• 1 Post By jacqui276
  • 1 Post By TheVeggieCat
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 12-14-2014, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Daiya cheese

I tried the daiya provolone slices last week and they were pretty gross. Has anyone tried the mozzarella? I'm willing to to give it 1 more try. It's too expensive to buy it and than throw it away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmm, I would not. I always considered mozz and provolone interchangable, so I'm surprised Daiya has both!
I do love the shreds for grilled cheese and think I'm happy to stick with that.
I had a raincheck for the chunks at Whole Foods but by the time I got back it had expired. Oh well, I guess I'll never know
#3 Old 12-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't like the provolone either but I love the jalapeno garlic havarti wedge and the shreds. I don't think I've tried the mozzarella.
LedBoots likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-14-2014, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe I'll give the shreds a try than
#5 Old 12-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Impeach the gangster

I like the provolone slices on a sandwich or melted into some mac and cheddar. But I also recognize that all cheeses, both real and fake, are sort of gross. Daiya's new gouda block is interesting. I'd like to see them come out with a Colby style.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#6 Old 12-14-2014, 06:58 PM

Hmmm... cheese is never a craving to me, though being a Mongolian. I mean i used to eat a lot of cheese, and to give up, what you need to do is just insist, do not even think about that word...
#7 Old 12-16-2014, 01:40 PM

Try the shreds, they are much much better than the slices. The cheddar slices are tolerable but the provolone and mozzarella ones are gross. I use the shreds for all kinds of things "cheesy".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cherries likes this.
#8 Old 12-16-2014, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I've tried the daiya slices (swiss and provolone), and the mozzarella shreds. I didn't like the slices either. The mozzarella shreds are much better than the slices, in my opinion.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#9 Old 12-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Part-Time Russian

The chedderbshreds are great, but i dont like the slices or the moz. I've stoppped buying daiya after I mastered my own home made dairy free cheeses! Nothing says nachoes like queso, and my milk-free queso is the best on the coast ^_^ I'll share the recipe sometime.
Tom likes this.
#10 Old 12-28-2014, 10:23 AM
The prowling wolf

I never eat vegan cheese as a chunk or uncooked, I put it on pizza or in sauces and that way it does taste OK. I once tried it just like that and it was like cheese flavoured rubber, very unpleasant.

But as said above, melt it and it will be ok most of the time

I like Wilmbersburger vegan cheese, it's the closest to 'real'' cheese we have over here.
#11 Old 02-04-2016, 11:29 PM

I tried the mozzarella shreds for the first time the other day. They were not bad, and I'm coming off an omni backslide that lasted years , so dairy cheese is still fresh in my mind.
#12 Old 02-09-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaia View Post
I tried the mozzarella shreds for the first time the other day. They were not bad, and I'm coming off an omni backslide that lasted years , so dairy cheese is still fresh in my mind.

Whenever people ask me if something tastes good, the worst I will say is "Not bad" :P I really want to try their cheese, but do you think it is worth the price?
#13 Old 02-09-2016, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantBasedLiving View Post
Whenever people ask me if something tastes good, the worst I will say is "Not bad" :P I really want to try their cheese, but do you think it is worth the price?
You mean Daiya? It's at most $4.50 in OHio for the shreds, and often on sale. I swear the cheddar shreds are just American cheese when it comes to a grilled cheese. I like to add to a nutritional yeast mac and cheese for some of the sticky quality, but not too much.
I keep the bag in the freezer as it lasts a while
karenlovessnow likes this.
#14 Old 02-09-2016, 07:48 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

The thing about Daiya is that I use so much less of it than I would have cow milk cheese back in the day. I went years without any cheese subs though, so maybe it's that.

But when I make a pizza, or Mac and cheeze, I use a lot less Daiya than I would have cow cheese.
Naturebound likes this.
#15 Old 02-09-2016, 11:23 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
You mean Daiya? It's at most $4.50 in OHio for the shreds, and often on sale. I swear the cheddar shreds are just American cheese when it comes to a grilled cheese. I like to add to a nutritional yeast mac and cheese for some of the sticky quality, but not too much.
I keep the bag in the freezer as it lasts a while
Ok cool! I will def have to try the cheddar shreds out
#16 Old 02-10-2016, 03:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
The thing about Daiya is that I use so much less of it than I would have cow milk cheese back in the day. I went years without any cheese subs though, so maybe it's that.

But when I make a pizza, or Mac and cheeze, I use a lot less Daiya than I would have cow cheese.
I have the exact same experience! I rarely use vegan cheese on stuff, but when I do I tend to use a lot at once. I didn't even try the vegan cheeses my first two years vegan, but did make homemade almond based cheese (using agar to hold it together). I would make the nutritional yeast based "cheese sauces" or blend tofu and sweet potato and nutritional yeast for a thick "cheese" with macaroni. I was not a fan of dairy cheese since it made me so sick so I had avoided it for years as an omni. Maybe that's why it never appealed to me to try vegan cheese.

When I did finally try Daiya I was pleasantly surprised. My partner (who is omni) also likes it, and he is a HUGE fan of dairy cheese so it is surprising he likes Daiya.

Now, I finally tried Punk Rawk Labs almond based cheese and I was in love lol. THAT stuff is good, but at almost $14 for a small square of it, I just don't buy it. I only bought it twice.
LedBoots likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#17 Old 02-10-2016, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I bought a daya pizza about 2 weeks ago. I thought is was horrible. There was a 2$ cupon with the pizza, but I won't be using it. I just don't like any kind of fatty topping on a pizza I guess. It's good to know I won't be spending any money on vegan cheese.
#18 Old 02-13-2016, 11:04 PM

Granted daiya cheese didn't come out until well over a decade after I stopped eating the real thing, it was the first vegan cheese that I tried that I like. I much prefer the cheddar shreds to any of the others but it melts and I like the taste. My kids (who are not vegans) prefer it to real cheese as well. I find that it costs about the same as an equivalent sized bag of normal cheese shreds.

The daiya pizza is so-so. I wouldn't blame it entirely on the cheese on it. It definitely isn't the best pizza I've ever had but I don't mind it.
#19 Old 03-06-2016, 03:06 PM

I'm not crazy about it. I can eat it on pizza and that's about it. I haven't found a vegan cheese that I really like. That vegan rella is absolutely horrid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page