How to tell faux leather shoes from real leather shoes? Where can I find them? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-26-2013, 10:22 PM
Veggie Regular

While there are a lot of faux leather purses available nowadays, I've always wondered how to spot faux leather shoes/heels. I've stopped buying shoes when I turned vegan and now I'm having trouble looking for colors and designs that I need. Are heels from Zara, Aldo, or Mango faux leather? They're cheaper than the branded ones so I'm assuming they are? 

Help please. I don't want to come to a point where all my shoes are worn out and I have nothing to replace them with! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-27-2013, 01:01 AM

Hi mlee,

I don't know how it works in the rest of the world but on the Italian products that contain real leather you can find this symbol

And this is an example:

#3 Old 10-08-2013, 08:22 AM

i don't know where you're from, but in the US on the inside of the shoe it usually tells what it's made out of. if it says "man-made materials" then it's faux leather/suede/etc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-12-2013, 03:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeckums View Post

i don't know where you're from, but in the US on the inside of the shoe it usually tells what it's made out of. if it says "man-made materials" then it's faux leather/suede/etc

Hi bbeckums, even Aldo or Zara shoes? I'm not from the US. But I'd like to know how to tell one especially if there aren't any labels if they're man-made or not. 

#5 Old 10-16-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

Hi bbeckums, even Aldo or Zara shoes? I'm not from the US. But I'd like to know how to tell one especially if there aren't any labels if they're man-made or not. 

Zara shoes have all their materials online, just click a shoe and click "composition" and it tells you how much of each material it's made up of.

Aldo tells the materials in their description online as well. I've never been to either of these stores in person, so I'm not sure if it says so on the inside of the shoe on those brands, but maybe you can look them up online before purchasing 

Werewolf Girl likes this.
#6 Old 10-21-2013, 12:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Zara shoes have all their materials online, just click a shoe and click "composition" and it tells you how much of each material it's made up of.

Aldo tells the materials in their description online as well. I've never been to either of these stores in person, so I'm not sure if it says so on the inside of the shoe on those brands, but maybe you can look them up online before purchasing 

Thank you! From now on, I'll be surfing the web before I make any shoe purchase! 

#7 Old 10-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Beginner

Where abouts are you from? In the UK most shoes have little labels somewhere on the shoe saying what they are made of. The leather sign is the same as the one up there ^ (looks like a cow hide basically).

There are a few places that do just veg*n shoes. My fave is this shop here: http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/ They do loads of styles and they last pretty well (and that's something coming from me, I can wear out shoes in 6 months due to the amount of walking that I do). I hope that helps!

#8 Old 11-01-2013, 03:22 AM

Here is a list of some vegan shoes stores.

http://being-vegan.net/lifestyle/the-top-10-vegan-shoes-stores/

:D 

#9 Old 11-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I am currently living in Taiwan. They don't seem to have labels in their shoes. :huh:

#10 Old 11-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

This article has a lot of interesting information about shoe labelling. http://vegansofig.tumblr.com/post/23849747509/how-to-tell-if-your-shoes-are-vegan-this-post
#11 Old 04-19-2014, 01:52 AM

guys does high quality faux leather last like real leather?

#12 Old 04-27-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam alshebany View Post

guys does high quality faux leather last like real leather?

i don't know much about real leather because i've never purchased it, but all my faux leather shoes/bags/jackets last years and years. 

#13 Old 04-30-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:

i don't know much about real leather because i've never purchased it, but all my faux leather shoes/bags/jackets last years and years. 
. So they don't tear and have that fabric showing? and thank you very much
#14 Old 04-30-2014, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

. So they don't tear and have that fabric showing? and thank you very much

I know the type you're talking about! Like a thin vinyl that tears or wears easily and shows fabric underneath? 

There are many different kinds of faux leather. I have heard that the new faux motorcycle gear is more durable than real leather. 

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#15 Old 05-04-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I know the type you're talking about! Like a thin vinyl that tears or wears easily and shows fabric underneath? 
There are many different kinds of faux leather. I have heard that the new faux motorcycle gear is more durable than real leather. 
. Wow thank you so you the new faux leather is better and lasts more than real leather?
#16 Old 05-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

. Wow thank you so you the new faux leather is better and lasts more than real leather?

You'll still the cheapy vinyl over fabric kind. It's a mix. 

I saw a pleather jacket on sale I was going to buy, then I ran my fingernail on the inside and it immediately showed the scratch! 

I don't know what to call anything. I buy second hand about 95% of the time.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#17 Old 05-04-2014, 02:49 PM
Ankle Biter

Faux leather, like anything can vary by manufacturer. Some is better than others. I've had several pairs of shoes from J-41 last several years, while some of the cheap shoes I've bought online have lasted only a few months. You have to be willing to try out a few different brands.

Beware Aldo! A pair of canvas flats in the window recently caught my eye and I went in. Sadly, the interior of the shoe was leather. What a waste! A canvas exterior and a leather foot bed. sad.gif

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#18 Old 05-05-2014, 03:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Faux leather, like anything can vary by manufacturer. Some is better than others. I've had several pairs of shoes from J-41 last several years, while some of the cheap shoes I've bought online have lasted only a few months. You have to be willing to try out a few different brands.

Beware Aldo! A pair of canvas flats in the window recently caught my eye and I went in. Sadly, the interior of the shoe was leather. What a waste! A canvas exterior and a leather foot bed. sad.gif

Oh my! Thank you for that, Poppy! I've always wanted to buy Zara's shoes since they're oh so gorgeously-designed and not very expensive compared to designer shoes. But I'd usually check their website first for the shoes' description, saving the photos of vegan shoes that I've found before buying them at the store. However, I've noticed that most of their heels have leather and I'm a big fan of heels, so I couldn't buy them at Zara.

Eventually, I wrote a letter to their office saying that they might want to consider replacing the leather material used in shoes into PU leather or other cheaper and more animal-friendly alternatives. Purchasing cheaper raw materials or products would already yield higher profits when sold at a premium. I think if a bunch of us would start writing to different brands' offices, they might somehow rethink their products and give in to consumers' demands. :)

I am really REALLY wishing for that day when I can buy all of the shoes at Zara! Hahaha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page