strong cheese* to some pasta....maybe I should make some white sauce, but I'm not that bothered.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/produ.../?id=277074194
(UK)

That's pretty cheesy to me.

Last edited by Blobbenstein; 12-31-2014 at 11:21 PM.
#7 Old 01-01-2015, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

This is my favorite recipe: http://www.theppk.com/2013/06/chipot...ussel-sprouts/

I've tried others, but haven't liked a single one before.

#8 Old 01-01-2015, 02:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never tried any commercial versions of vegan mac and cheese. Here is how I make mine:

Peal, chop, and steam a large sweet potato. Add it to a blender (I have a high speed blender) with a small block of silken tofu, 1/4 to 1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes, some plant milk (I guess at how much based on the volume of other stuff), and spices like nutmeg, cumin, salt/pepper, onion powder etc. Blend until creamy. Add to a pot on the stove and heat for a few minutes.

While all that is being made, I boil my macaroni (I use whole wheat macaroni), then add the sauce over the macaroni while everything is hot and mix well. It makes a very thick rich mac and cheese with a slight sweetness to it. You can also use regular potato in place of sweet potato for a more savory "cheesy" taste. You can leave out the tofu also if you don't like that, and add more potato instead. And you can vary the spices.

Sometimes I add a little bit of vegan parmesan to it (ground up almonds or sunflower seeds with nutritional yeast in blender) for extra texture.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 01-01-2015, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator

Someday I want to invest in a Vitamix, then my Mac and cheese will be perfect!

Picture I took of the recipe above:

Werewolf Girl and Naturebound like this.
#10 Old 01-01-2015, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Oh great, now I want to make mac and cheese but all the stores are closed.
danakscully64 likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#11 Old 01-06-2015, 05:08 PM

This is awesome! Thanks everyone! I'm definitely going to have to try everyone's recipes!
#12 Old 07-19-2015, 04:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I finally decided to order the Earth Balance boxed mac and cheese mix and try it. I thought it might be something to use for our upcoming canoe camping trip since it is lightweight and easy to pack and cook on a one pot tiny portable camping stove. I am usually not into processed stuff like this but I was feeling adventurous.

Now, I have not had boxed macaroni and cheese in probably fifteen years, but my husband is an omnivore and LOVES Kraft Macaroni and cheese mix. So I tested this vegan version on him. I found it to be kind of bland but not bad. My husband LOVED it!!! I am thinking if we use if for camping, I will throw in some peas and double the servings to make a meal out of it. I would use it again in a pinch and will use if for canoe camping but otherwise it's probably not going to be a regular menu item for me. I had to order it online as no store sells it around here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#13 Old 07-19-2015, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Well, I finally decided to order the Earth Balance boxed mac and cheese mix and try it. I thought it might be something to use for our upcoming canoe camping trip since it is lightweight and easy to pack and cook on a one pot tiny portable camping stove. I am usually not into processed stuff like this but I was feeling adventurous.

Now, I have not had boxed macaroni and cheese in probably fifteen years, but my husband is an omnivore and LOVES Kraft Macaroni and cheese mix. So I tested this vegan version on him. I found it to be kind of bland but not bad. My husband LOVED it!!! I am thinking if we use if for camping, I will throw in some peas and double the servings to make a meal out of it. I would use it again in a pinch and will use if for canoe camping but otherwise it's probably not going to be a regular menu item for me. I had to order it online as no store sells it around here.
I love that stuff! It's excellent with peas and extra black pepper.
Naturebound likes this.
#14 Old 07-19-2015, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

The EB Mac and Cheese has mixed reviews from vegans online. I personally didn't care for it, I wanted to so bad.

#15 Old 07-20-2015, 02:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegan Mac n Cheese?

Same for me. I used to love Kraft M&C. Homemade is delicious but it would be nice to have a quick and easy guilty pleasure version from a box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#16 Old 07-21-2015, 11:11 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post
The EB Mac and Cheese has mixed reviews from vegans online. I personally didn't care for it, I wanted to so bad.
I didn't really like it either. I found it tasted like the cardboard box it was packed in. I really wanted to like it so I tried a few more but nope. Maybe the new Annie's Vegan Mac N' Cheese will be better.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk
Naturebound likes this.

LeThieu92
Amour sans question, amour simple, amour pour le coeur

#17 Old 07-21-2015, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeThieu92 View Post
I didn't really like it either. I found it tasted like the cardboard box it was packed in. I really wanted to like it so I tried a few more but nope. Maybe the new Annie's Vegan Mac N' Cheese will be better.

