Any affordable, readily available vegan hair products? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-13-2011, 08:59 PM

I personally am not big on hairsprays, gels, etc...I like more natural products for my hair. But I have a vegan beauty blog, and I always get a bunch of questions on some affordable vegan styling products. I don't know what to tell them, as most affordable brands test:/ I also don't want to recommend supporting knock-off brands, as those products have benefited from the research behind animal testing. Any recommendations you can give me? I live in the midwest U.S. for reference, so it needs to be something I can find at CVS, Walgreens, Target...etc...Or be able to order online for cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes To Carrots [Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Blueberries] are all vegan, inexpensive and available at drugstores and supermarkets.

My Vegan Food Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 01-13-2011, 10:18 PM

thanks for the recommendation, but I didn't see any hairsprays/styling products on their website? I will definitely check out the shampoos and conditioners though thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

White Rain, ABBA

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#5 Old 01-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Agreed on the White Rain. Hella cheap.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#6 Old 01-14-2011, 03:05 AM

thank you sooo much for the white rain recommendation! I know that people can find that pretty much anywhere, I really appreciate it! I'll let my subscribers know
#7 Old 01-14-2011, 08:13 AM

If you're in a city, you might be able to get Whole Foods' own brand products, which are cheap. Not too cheap, but Paul Mitchell is mostly vegan and in lots of drugstores.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#8 Old 01-14-2011, 03:36 PM

I live in Iowa, so no whole foods where I live:/ I will check out paul mitchell though and check through ingredients and such. Thanks for the tip!
#9 Old 01-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

All Alberto Culver brands and Salon Selectives.

Keep on freepin' on

#10 Old 01-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone know of a vegan hair dye that they like?

(I am looking for brown/black)

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." -Alice Walker
#11 Old 01-15-2011, 04:02 PM

I'm not sure if its vegan, but I've used Revlon hairdyes in the past. I've chosen to go back to my normal color. I know manic panic is vegan, but I don't know if they carry normal colors or not.
#12 Old 01-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Henna?

Keep on freepin' on

#13 Old 01-15-2011, 11:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually bought some henna stuff (Light Mountain) but a friend of mine told me that they know someone who tried henna and as it started to fade and come out it turned a horrible orange color until it grew out. Now I am afraid to try it...

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." -Alice Walker
#14 Old 01-16-2011, 04:35 AM

someone on the forum said prevanna haircolor was vegan...you may want to look into that?
#15 Old 01-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiebeauty View Post

someone on the forum said prevanna haircolor was vegan...you may want to look into that?

thanks!

#16 Old 01-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Unintentionally Kittened

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrowthepig View Post

All Alberto Culver brands and Salon Selectives.

Alberto-Culver was recently acquired by Unilever Hopefully those brands will continue to not test anything on animals. Also, they make some things that are not vegan, e.g. containing gelatin, keratin, or silk.

A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
#17 Old 01-16-2011, 07:27 PM

you are very welcome! Let me know how you like it!
#18 Old 01-23-2011, 05:09 PM

I found out that white rain gets their ingredients tested by a third party Its so difficult doing cruelty-free research! I recommend everyone check out leapingbunny.org..its the most accurate list of found as of yet.
#19 Old 01-23-2011, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPotato View Post

I actually bought some henna stuff (Light Mountain) but a friend of mine told me that they know someone who tried henna and as it started to fade and come out it turned a horrible orange color until it grew out. Now I am afraid to try it...

Did your friend ever use hair color? I use henna I get from an Asian store, direct from India, Reshna brand. It's pure henna powder. I mix it with enough hot water to make a thin paste, with about 2 T. white vinegar (I forget why I add vinegar, I read to on the web.). I have dark brown, with white coming in, and old hair that's been previously colored a bit lighter. On the colored ends, it's real red, but on my natural dark brown it's just deep auburn and the white hairs are brighter.
I really love it, even though it smells for the first week. I don't think it fades at all, and I've used it about every 2 months.
Cost about $3.00 for 3 applications!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#20 Old 01-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Did your friend ever use hair color? I use henna I get from an Asian store, direct from India, Reshna brand. It's pure henna powder. I mix it with enough hot water to make a thin paste, with about 2 T. white vinegar (I forget why I add vinegar, I read to on the web.). I have dark brown, with white coming in, and old hair that's been previously colored a bit lighter. On the colored ends, it's real red, but on my natural dark brown it's just deep auburn and the white hairs are brighter.
I really love it, even though it smells for the first week. I don't think it fades at all, and I've used it about every 2 months.

Wow, sounds good. Thanks!

#21 Old 01-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I have a very similar routine, I've been using henna for years and I looooove it.

I also recommend Lush hair products.
#22 Old 02-17-2011, 03:17 AM

Hair care products with harmful chemicals are really not good, they damage the hairs very badly. It is always better and safer to use hair care products which are absolutely free from harmful chemicals. Organic hair care products have been proved as very good and effective.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page