What deodorant do you use? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

If this is a re-hash then I apologize. I want to go natural, organic, and cruelty-free with my deodorant. What brands have you used and would you recommend them and if so, why/why not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I use essential oils in a spray. In the past I've loved Weleda's sprays, used a variety of crystal sprays and also have tried just about every "natural" ones available (the entire lines from Kiss My face, Jason, Nature's Gate, Desert Essence, Aubrey, Tom's etc).

Weleda's are my favorite, by far, as they come in glass, are simple, natural and smell terrific.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 05-17-2011, 02:01 PM

I am using Body Shop's Deo Dry. Iot works much better than any other natural deodorant I have tried
Melanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-17-2011, 03:43 PM

Thai Crystal Deodorant Stone. I just started using it after Tom's unscented gave me a rash. The crystals really DO work!
#5 Old 05-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes I'll go without deodorant, like on some days off from work, and I stink.
The only reason I mention that is because there are some kinds of deodorant that actually make me smell WORSE than I would have without any deodorant at all. That said, it's safe to assume that different people's chemicals work differently with various products.

Personally, I like Jason's Apricot deodorant
Jason's enzyme deodorant makes me smell worse.

The mineral salt rock deodorant stone does work, but I highly recommend you have a backup for right after you've shaved your armpits. Ouch!!! But, the day after you shave your pits, the salt mineral stone thing does a great job rubbing out all the the little hairs that can't quite poke through the skin yet, and therefore helps prevent ingrown hairs.

Just experiment with new products, until you find your go-to product. Keep a tiny little box of baking soda in your car, just in case you're out somewhere and realize that your current deo has failed you horribly. Bring the box into a bathroom, and rub a bit of it into your pits. It will instantly stop the horrid odor.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#6 Old 05-17-2011, 11:18 PM

It was a struggle, but I finally found my HG. Florere...awesome!!
#7 Old 05-17-2011, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

I have no advice myself but good thread topic! I've been on the hunt for a good cruelty free natural deodorant myself so this is super helpful.

Nice to see you back Smob!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#8 Old 05-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I have no advice myself but good thread topic! I've been on the hunt for a good cruelty free natural deodorant myself so this is super helpful.

Nice to see you back Smob!

Thanks! So far so good. Been mostly staying out of the Heap and the Slut thread, though I have ducked my head into both.

So far I haven't gotten any advice that I'd follow except for the crystal deodorants, but they're so pricey that I'd hate to buy one then HATE it...what a waste of money. I wish I could get little samples or trial sizes of all of them.
#9 Old 05-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm with you, smob. I've made several purchases only to be very unhappy. It's one of the products that I really am not having luck replacing.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#10 Old 05-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatVegan1980 View Post

Thai Crystal Deodorant Stone. I just started using it after Tom's unscented gave me a rash. The crystals really DO work!

a deodorant stone.....because I was allergic to a few toms products and found that the others really dont work well for me anyways.

I have used Kiss My Face deodorant in the past too.....when I found an awesome sale and coupon combo and it works ok.

peace

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#11 Old 05-20-2011, 10:24 PM
Banned

deleted
#12 Old 05-22-2011, 11:42 PM

I make my own deodorant from a natural recipe online. It's not an antiperspirant, so you will sweat, but there will be no odor. The ingredients are coconut oil, baking soda, and cornstarch (or arrowroot powder). I've been using it for over 8 months with success. The only issue I've ever had with it is I broke out with a red rash under my arms, which I later realized that the baking soda irritates freshly shaved skin. I now put it on 2-3 hours after shaving and have no problems.

I'm not sure when I can post links, since I'm a newbie and all. If anyone is interested
in the recipe I can post the directions to make it.
#13 Old 05-23-2011, 02:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultclassic View Post

I make my own deodorant from a natural recipe online. It's not an antiperspirant, so you will sweat, but there will be no odor. The ingredients are coconut oil, baking soda, and cornstarch (or arrowroot powder).

Same here. I was sure at first that it would be a big fail, but it's pretty much a winner for me. Have not bought any ready made stuff since. I put some drops of tea tree oil in with it, and I also sparingly use a crystal stone first.
It gets pretty gooey in hot weather, so if you don't keep it in a climate controlled room, you might want to store it in the fridge.
I don't even wipe on as much as I did with the Tom's deo I was using, yet it still lasts much longer.
I mixed up the coconut/baking soda/corn starch mixture, then packed it into some empty oval toms deo containers. Pays to put off throwing stuff like that away.
#14 Old 05-23-2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Shell View Post

Same here. I was sure at first that it would be a big fail, but it's pretty much a winner for me. Have not bought any ready made stuff since. I put some drops of tea tree oil in with it, and I also sparingly use a crystal stone first.
It gets pretty gooey in hot weather, so if you don't keep it in a climate controlled room, you might want to store it in the fridge.
I don't even wipe on as much as I did with the Tom's deo I was using, yet it still lasts much longer.
I mixed up the coconut/baking soda/corn starch mixture, then packed it into some empty oval toms deo containers. Pays to put off throwing stuff like that away.