Same. I heard that Amy's Kitchen has a good frozen mac and cheese. Daiya has one too, but I don't know if it's good.

#18 Old 07-21-2015, 11:26 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post
Same. I heard that Amy's Kitchen has a good frozen mac and cheese. Daiya has one too, but I don't know if it's good.
Amy's isn't bad.... I haven't seen the Daiya one yet however I just added to my grocery list hehe I may need to go to Whole Foods since my local grocer doesn't have much Daiya products.

LeThieu92
Amour sans question, amour simple, amour pour le coeur

#19 Old 07-21-2015, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeThieu92 View Post
Amy's isn't bad.... I haven't seen the Daiya one yet however I just added to my grocery list hehe I may need to go to Whole Foods since my local grocer doesn't have much Daiya products.

Surprisingly the Whole Foods closest to me didn't have it. Yours might though, the one I go to is half the size of the one closest to me in So Cal.

I'm going to try to melt Chao Cheese down and make mac and cheese with that. I bet it will be awesome.

#20 Old 08-13-2015, 08:34 AM

Home made mac and cheese is the best by far. Everyone has a profile they seem to like, so it's easy to tweak some of the recipes you may find to your liking.

Some good recipes are posted above any many more available with a bit of digging.

I like the Earth Balance Mac and Cheese as a replacement for KD. It does have that highly processed food feel and the smells through the house are strong but It's a good junky treat if you've been off dairy for a ling time and had KD as a kid.

#21 Old 08-13-2015, 03:14 PM

I just made some. Simply melted in some Violife with some macaroni, and a little salt and pepper.

#22 Old 09-23-2015, 01:30 PM

I never had "real" mac and cheese but have tried a vegan option with cream and mustard (and salt and pepper) poured over noodles and then heated in a pan for a little crust.

I liked it, but as I am trying to loose some weight at the moment, I turned to healthier food.
#23 Old 09-27-2015, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I thought the EB boxed mac was gross.

I like Amy's frozen vegan mac and cheese (be careful, because they sell a lactose-free one that is not vegan. The vegan one has Daiya).

Also love the recipe in "Isa Does It" for Roasted Red Pepper mac and cheese. So good!
danakscully64 likes this.
#24 Old 09-27-2015, 05:14 PM

Ive tried Amy's and it was good. But I really wanted to like it. Has any one found a vegan gluten free that isn't horrible? I would really like something that was quick. There are so few ready foods for vegans that are gluten free.We are almost a captive market. Even if it is bad some will still buy it.
#25 Old 09-27-2015, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackiesgirl View Post
Ive tried Amy's and it was good. But I really wanted to like it. Has any one found a vegan gluten free that isn't horrible? I would really like something that was quick. There are so few ready foods for vegans that are gluten free.We are almost a captive market. Even if it is bad some will still buy it.

The Amy's vegan one is also gluten-free.
#26 Old 09-29-2015, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Also love the recipe in "Isa Does It" for Roasted Red Pepper mac and cheese. So good!
I wish I liked red peppers. Her Chipotle Brussel Sprout Mac and cheese is fantastic.

#27 Old 10-10-2015, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Just found a version on the website for the Roasted Red Pepper mac I mentioned above. There's even a video: http://www.theppk.com/2013/10/roaste...-cheese-video/
#28 Old 12-27-2015, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I love the EB mac & cheese. I've tried others but they were all disgusting.
My favorite recipe is fat free vegan's Mac and cheese
#29 Old 12-28-2015, 02:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I recently tried Annie's Home Grown Vegan mac and cheese
http://www.annies.com/products/pasta...s-creamy-sauce

The secret ingredient is pumpkin, and it wasn't too bad, but I didn't like it as well as EB. My omni husband really didn't like this version much either. I also found a vegan gluten free mac and cheese version and bought that one for my Mom for Christmas. I found these at a Whole Foods coop in a town three hours south of where I live. we don't have anything like that up here. It is a pasttime of mine when I visit cities far away to see what vegan products their health food stores carry lol.

#30 Old 09-04-2016, 02:21 PM

I added non-dairy creamer and Earth Balance butter to the Earth Balance Mac and Cheese and it was actually pretty good. I would not recommend it without these additions, though.

Tags
vegan food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page