Luna's making low carb bars - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-23-2004, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.clifbar.com/eat/eat.cfm?location=luna&id=226

Saw this on the their site, Hmmmmm......so the Low Carb thing is going pretty strong even Luna compromised
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-23-2004, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, it irritates me, too. Supply and demand, I guess. Got to supply what the consumers demand. I suppose if everyone went on a dung diet, there'd be a Luna bar (and MANY other brands) in that flavor, too.
#3 Old 01-23-2004, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I could give a who ha about low carb, but what upsets me:

"CONTAINS DAIRY, SOY, PEANUTS, & MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF SEEDS AND OTHER NUTS"

I thought luna/clif bars were dedicated to providing a vegan product? Why does something need whey just to be low carb? GRR!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-23-2004, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Chuh. I just called 1-800-CLIF-BAR and told them I was disappointed.

The lady said they had so many demands for a low-card bar, and to make it tasty, the inclusion of dairy was a decision they made.

All upset persons should call the hotline. It just takes a second. Let them know we are miffed about the use of animal products! Maybe they'll think differently next time. (Or maybe even take these bars off the market? Change the recipe?)
#5 Old 01-23-2004, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

most low carb bars contains gelatins and collagen (Atkins, Carb Solutions, EAS to name a few), let's hope Luna won't slip that far. sigh........
#6 Old 01-23-2004, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

The impression that I get from this board is that vegans don't seem to care about low carb diets, so it wouldn't seem to matter if whey was included in a low-carb snack bar.
#7 Old 01-23-2004, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

kpickell, true, but Fantastic Foods started making the low-carb soups for veg*ns because they got a million requests for them. So apparently there are many veg*ns out there who want low-carb stuff.

Low carb stuff doesn't bother me. I'm not going to buy it, but if the veg*n companies get a demand for it and make money off of it, good for them. I want them to do well. Adding dairy however, DOES bother me. That, my friends, is the definition of selling out.

Hm. I just called the number and hit "5" for consumer services, but I got an answering machine. *shrug* I'll call back tomorrow or something.

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#8 Old 01-23-2004, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

The impression that I get from this board is that vegans don't seem to care about low carb diets, so it wouldn't seem to matter if whey was included in a low-carb snack bar.

It's not so much that I'm disappointed I won't get to eat these bars. It's that an all-vegan company has now begun using animal products. Whereas I used to be able to count on them to not add to the cruelty. It's one loss for the animals, not for me.
#9 Old 01-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

They're also higher in fat. Ew. No thanks.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#10 Old 01-23-2004, 10:34 PM

I never would think that the regular ones would have too high of a carb content. Probably just a marketing ploy.
#11 Old 01-23-2004, 10:58 PM

I saw these too. Even though I could care a less about low carb, the flavors sounded great..... until I saw cream listed in the ingredients. Oh well.
#12 Old 01-27-2004, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I would've been happy to try a low-carb Luna bar! I'm not on a low-carb diet, but I definitely cut sugar when possible. What a bummer that they include dairy--that really pisses me off.
#13 Old 01-28-2004, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

oh darn, i wasn't the first to post this! i was all excited when i got the email and was going to make a post, hehe.

not excited about the product, just about making a post about it. i'm a dork

anyway, i just kind of laughed and rolled my eyes at seeing that, didn't think much of it, oh everyone's banking on the trend and whatnot, but now that i know the products aren't even VEGAN, i'm pretty ticked. grr.
#14 Old 01-28-2004, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey I got the junk mail from Luna too today. But I replied and told them better get rid of the whey stuff. Don't think I will try it, the price is rip-off. A dollar can be used to buy lots peanuts from bulk bin
#15 Old 01-28-2004, 10:16 PM
Veggie Regular

" Iwould just like to comment that I am extremely disappointed that Cliff bar and associates have chosen to make the new low carb bars non vegan friendly. I have been a fan of cliff and luna for quiet a long time. I would possibly even buy the low carb glow bars if they did not have dairy products in them. It is obviously possible to make a great tasting bar without the ingredients such as whey or casienate. I hope you take into consideration that you might possibly loose a long time customer over this issue"

I sent that to Cliff. I probably won't stop buying luna, but it would save me money in the long run lol .
#16 Old 01-29-2004, 12:28 AM
Banned

The dairy thing is one issue, but I, like a lot of others, do try to cut back on excess sugar.

I am not low carb, I am low bad carb, and there is nothing wrong with that.
#17 Old 01-29-2004, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I'll have to make sure I don't grab one by mistake while I'm flying through my shopping ... it was nice to not have to pause and read the label on a Luna.

My S'mores bar has 180 calories and 26g of carbs ... is that "high carb"? How many carbs does a low-carber consider to be low?

("How much wood would a woodchuck chuck....?" )

ETA: Just looked at the site. What are "net impact carbs"? How many "net impact carbs" would the original bar(s) have?
#18 Old 01-29-2004, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I think I was allowed 30 grams of carbs a day based on height and weight, if I remember correctly. I was on the diet for several months about 6 years ago.
#19 Old 01-29-2004, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow! -- so a single Luna bar would use up almost your entire "allowance" ....
#20 Old 01-29-2004, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Yep, it made no sense. I ate a lot of cheese, bacon and animal flesh at the time. I think blueberries were relatively low in carbs, so I ate those. No pork rinds, though, eww. A diet that recommends pork rinds and cheese and discourages fruits and vegetables is insane. I went on Weight Watchers shortly after this (along with exercise), and lost weight.

Back on topic, I suppose the Luna Bars are a fair idea. It's good to cut back on the bad carbs. But most of the people I know follow the diet as if all carbs are bad.
#21 Old 01-29-2004, 09:43 AM

There has been days when I ate 4 luna bars in a row ..haha. Anyway, fotunately no ill weight gaining effects were a result of that. Guess they have the "good" carbs.
#22 Old 01-29-2004, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyK View Post

I'll have to make sure I don't grab one by mistake while I'm flying through my shopping ... it was nice to not have to pause and read the label on a Luna.

My S'mores bar has 180 calories and 26g of carbs ... is that "high carb"? How many carbs does a low-carber consider to be low?

("How much wood would a woodchuck chuck....?" )

ETA: Just looked at the site. What are "net impact carbs"? How many "net impact carbs" would the original bar(s) have?

I have heard that the net impact carbs are basically the carb count minus the fiber content. It's supposed to be the carbs that actually affect your blood sugar.

.......not that I count carbs at all.
#23 Old 01-29-2004, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Now Atkins brand low carb cereal is vegan and Luna's new bars are NOT, the world is getting funny around the low carb thing, hoho....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page