Bath and Body hand soap has gelatin in it :( - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Banned

I've been using this stuff for months because I love that Bath and Body doesn't test on animals and has great scents. I happened to turn over my bottle of hand soap to read the label, and what do you know - gelatin

It looks like it's just the gel-type hand soap - not the foaming or moisturizing ones. Still, so disappointed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-20-2011, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I still love their stuff anyhow some things you can't help with the geltine and you need the soap to cleanse your body.
#3 Old 07-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

I still love their stuff anyhow some things you can't help with the geltine and you need the soap to cleanse your body.

For this one I think you can, being that most soaps and cleansers don't contain gelatin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

For this one I think you can, being that most soaps and cleansers don't contain gelatin.

Not to mention that Bath and Body Works stuff actually costs more than most soaps at the drug store. I don't really see that "sometimes you can't avoid gelatin" excuse working here.

Some people are just hooked on Bath and Body works, though. Whenever I smell that store as I walk by in the mall, it brings me back to 7th grade...
#5 Old 07-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

"Not tested on animals" doesn't necessarily mean it contains no animal ingredients.
#6 Old 07-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

If you really want animal-free soap, you can find it.
#7 Old 07-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Their foaming soaps are better anyway, they don't leave sticky globs in the sink.
#8 Old 07-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

Whenever I smell that store as I walk by in the mall, it brings me back to 7th grade...

Me too...I'm only a fan of a few specific scents now, but when I was in middle/high school, that store was my understanding of perfume

I checked, and it's only the gel-type soap that has gelatin. The moisturizing ones and foaming ones appear safe. I like the moisturizing ones better anyway, because they're nicer to my dry hands. They're just harder to find in the scents I want sometimes.

Still, I'm glad I noticed this. I never would have thought...the gelatin is just so unnecessary. Most other gel soaps don't have it, so why does B&B think they need it?
#9 Old 07-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you know if the hand santizers has gelatin in it? My husband 6 weeks ago bought me 5 of those and I am still on my first one.
#10 Old 07-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Do you know if the hand santizers has gelatin in it? My husband 6 weeks ago bought me 5 of those and I am still on my first one.

I believe it's just the products with those tiny moisture balls in them. I would just check the label. My Mom bought a ton with the gelatin balls, but I still used them. I have a ton of my own that I bought that are gelatin-free. I figure that once you have it, you might as well use it. *shrugs*
#11 Old 07-21-2011, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I believe it's just the products with those tiny moisture balls in them. I would just check the label. My Mom bought a ton with the gelatin balls, but I still used them. I have a ton of my own that I bought that are gelatin-free. I figure that once you have it, you might as well use it. *shrugs*

Yes and I read the label didn't understand it LOL and they do have small glitter type beads in them however, not going to worry going to use them up LOL.
#12 Old 07-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yes and I read the label didn't understand it LOL and they do have small glitter type beads in them however, not going to worry going to use them up LOL.

I know, so many ingredients Literally, you're just looking for the word "gelatin." It's not in there disguised as some long word. I LOVE my Bath and Body Works products. The Midnight Pomegranate is my favorite. Hold up, going to post 2 photos...
#13 Old 07-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

#14 Old 07-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Banned

The Midnight Pomegranate is my signature scent I have difficulty most mornings choosing between that and my big-girl perfume.

I've been checking other people's gel hand soap, and hardly any has gelatin. Why, Bath and Body? Why?

That said, I'm going to finish what I have and then switch over to their moisturizing hand soaps instead.
#15 Old 07-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I put on MP lotion everyday in addition to my perfume. Sales are the BEST. I got the lotions for $3 each and the soaps for cheap. I don't think I've ever paid full price at Bath and Body.
#16 Old 07-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Banned

deleted

#17 Old 07-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post

Me too...I'm only a fan of a few specific scents now, but when I was in middle/high school, that store was my understanding of perfume

Same here but still is actually. I love their stuff.

Quote:
Still, I'm glad I noticed this. I never would have thought...the gelatin is just so unnecessary. Most other gel soaps don't have it, so why does B&B think they need it?

Even the cheap gel soaps at dollar stores is gelatin free (the ones I've seen anyways).

Their stuff is crazy expensive at the regular price. $10 for a bottle of lotion? Insane. Like Heather, I wait till their huge sale when lotions are $3 and soaps are $1 something.
#18 Old 07-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Banned

Wow that's a big collection danakscully! I have a lot because we buy from the outlets in bulk when they have sales, but they're all the food ones that are now discontinued like cinnamon roll, peppermint, chocolate, iced tea, gumpdrops, cherry pie, pumpkin pie, and vanilla ice cream so I haven't tried any of those ones yet but the apple one looks like it would smell good.

