VeggieBoards banner

Anyone have a Keurig?

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  karenlovessnow 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I'm new around here but I was wondering if anyone has a Keurig Coffee machine and if so, do you like it?

I'm thinking about getting one for my husband's upcoming birthday but there are so many options out there! I've looked into both the regular Kuerigs and the Vues, and while I like all the customization of the Vue (we like really strong coffee!) and that the V Cups are recyclable but I haven't seen the V cups for sale around here, while the regular K Cups seem to be available everywhere.

Are there any pros/cons to either of the systems? Any model in particular that you would recommend?

I did see this model at Costco for about $135, but I also saw that Groupon has a deal for a Vue for about $120, and I can't decide!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

#2 ·
We have a Keurig we were given about 3 years ago as a gift, I haven't seen our model in stores for awhile now but it seems to be going strong.

We both love it. I always have highly caffeinated and regular k-cups or grounds that work with the insert thingy, and sometimes tea k-cups if they're given to me. A note about that little fill-it-yourself re-usable insert- at least the one with my model is ungodly irritating to clean by hand. I've heard the newer ones are better.

I usually just buy regular tea bags and use those instead of k-cups because the amount of plastic thrown away makes me super twitchy.

There are some companies making biodegradable k-cups now, such as:
http://www.amazon.com/San-Francisco-Bay-Coffee-Rainforest/dp/B007TGDXMK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

#3 ·
I have a Keurig and I absolutely love it. It's simple to use and almost every type of coffee is available for it. The clean up is a lot easier and it's faster than a normal coffee pot. My only complaints with it is that sometimes it makes weak coffee and if you have a big family you might be buying a lot more coffee because you can only get about two cups out of a K-Cup. But other than that it's great :)

#4 ·
I'm the only coffee drinker in our household so a Keurig is my perfect coffee maker. I just have the Keurig mini type, where you have to add water before each cup. That works fine for me, and it was the cheapest model, so I'm happy I bought that one. My biggest complaint is that K-cups can be crazy expensive compared to ground coffee. I try to use a My K-cup (which lets you use regular coffee grounds) for normal days and save my K-cups for special occasions and days where I'm feeling down.

Oh - I also love the variety you can offer guests with the K-cup packs. I like to buy different types of K-cups and then use all but two of them, and put two away for when guests come over. Then, when we have guests we have this huge selection of different types of coffee to pick from. People who don't have Keurigs at home always get really excited about choosing which one they want.

#5 ·
I got this as a gift last year and I returned it, I just don't get how its more convenient than a traditional coffee maker and its 5~6 times more. The cups for it are pricey as well and if you use your own grounds its no different than a normal coffee maker (actually worse, I think, since the reusable thing is harder to clean). Plus I often like to make a pot of coffee and drink it over hours.

#6 ·
My old work place had one, and I kept some cups at my desk, but I can't see any benefit to having one at home.
Those cups are terribly wasteful, and expensive!

They do make cheap single serve coffee makers, with a small filter, but what I've always heard is that without the paper filter you either don't get the benefits, or you get something bad---

http://worldofcaffeine.com/2011/06/20/filter-drip-coffee-paper-vs-metal-filters/

#7 ·
They do make cheap single serve coffee makers, with a small filter, but what I've always heard is that without the paper filter you either don't get the benefits, or you get something bad---

http://worldofcaffeine.com/2011/06/20/filter-drip-coffee-paper-vs-metal-filters/
This doesn't cite any research and doesn't make much sense. It claims that caffeine reduces heart disease risk, which is dubious, which offsets the issue with cafestol. But coffee made with a paper filter has caffeine, among other compounds, as well.....so wouldn't coffee made with a paper filter be better since it doesn't have cafestol?

#11 · (Edited)
Well if you have a more demanding taste on coffee I would rather stick with something a bit more professional. Keurigs are not that different from Nespressos and all the pods are really not green/ecological. I currently have a Jura C60 (https://us.jura.com/en/homeproducts/machines/IMPRESSA-C60-UL-1500) is is not that cheap but it includes even a customizable grinder (that is quite important if you are a coffee lover as it is key to make good espressos).

ps.: ah cool... now you can find it with discounts. I wish I did it two years ago...
http://www.stellacoffees.com/best-espresso-machine-under-1000-dollars/

#12 ·
I have a Keurig that's a little older (I think it's almost four years old?) but I really love having it. I used to miss having a big pot of coffee to brew, and still do sometimes when I have multiple guests, however I've cut down my coffee consumption and one cup a day suits my needs just fine.

I rely mostly on the reusable K-cups since I hate waste too. I have two types: the silver three-piece Keurig-brand reusable cup and the red Solofill reusable cup (states on the packaging that it's suitable for Keurigs). The Keurig brand one is ten times better, both to clean and to use. Sometimes the Solofill cup leaks the coffee grinds, but the other one never does. Both are dishwasher safe.

I can't speak much for the Vues, but I hope I helped some!

#13 ·
We love our Keurig and the three of us use the refillable pod so we can grind and use whatever coffee we like. I love strong espresso, sometimes decaf, and son gets free coffee every week as he works at Starbucks, so he brings home the Verona blend for himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.