vita mix - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-08-2004, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

my blender died. i use it for sooo much and now find myself unsure of which to buy. does anyone have experience with the vita mix blender? i have read sooo much on it, and it seems good tho a bit pricey. is it worth the money? i do not want to now spend 80.00 on the one i am thinking of based on consumer reports and then have it die quickly only to then have to buy another one in the next year. any help is greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedley View Post

my blender died. i use it for sooo much and now find myself unsure of which to buy. does anyone have experience with the vita mix blender? i have read sooo much on it, and it seems good tho a bit pricey. is it worth the money? i do not want to now spend 80.00 on the one i am thinking of based on consumer reports and then have it die quickly only to then have to buy another one in the next year. any help is greatly appreciated!!

I inherited a VitaMix from my parents. It must be 25 years old or so. It runs fine. Or, put another way, it runs too well. I use it to puree' ingredients for soups and such, and it is so powerful that it practically blasts the soup up through the cap. I have to run it in short bursts and only on the lowest setting. (Sorry to say that my folks mostly used it to crush/blend ice for frozen daquiris and other such drinks.)

Now, a lot might have changed in 25 years. And I have no idea what they paid for it or what comparable models are selling for now. But it is a quality piece of equipment. And I like the fact that it is stainless steel and seems virtually indestructible.
#3 Old 04-08-2004, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

My mom still has her Vita-Mix too (it's at LEAST 25 years old - probably a few years older than that). I ask for it as my present every Christmas, but she won't budge.

If you can afford it, I recommend a Vita-mix. They are costly though.

I don't blend enough to justify the expense. I have a commercial model oster (I got free because someone thought it didn't work - but it really just needed some tweaking) and a KitchenAid blender (it's about 6 years old). They work okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-09-2004, 07:55 AM
Veggie Regular

hey thanks!! i am seriously considering it as i use it so frequently. dvmarie--joe said that the one he has practically blasts the mix thru the top it is so powerful--does your mothers do this?
#5 Old 04-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Banned

Have you considered the Waring PBB? Waring blenders are by far the most popular in restaurant kithens and bars. If you watch Food Network you will notice most of the hosts use the PBB on their show. It is a lot less money than a Vita-Mix and offers similar blending performance. It won't make flour out of wheat berries, but then the Vita-Mix doesn't do that acceptably well either.
#6 Old 04-09-2004, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

Have you considered the Waring PBB? Waring blenders are by far the most popular in restaurant kithens and bars. If you watch Food Network you will notice most of the hosts use the PBB on their show. It is a lot less money than a Vita-Mix and offers similar blending performance. It won't make flour out of wheat berries, but then the Vita-Mix doesn't do that acceptably well either.

i will have to check that out---thanks for tip!!
#7 Old 04-09-2004, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

We got a vita mix for christmas last year, and it's *wonderful*. I love it.

However, if you're just looking for a reasonably good blender, we love our Cuisinart blender. It retails for $90.
#8 Old 04-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

We got a vita mix for christmas last year, and it's *wonderful*. I love it.

However, if you're just looking for a reasonably good blender, we love our Cuisinart blender. It retails for $90.

yes--i had been eyeing this one. i always struggle to make decisions like these!! it took me WEEKS to pick out a mop, yes a freakin mop!!!! and as soon as i bought it i felt like it was the wrong choice anyway!!
#9 Old 04-10-2004, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

well, like I said, it's a good blender. It crushes ice like I've never seen, and very thoroughly mixes things. The thing I like about it is that the base is quite wide - so you don't have a bunch of stuff sitting at the top while the bottom gets pureed. It all moves around pretty well. I think that if you want a blender for, well, general blender use - save the change & get the cuisinart.

good luck with your decision!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page