Flax Milk??? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-28-2011, 09:18 AM

Hi There,
I see they have Flax milk at Wal-Mart now. Anyone try it yet? I do a matcha green tea latte every morning with soy, and wonder if the flax would be good also?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Is this the one? http://www.flaxusa.com/products.php?page=flaxmilk

I've never seen flax milk before, let alone try it, so I've no idea how it tastes. Why don't you buy a carton and see if you like it?
#3 Old 04-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Banned

I really want to try it but refuse to patronize wal-mart, I hope the company that makes it starts distributing to other retailers that don't ruin the world...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#5 Old 04-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

I heard about this from someone on Facebook. I'm definitely interested in trying it, but haven't seen it yet. Some people have said it's watery like coconut milk.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#6 Old 05-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mixing ground flax with water gives that "goopey", jel-like consistency.
I'm impressed it's solely at walmart, and vegan. I hate walmart for too many reasons, just plain hate it, but I'm glad they're getting into organic and local foods.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 05-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw it the other day. I'm curious about it but at the same time it sounds absolutely unappealing to me.
#8 Old 05-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Flax oil doesn't have the best of taste in my opinion, so I probably wouldn't like this haha.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#9 Old 05-03-2011, 04:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

Flax oil doesn't have the best of taste in my opinion, so I probably wouldn't like this haha.

Exactly. I just keep imagining it looking and tasting like oily, slimy milk.
#10 Old 05-07-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Exactly. I just keep imagining it looking and tasting like oily, slimy milk.

Oily and slimy milk. *shudder* Now that sounds appealing. This doesn't sound like a "milk" I would try. I'll stick with my soy and nut milks I think! (ingredients didn't look that impressive either, nutrient content I mean...)

Life with Chere Michelle
One Veggie's Quest to be Happy & Healthy
http://www.cheremichelle.com
#11 Old 07-16-2011, 03:24 PM

I have tried both the flaxmilk walmart sells. The original and vanilla. Both are good. The vanilla is too sweet for me but the original is very good. I'll keep buying it. I like it better than soymilk.
#12 Old 07-20-2011, 07:03 AM

So I have tried it. i think it is great. yes it is a little watery but so was 0% milk. i mix it in with my shake mix and a banana and you cant even tell. i have also tried it with cereal and it is better than almond milk, now that is too thick to drink by itself.
#13 Old 07-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaaren View Post

Hi There,
I see they have Flax milk at Wal-Mart now. Anyone try it yet? I do a matcha green tea latte every morning with soy, and wonder if the flax would be good also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loralee View Post

I have tried both the flaxmilk walmart sells. The original and vanilla. Both are good. The vanilla is too sweet for me but the original is very good. I'll keep buying it. I like it better than soymilk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysdvs View Post

So I have tried it. i think it is great. yes it is a little watery but so was 0% milk. i mix it in with my shake mix and a banana and you cant even tell. i have also tried it with cereal and it is better than almond milk, now that is too thick to drink by itself.

Wow you three really must ADORE the flax milk since you spent the time to go through signing up for a forum just to make one random post to praise the stuff.
#14 Old 07-28-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

Try golden flax oil it has a more nutty flavor and a more consistent taste. There are mainly two varieties of golden flax, Carter or Omega, Omega the more common. There are at least 75 varieties of brown flax.
#15 Old 07-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I would not buy this crap, it's flax oil mixed with water. It's NOT flaxseeds mixed with water. Read the ingredients. What a bunch of bull marketing.
#16 Old 07-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Banned

well, the fact that you can use it as milk, and the fat is from flax is interesting to me. it just so happened i bought some from walmart last nite. i'd say it's ok, but nowhere near as good as almond milk. i'm pondering mixing the two.
#17 Old 07-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

well, the fact that you can use it as milk, and the fat is from flax is interesting to me. it just so happened i bought some from walmart last nite. i'd say it's ok, but nowhere near as good as almond milk. i'm pondering mixing the two.

But instead of buying "flax milk" you could buy the oil and blend it with water....?
#18 Old 07-28-2011, 02:27 PM
Banned

there's a bit more to flax milk than just blending the oil with water - at least judging by appearances. i don't see the harm of substituting 1/2 the almond fat for flax fat. if they mix together well (i have noticed that almond milk can be a bit thick) then for the money i've spent, i'm happy.
#19 Old 07-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah, it also has sugar, binders/thickeners, and vitamins.
#20 Old 08-26-2011, 11:53 AM

I haven't tried it since I don't shop at Wal-mart. My mom said it's pretty good, though.
#21 Old 08-27-2011, 04:15 AM
Banned

after buying it and trying it, i have to vote thumbs down on it. basically, it's got an odd taste, and it sucks.
#22 Old 09-10-2011, 07:14 AM

I've tried Flaxmilk and it doesn't taste oily or slimy. It's similiar to almond milk. I use/drink rice, soy and almond milk just to mix it up and now I've added flaxmilk. I don't drink any of them plain but use them over cereal or in smoothies, baking, etc and I think they all are good tasting. The only thing I don't care for in the Flaxmilk is that it's sweetened. Ai prefer my substitute milk to be unsweetened.
#23 Old 09-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I would give it a go but I don't think that I would like it that much.

i'm thinking that there would be that subtle aftertaste that you often get with omega 3 products. I could ignore that though if it mixed well in coffee.
#24 Old 09-18-2011, 04:16 PM

My husband and youngest boy LOVE the vanilla flaxmilk, they think it tastes like melted icecream. Walmart has been out of it for the last 2 weeks though. I was googling to see if I could find out why their warehouses did not have any and I found this board in my search. That was a happy find. Now to look around this place...
#25 Old 09-18-2011, 11:26 PM

Whoa this is a weird spam thread.. I wonder how much this person is getting paid.

"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love." -Pythagoras
#26 Old 01-20-2012, 08:45 PM

I just found flax milk at whole foods. I loved it. It is a bit watery but tasted great in my hot coco and my son loved it in his shake.
#27 Old 01-21-2012, 03:54 PM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

Flax milk lover here. It was pretty smooth and I loved the taste of the vanilla flavor. Original was nice for cooking. I'm very disappointed that our local grocer stopped selling it. We're back on almond milk now. Might give them a call and ask if they can restock it. It always sold out quick.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#28 Old 01-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Banned

The nutritional facts label posted looks like ****. A lot of the nutrients are stripped and there is cane juice in... Mmm mmm added simple carbs.
#29 Old 02-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

I opened up a carton of vanilla flax milk today since I finished my hazelnut milk, and it's OK. It has somewhat of an odd taste to it, but it's not gross to me. If I want to change things up or it's on sale for cheap I might get it again but I like nut milks and coconut milk more.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#30 Old 03-16-2012, 11:25 AM

I haven't heard of flax milk before- I love flax oil, but not sure about a milky version.....

Chur!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page