Daiya cream cheese - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-06-2013, 09:59 AM

I've seen Daiya's cream cheese line at the health food store the past few times I've gone, but don't want to buy any without hearing some honest reviews first. 

Has anyone given them a try? I'm dying to have strawberry cream cheese bagels in my life again so I'm really hoping that they're good. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I did not like it, but my lactose intolerant adult daughter does.
#3 Old 10-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

I don't HATE it but I must say I was disappointed. It's not as good as I thought it would be, my favourite Daiya product is still the jalapeno garlic havarti wedge.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-06-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I don't HATE it but I must say I was disappointed. It's not as good as I thought it would be, my favourite Daiya product is still the jalapeno garlic havarti wedge.

What were you disappointed by? The taste? Texture?

#5 Old 10-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmilk View Post

What were you disappointed by? The taste? Texture?

The texture was fine, it was the taste that I thought was off. I got the chive and scallion flavour and while that part of it was fine it just also had an aftertaste that didn't quite work for me. I can't really describe it, it wasn't sharp and cheesy enough for me I guess. I do like it better than the Tofutti cream cheese and I could eat it on a bagel in a pinch, but so far I still prefer hummus.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#6 Old 10-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I've tried the strawberry one and I love it. I like the texture FAR more than toffuti's.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#7 Old 10-06-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

The texture was fine, it was the taste that I thought was off. I got the chive and scallion flavour and while that part of it was fine it just also had an aftertaste that didn't quite work for me. I can't really describe it, it wasn't sharp and cheesy enough for me I guess. I do like it better than the Tofutti cream cheese and I could eat it on a bagel in a pinch, but so far I still prefer hummus.

I haven't had dairy cream cheese in years (I was diagnosed with a severe dairy allergy when I was in my early teens) so the taste isn't much of an issue as I don't really have anything to compare it to, save for rapidly fading memories! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

I've tried the strawberry one and I love it. I like the texture FAR more than toffuti's.

The strawberry was the one I was really intrigued by, as I remember being really fond of strawberry cream cheese when I was a kid. I'm glad to hear that you like it! I think I might go ahead and give it a try, if only for nostalgia's sake. :) 

#8 Old 10-08-2013, 08:19 AM

i've been using go veggie! and follow your heart up until daiya released their cream cheeses. Originally when I tried them at earth fest, I was IN LOVE with them. the strawberry flavored one is absolutely delicious, but when they released in stores and I brought them home I was actually really disappointed. Maybe I got a bad batch, as I only bought them once, but the texture was awful. The taste was still fine, but it wasn't creamy at all, it was difficult to spread, and kind of clumpy. I immediately went back to follow your heart for my bagels. 

so if you can get over the texture, i'd say bring the strawberry cream cheese back into your life!

#9 Old 10-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeckums View Post

i've been using go veggie! and follow your heart up until daiya released their cream cheeses. Originally when I tried them at earth fest, I was IN LOVE with them. the strawberry flavored one is absolutely delicious, but when they released in stores and I brought them home I was actually really disappointed. Maybe I got a bad batch, as I only bought them once, but the texture was awful. The taste was still fine, but it wasn't creamy at all, it was difficult to spread, and kind of clumpy. I immediately went back to follow your heart for my bagels. 

so if you can get over the texture, i'd say bring the strawberry cream cheese back into your life!

You must have had a screwy batch. The one I got had spot on texture, but it has been years since I had legit cream cheese... but it was eextremely smooth.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#10 Old 10-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not vegan nor have I tried any Daiya product. (I've tried a few other local cheese analogues). I think it's a pretty pricey product for what you get and I've heard really mixed reviews about it. 

Have you considered trying to make your own cashew cream cheese? I suppose you could add strawberry jam to it. Or if you have a tree nut allergy here's a recipe for tofu cream cheese. I would imagine that the cashew one would yield a better taste and texture, but both seem fairly easy. I'm considering giving the cashew one a try when I can secure a good source for bulk cashews (they are expensive, though cheaper than buying a commercial product).

Aristede:book: 

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#11 Old 10-21-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post

I'm not vegan nor have I tried any Daiya product. (I've tried a few other local cheese analogues). I think it's a pretty pricey product for what you get and I've heard really mixed reviews about it. 

Have you considered trying to make your own cashew cream cheese? I suppose you could add strawberry jam to it. Or if you have a tree nut allergy here's a recipe for tofu cream cheese. I would imagine that the cashew one would yield a better taste and texture, but both seem fairly easy. I'm considering giving the cashew one a try when I can secure a good source for bulk cashews (they are expensive, though cheaper than buying a commercial product).

Aristede:book: 

That cashew cream cheese is a stellar suggestion. I've heard of cashews being used in cream sauces and fake cheeses, but never in cream cheese. I've had a pomegranate cashew cheesecake before and it was absolutely divine, so I imagine that a strawberry cashew cream cheese would be just as good. 

#12 Old 03-15-2014, 08:15 PM

hmmm that's quite possible. it was right when they first rolled out into stores; i shall give it a go again because i would kill for some strawberry cream cheese right about now

#13 Old 07-04-2014, 01:41 PM

ok after being a wimp about wanting to buy it again after my bad experience, i finally did and the texture was perfect. absolutely creamy and delightful. the taste (of the original flavor) was not quite what i expected...i'm going to continue buying follow your heart for my bagels. and only buying the strawberry daiya one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page