Purses that aren't leather? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-14-2011, 09:41 AM

This weekend I was looking for a cute bag that wasn't leather but wasn't fake leather either (something fabric or canvas was my goal) and couldn't find a whole lot.

So I was wondering ladies (or gentlemen), where do you find cute bags? I know Etsy probably has some cute stuff but I was hoping to find a store because I like to look at stuff in person. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.alternativeoutfitters.com...-handbags.aspx <------great online store.

My current bag and wallet is from Marshall's, I can usually find non-leather accessories there for under 20 bucks.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#3 Old 02-14-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

http://www.alternativeoutfitters.com...-handbags.aspx <------great online store.

My current bag and wallet is from Marshall's, I can usually find non-leather accessories there for under 20 bucks.

Great link! Nice to find a lot of stuff in one place. I'll have to check out Marhsalls as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

I have a synthetic bag that I absolutely ADORE. It's by LoungeFly. I'm not sure if everything of theirs is vegan, but I think it is (might want to e-mail them). I bought it at Disneyland, it was in their Pirates of the Caribbean section.

I want this one!

http://www.loungefly.com/Products/Ac...Bags/index.php

I'm not sure if it's your style, but they have a lot of cute things. I've also found synthetic purses at JcPenney.
#5 Old 02-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Veggie Regular

i went purse shopping with my mom recently at macy's and there were so many non-leather choices i didn't even have to convince her to skip the leather
#6 Old 02-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes Thanks for the ideas I am looking more into non leather stuff. I hate leather anything.
#7 Old 02-14-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

i went purse shopping with my mom recently at macy's and there were so many non-leather choices i didn't even have to convince her to skip the leather

I went this weekend I could only find leather purses I liked. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. Then again I was looking for a specific style so maybe that's why I couldn't find anything.
#8 Old 02-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I want this one!

Girly overload!

m8itcanw8.com
#9 Old 02-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Isn't that absolutely adorable? I've loved Alice in Wonderland since I was little. One of my high school friends calls me Alice.
#10 Old 02-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Banned

deleted

#11 Old 02-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Ive just bought a fabric handbag. Probably cotton. I found it in a women's clothing store. If you go out to shops, you may end up seeing a number of fabric handbags. They are in fashion at the moment.
#12 Old 02-14-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

I have two bags from Pansy Maiden. They're hand made, vegan, and she takes custom orders. They're fabulous bags!

Loving those! Thanks for the link!
#13 Old 02-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Cat

Oh my gosh I love that bag!!!!!
#14 Old 02-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I love Susan Nichole's purses and own a couple of them myself. Here is a link to her website: http://susannichole.com/

She also, pretty frequently, runs buy one get one free deals which really rocks.

My Vegan Food Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#15 Old 02-16-2011, 01:50 PM

Thanks Veganess for the kind words. We really appreciate your support!

Ladies, just remember that when looking for non-leather alternatives, just make sure its not vinyl or PVC. Unfortunately, nearly all of the mass-produced, department-store bags you'll find are made from PVC which is harmful to you and the environment. Always be sure to avoid products made of PVC, even though they will be much cheaper. PVC is a known carcinogen and is very dangerous for you and the environment when manufactured (it requires large amounts of chlorine and creates dioxin as a byproduct). PVC also carries with it lead and cadmium which can rub off on your hands, your clothing, your kids. Long story short, leave the PVC for your plumbing and not your purse!

For a little more info on PVC, here's a good post on Healthy Child, Healthy World: http://healthychild.org/blog/comment...toxic_plastic/
#16 Old 02-16-2011, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Lulu's

http://www.lulus.com/categories/99_3...-handbags.html

(they also carry really cute vegan shoes)

I'm a big fan of Lesportsac too. Although I'm not sure that any glue they might use is vegan.

Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
#17 Old 02-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Oooh, also try Old Navy and possibly Payless. Again, materials vegan, glue not so sure.

Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
#18 Old 02-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Ankle Biter

I bought two (for one! ) Susan Nichole purses this past fall. I love the quality - they're nicely-lined and come with purse bags.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#19 Old 03-17-2011, 07:07 PM

The brand Urban Expressions has very nice, affordable vegan hand bags.
#20 Old 03-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I've bought lots of shoes/purses from veganchic.com
#21 Old 03-18-2011, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

Ive just bought a fabric handbag. Probably cotton. I found it in a women's clothing store. If you go out to shops, you may end up seeing a number of fabric handbags. They are in fashion at the moment.

I'm a big fan of bags made of fabric, shoes too. I like that they don't LOOK like leather and aren't trying to replace anything.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#22 Old 04-22-2011, 06:36 PM

I went to Sidecar for Pig's Peace (a non-profit vegan general/grocery store in seattle), and they sell bags and accessories also (Espe, Alchemy goods, Queen Bee, etc.) I recently purchased an adorable handmade bag from Queen Bee (small Rita), and the quality and strength are excellent. I do thousands of miles of air travel a month so my bags can have it rough, but it looks as new as the day I purchased it. I also have a wallet from Espe that I get constant compliments on.
#23 Old 04-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I love All Vegan. Lucky for me, the actual storefront is in my city.

http://online.allveganshopping.com/

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#24 Old 04-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I love the simplicity and durability of Timbuk2 bags. I have three of their messengers for school and travel. They're relatively inexpensive, hellaciously durable, and waterproof. I've been stuck in the rainstorm with all my things in my bags and as long as everything's secured, they stay nice and dry.
#25 Old 04-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a friends who makes totes at penguinbot.com They are adorable.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#26 Old 04-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I love fabric bags/totes. I refuse to spend a lot of money on a bag or a lot of money in general . Most of the bags I buy are from Target, Kmart or thrift stores. $15 bucks and under is my price range. I'm poor and cheap but Target and Kmart do occasionally have some really cool bags!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page