Better Than Boullion No Chicken Base - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Riot Nrrrd

I made some grits using this tonight, and was very pleased with the result. MUCH tastier than cubes. I'm not good at making stock (many of the veggies I use are too strongly flavored to make good stock).

I could see using 3/4 tsp/cup water instead of 1 tsp. The flavor is pretty prominent.

Can't wait to try it in seitan!

Link: http://www.superiortouch.com/retail/...getarian-bases

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-20-2010, 06:59 PM

I really like these too and have been using them for awhile now and my fiancee made me chicken seitan soup with it when I was sick about a month ago....it was yummers in the tummers....I also like the BTB No Beef Base and The BTB Veggie Base.....so many different things you can make with them.

peace
#3 Old 08-20-2010, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

This is my absolute favorite Bouillon. I always have this one, the vegetable, and No beef on hand at all times. They seem more expensive, but they're much cheaper than canned broth and probably most cubes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-20-2010, 09:44 PM

totally agree with you and some of my local stores carry at least the veggie one and when its on sale I stock up....the others from the website and its a great deal

peace
#5 Old 08-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh yeah, I use this in a lot of things, especially the chicken flavor. I also use it in my Thanksgiving dressing and gravy.
#6 Old 08-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Riot Nrrrd

The price per serving is comparable to cubes at the general grocery I shop at, but the product itself is so much better it feels like a bargain ...

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#7 Old 08-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

I once found the Organic Vegetable kind on clearance for $2.99, bought 3 I will never go back to the powdered stuff... well, I might use up the rest of what I have, but I'm not buying more of it.
#8 Old 08-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Can anyone compare BTB to Imagines Not Chicken Broth in the aesepic cartons? I can find 32 oz. containers for .75 cents, but I haven't seen BTB on sale.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#9 Old 08-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

^^ Price wise, they're about the same anyway.

304 oz of broth for BTB (or more if you use less, which I sometimes do) = ~$5-7

9.5 containers of INCB equals the same amount. 75 cents x 9.5 = $7.125

I wish I had tried the INCB before so I could compare taste wise. I've never been able to find a 32 oz container for 75 cents of any broth. Where do you buy?
#10 Old 08-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

^That's definitly not the usual price! It was sale at Mustard Seed market- natural food store here, for $1.50. I had quite a few coupons from - the little coupon books they have at the entrance- something sprouts- mambo sprouts coupons! I really stocked up, and liked it a lot. I even dilute a bit.

#11 Old 08-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

When you're all out and it's at full price, BTB will definitely be cheaper. Since you stocked up on No Chicken Broth, why not buy the BTB Vegetable brand for variety? Or the No Beef?
#12 Old 09-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

***Warning***

The regular beef and chicken flavor labels look very much like the "not" ones!
I went to my natural food store for this, and was nuts trying to find the "not" ones. They were right beside the real beef and chicken, and the labels were very much alike.

I got both "not beef, and not chicken, and everyone loved them! Hello french onion soup!

#13 Old 09-10-2010, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

I picked up the No Chicken, and also Mushroom flavor at Whole Foods last shopping trip. I was really excited about the mushroom, but after I got home I checked the BtB website, and the mushroom isn't in the "vegetarian" section. Must be "natural flavors."
I'll probably be getting No Beef and Vegetable flavor next time I'm at the regular grocery store, soup season is coming up soon.

I've wondered why the mushroom base wasn't in the vegetarian section too. I don't think that means it's definitely not vegetarian, maybe they just didn't want to label it as such because it could confuse omnis or discourage them from buying it. *shrugs* Have you e-mailed them?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page