I reuse my deodorant containers as well. I usually keep them in my room, so if it melts I just stir it with my finger and it works fine (I'm too lazy to walk into the kitchen to get it out of the fridge, lol.)

How many drops of tree tea oil do you add to your mixture? I thought about adding it to mine, but when I used facial soap with the tree tree oil my face turned bright red. Granted, I might have used too much.
#15 Old 05-23-2011, 06:03 AM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

Mitchum user here too but the home made stuff has been interesting me for a while. Tom's worked fine for me but I had to reapply at the end of the day or before exercise to smell less human.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#16 Old 05-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultclassic View Post

How many drops of tree tea oil do you add to your mixture?

I can't remember exactly. I made enough to last me a year, so it's been a while. Tea tree oil is pretty strong, so I would think if you were making enough to fill just one toms container, probably 1 drop would be plenty, or maybe even a bit too much if you're extra sensitive.
I think the tea tree oil really helps, cause I think bacteria can't stand it.
Eucalyptus oil might be good too, if you want to end up with a couple Koala Bears hanging on your arms by the end of the day.
#17 Old 05-23-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Shell View Post

I can't remember exactly. I made enough to last me a year, so it's been a while. Tea tree oil is pretty strong, so I would think if you were making enough to fill just one toms container, probably 1 drop would be plenty, or maybe even a bit too much if you're extra sensitive.
I think the tea tree oil really helps, cause I think bacteria can't stand it.
Eucalyptus oil might be good too, if you want to end up with a couple Koala Bears hanging on your arms by the end of the day.

Thanks for the reply! I think when my container runs out I'll add it to my new mix.
#18 Old 05-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Banned

Found the instructions in my email draft folder :

================================================== ==================

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Stick-Deodorant

1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch
10+ drops tea tree oil
2+ TBSP shortening

The deodorant in this example uses LouAna coconut oil

Put baking soda and cornstarch (see Warnings) in a bowl with tea tree oil. The deodorant in this example was made with 20 drops due to an enthusiasm for tea tree oil. Lavender oil will work as well.

Stir enough shortening in until it's a consistency you like.

Smash into empty deodorant container. It will be a bit sturdier once it sets a day or so.

================================================== ==========

Doesn't look like I copied this "warning" mentioned. (it's cause I like to live dangerously ! )
#19 Old 05-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I have not been able to find a natural/organic brand that works for me. I use Mitchum.
#20 Old 05-27-2011, 03:57 PM

I use the Thai crystal one, but in spray form because I don't shave (you read that right), and any gels or sticks will just clump into the hair <---ick. The spray works great, and no stink, even during a sticky Florida summer!

My art:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
your reputation is ruined, you can live life quite freely."

"Don't sweat the petty things...and don't pet the sweaty things."
"He has my father's eyes!" "Gomez, take those out of his mouth!"
#21 Old 06-12-2011, 06:56 AM

salt stone works great for me when its not hot outside and i wont be working up a really good sweat, it fails pretty badly on the hot days.

for the summer, the before mentioned jasons apricot works well.
#22 Old 06-12-2011, 07:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I make my own with arrowroot powder, baking soda and coconut oil to make a paste with sage oil (helps with sweating) lavender, tea tree and lemon oil (anti bacterial/helps it smell nice)
Some people use more baking soda but I find it to be too scratchy on my sensitive skin.

Recipe from my blog: http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot...t-be-gone.html

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#23 Old 06-12-2011, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I use Toms of Maine, though I did use a baking soda mix for a while. It didn't last all day or me though.

Disclaimer: I'm insane.
#24 Old 06-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Vegan Very Metal

I suppose I'm quite lucky that even after a heavy sweat laden workout, I don't really smell too bad, and I'll maybe only use olive soap to freshen, sometimes I'll just shower with water, using no soap.
#25 Old 06-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post

I suppose I'm quite lucky that even after a heavy sweat laden workout, I don't really smell too bad, and I'll maybe only use olive soap to freshen, sometimes I'll just shower with water, using no soap.

Wow.
For some reason, I find that REALLY attractive!

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#26 Old 06-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I use Mitchum. I tried one of those rocks for a while, but I was just making a smelly fool of myself.

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#27 Old 06-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Banned

I haven't used one since going vegan, thankfully I don't smell. Still need to pick up a vegan one, eventually.
#28 Old 06-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Unfortunately I've tried a few and even when I first got into work in a morning, I stank. I was really aware of it and it was embarrassing so I've now switched back to Sure. Now I don't stink anymore!

ÂMay all beings everywhere plagued with sufferings of body and mind quickly be freed from their pain. May those frightened cease to be afraid, and may those bound be free. May the powerless find power, and may people befriend all life. May those of all species who find themselves lost, the young,...
#29 Old 06-30-2011, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Mitchum.
#30 Old 07-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Banned

Mitchum here too. I sweat too much to use anything that's not also an antiperspirant. I searched for more natural antiperspirants and haven't found ANY.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page