Anyways, that's crazy that they have gelatin! Luckily I only have the foam ones, except for the body wash, which mine doesn't have gelatin. I love Bath and Body Works and Victoria's Secret and Pink and all the other companies they own. The Bath and Body Works usually have the most outlets, though, and the best specials. They always send coupons, too. When there's good sales at the outlets you can stock up on the big 3-in-1 (shampoo, bubble bath, body wash) bottles for about 1.50. The lotions are pretty cheap, too, though I don't remember how much. I think the last special was a mix and match, if you bought a certain amount of perfumes, lotions, or body wash for a discounted price, then they'd also give you one free.
#19 Old 07-22-2011, 09:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

The perfumes in their stuff give me headaches.

#20 Old 07-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Banned

I wait for the sales too. Their bottles aren't even that big, so the full prices are just outrageous.

I also went through all my B&B lotions, sprays, shower gels in search of any other sign of gelatin. Thankfully, I haven't found any. Seems like it's just the soap.

I've never been to a B&B outlet, disneyjessica, but you've inspired me to look for one!
#21 Old 07-23-2011, 12:26 AM
Banned

Quote:

I wait for the sales too. Their bottles aren't even that big, so the full prices are just outrageous.

I also went through all my B&B lotions, sprays, shower gels in search of any other sign of gelatin. Thankfully, I haven't found any. Seems like it's just the soap.

I've never been to a B&B outlet, disneyjessica, but you've inspired me to look for one!

The outlets are amazing Especially if you go after a holiday. Like if you go in January, even later on in the middle or end of January, they have all the holiday gift sets on sale and you can get good deals from those, too, since they already come in big packs for discounted prices. All their best products seem to come out around christmas, too, like all their foody scents like gingerbread and peppermint. The last few years they've also had a gingerbread house or log cabin that you put oil in the top of and when the oil is warmed by a candle in the bottom of the house it fills the room with a scent, and smoke comes out of the chimney. It's really cute and doesn't smell fake like an air freshener does, and they sell the oils all year, but that's the only time I can find the porcelain houses for them. They have a lot of harder to find products like that in the outlet around that time.
#22 Old 07-23-2011, 05:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

Wow that's a big collection danakscully! I have a lot because we buy from the outlets in bulk when they have sales, but they're all the food ones that are now discontinued like cinnamon roll, peppermint, chocolate, iced tea, gumpdrops, cherry pie, pumpkin pie, and vanilla ice cream so I haven't tried any of those ones yet but the apple one looks like it would smell good. .

Those sound amazing. I have never seen them before or an outlet store! You got some good deals.
#23 Old 07-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

Wow that's a big collection danakscully! I have a lot because we buy from the outlets in bulk when they have sales, but they're all the food ones that are now discontinued like cinnamon roll, peppermint, chocolate, iced tea, gumpdrops, cherry pie, pumpkin pie, and vanilla ice cream so I haven't tried any of those ones yet but the apple one looks like it would smell good.

I wonder if there are any outlet stores around here, the website isn't turning anything up. My Mom is a HUGE pumpkin fan, she stocks up every year. I got a bunch of discontinued ones for $3 a big ago, that's why I have so many lotions. The website has the discontinued items for sale as well, which is awesome. I don't know why they don't keep selling them, some of them are amazing.
#24 Old 07-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Banned

No outlets near me It's okay, though...the sales in the regular stores are still pretty good when they come around.

Has anyone checked out the new Mint Chocolate Chip scent? I'm slightly in love.
#25 Old 07-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I wonder if there are any outlet stores around here, the website isn't turning anything up. My Mom is a HUGE pumpkin fan, she stocks up every year. I got a bunch of discontinued ones for $3 a big ago, that's why I have so many lotions. The website has the discontinued items for sale as well, which is awesome. I don't know why they don't keep selling them, some of them are amazing.

The pumpkin scent is one of my favorites.

Quote:

No outlets near me It's okay, though...the sales in the regular stores are still pretty good when they come around.

Has anyone checked out the new Mint Chocolate Chip scent? I'm slightly in love.

That sounds soooo good. I love the food scents. I prefer them over the flowery ones.
#26 Old 07-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

That sounds soooo good. I love the food scents. I prefer them over the flowery ones.

Me too! Everyone I know prefers the flowers and season-y ones, but for some reason I like the food ones the best. The mint chocolate chip is divine! Smells just like a bowl of ice cream.
#27 Old 12-25-2013, 12:44 PM

Do you know if their hand gels consist gelatine?

#28 Old 12-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkman1 View Post

Do you know if their hand gels consist gelatine?

Some do, some don't. A lot of the ones with the gel balls in them do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page