Please Help-Vegan shoes/boots?! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 1 Post By EcoVeganShoes
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 12-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Hello everyone, I hope this is the right place to put this, I'm not really sure. I searched to see if someone made this topic before but didn't see anything for it. Anyway I'm trying to find Vegan boots and shoes. I was wondering do any big shoe sellers sell Vegan shoes like payless or famous footwear? Also since it's winter I'm trying to find a boot to keep my feet warm. But I don't know where too look, it seems everything has suede in it. :(  Sorry for all the questions but I'm really not sure where to get them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

There are non-leather shoes and boots you can get at places like Payless. Check inside the tongue or on the insole for the material tagging, it should say it's made with "man-made materials" if it's not leather.

The only issue with these shoes is that the glue in them might not be vegan, but if ordering vegan shoes isn't possible due to price constraints or any other reason checking that they don't have leather is a good compromise.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 12-16-2013, 05:41 AM

Google is always your friend! A quick search for vegan footwear will give you loads of different brands and styles to choose from. :) You can always check out our vegan footwear, we have lots of different vegan boots and shoes in our range and because everything's registered with The Vegan Society, you know there are no hidden animal products in the glues. :)

Jasminedesi16 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

I was at a party last night and the topic of "vegan shoes" came up.

The hostess asked: "What does 'vegan shoes' mean? That the shoes do not eat meat? Or that these are shoes vegans can eat?"
#5 Old 12-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

There are non-leather shoes and boots you can get at places like Payless. Check inside the tongue or on the insole for the material tagging, it should say it's made with "man-made materials" if it's not leather.

The only issue with these shoes is that the glue in them might not be vegan, but if ordering vegan shoes isn't possible due to price constraints or any other reason checking that they don't have leather is a good compromise.

Thanks Werewolf girl! People were telling me that it isn't possible to make shoes without leather, but I didn't think that was true. I heard you couldn't get them at shoe stores and you would have to to order them. But that's really good news, I will deffiently check payless :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoVeganShoes View Post

Google is always your friend! A quick search for vegan footwear will give you loads of different brands and styles to choose from. :) You can always check out our vegan footwear, we have lots of different vegan boots and shoes in our range and because everything's registered with The Vegan Society, you know there are no hidden animal products in the glues. :)

Thanks EcoVeganShoes, I actually tried searching for it and it was a bunch of yahoo anwears came up which didn't really help. But I will try again. Thanks so much for the help :) And I never knew they used animal glue for shoes, I will deffintely look out for that!

#6 Old 12-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey guys sorry for the double post, but I had a question I was looking at payless's website to order boots and I saw some that said all manmade materials. Does this mean it does not use animal products? Sorry it might be a stupid question but I know sometimes animal products can hide in stuff, so that's why I was wondering. :P Thanks again in advance :)

#7 Old 12-19-2013, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

The following are stores that specialize in vegan footwear: http://www.zappos.com/women-boots~c

http://www.mooshoes.com/women-s-shoes/boots.html

https://wickedhemp.com/store/w-wicked-trail-bk

You can order online through them, or you could browse their selection, find something that looks interesting and write down the brand and make, and then call around to shoe stores in your area and see if they have them there. I have ordered several vegan shoes online (Wicked Hemp and Garmont Kiowa Hiking boot) and have been lucky with them fitting well. So far they have lasted me several years and are very nice quality. I also get hemp socks which are very warm and wick moisture like wool but are plant based, through wicked Hemp. I live in a northern climate with sub zero temps and tons of snow so I understand the need for very warm socks and shoes. It is still very doable to do without leather, wool, or suede! My current winter boots are very similar to these:

http://www.bobwards.com/COLUMBIA-Womens-Cascadian-Trinity-Boot-2641

I bought them long before becoming vegan but looking at the tag I was elated to see there were no animal derived materials in them (except maybe the glue?). There is no suede, leather, wool, or fur in or on them. Unfortunately Columbia is no longer making that style. But perhaps they have something similar? I think if the Payless shoes say all man made materials they probably do not have animal ingredients, unless there is animal derived glues. I have several shoes from Payless, and I am not going to sweat about the glue. I do sometimes wonder about the labor that went into the shoe though, and whether the person who made them was paid fairly or working dirt cheap. I try to buy fair trade when I can but sometimes I just don't have the extra money to fork out. If nothing else, you could call the manufacturer of the shoe and ask about it. I have done this too. I know the materials are not always listed on the shoe, or even the website sometimes. It can get frustrating. Hope this helps!

Jasminedesi16 likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 12-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank you soo much!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page