Veg*n for cheap! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-21-2004, 11:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I figure after starting my Clairol thread, that I'd start one about any products people know of that are vegan/not tested on animals and cheap! I'm a student and have no job, so I can't afford to buy $10 bottles of Kiss My Face, and I figure others here probably would like to buy cheap stuff too....so maybe we can all make a list of products that are easy on the wallet. I know someone said that VO1 shampoo is like 99 cents. Anyone else have anything to add? Doesn't have to just be shampoo by the way lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-22-2004, 12:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I love the Totally Juicy and Totally Nutty bath and body products(http://www.totallyjuicy.com/). I think they are around $4-5 in the US, I'm not too sure if that is cheap compared to other products you can get, but they smell so good!
#3 Old 01-22-2004, 12:47 AM
Veggie Regular

i like the Body @ Best line. i got the shampoo and conditioner and pear body spray on clearance for 99 cents each. none of their stuff is tested on animals from what i can tell. not totally sure on the ingredients though. and it all smells yummy. the shampoo and conditioner are unisex

i also got Jason Cosmetics body lotion on sale for $5 at the HFS and facial cleanser for $6. both are fairly large and will last a long time. the last thing of lotion i bought lasted like a year.

also at drug stores look for single use packets of cleansing masques for face and hair, i've seen at least 2 brands that are not tested on animals, they usually go on sale for 99 cents a piece or less, i get them whenever they're on sale for stocking stuffers and to put in birthday presents. and though they're single use they're generous portions, i've gotten about 5 uses out of one, i just fold up the open part really tight to keep from drying out.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-22-2004, 01:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you have a Dollar Tree where you live? I love that place. It's a chain Dollar Store with lots of good goods. Anyways, they sell Sun Laundry Detergent for a dollar and CuddleSoft Fabric Softner (liquid or dryer sheets) for a dollar, and they have several different brands of shampoos and conditioners that are vegan and cruelty-free that are only a dollar, as well as all other toiletries. So, Dollar Tree, go there. If you don't have that, most of the stuff is also sold in Big Lots for a little bit more money.
#5 Old 01-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I bought Avalon Organics shampoo and conditioner for about $1.50 a bottle the last time I was at Big Lots. I discovered that they have a bunch of vegan things. I even bought a couple cans of organic vegetable broth and organic diced tomatoes for about thirty three cents each.
#6 Old 01-22-2004, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I believe its Food Lion, their generic brands are not tested on animals.
#7 Old 01-22-2004, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Big Lots! Or Odd Lots! Rock my socks!

In addition to finding Boca Burgers for 1.50 per package, Barbara's cereals for .99 a box and Cascadian Farms pre packaged meals for 1.00. I found Joey of New york products, Avalon, Aubrey Organics and Zum bars all at my local Big Lots.

I suggest stocking up because once they are out of stuff they are out for good.

I'm the poor wife of a grad student, so I LOVE my Big Lots
#8 Old 01-22-2004, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't have any of those stores around, I just shop at the grocery store in my town.

Oh I forgot to add...I got my boots at Sears for only $30, they look cooler then Doc Martains yet tons cheaper(and not leather)!
#9 Old 01-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anndr0id View Post

I believe its Food Lion, their generic brands are not tested on animals.

I've wondered about Wal-Mart's generic brands, are they tested on animals? I've used some of their products in the past and they seem to be just as good as name brands and a whole heck of a lot cheaper. It would be great if they were animal friendly as well! Anyone know?
#10 Old 01-22-2004, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbivore View Post

I've wondered about Wal-Mart's generic brands, are they tested on animals? I've used some of their products in the past and they seem to be just as good as name brands and a whole heck of a lot cheaper. It would be great if they were animal friendly as well! Anyone know?

i know that walmart dish soap isnt tested on animals
#11 Old 01-22-2004, 08:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Wal-Mart is a bad corporation though, so I don't shop there. http://www.responsibleshopper.org/ba...m?cusip=931142

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#12 Old 01-22-2004, 09:16 PM

when money is super tight, i don't think most people care if they shop at wal-mart.
#13 Old 01-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyandbunny View Post

Big Lots! Or Odd Lots! Rock my socks!

In addition to finding Boca Burgers for 1.50 per package, Barbara's cereals for .99 a box and Cascadian Farms pre packaged meals for 1.00. I found Joey of New york products, Avalon, Aubrey Organics and Zum bars all at my local Big Lots.

I suggest stocking up because once they are out of stuff they are out for good.

I'm the poor wife of a grad student, so I LOVE my Big Lots

Yay for Big Lots! I just went there tonight and got VO5 shampoo and conditioner for 96 cents a bottle, veggie cruelty-free sandalwood soaps for 76 cents each and 4 boxes of Cascadian Farms organic sugar-free Purely O's (like Cheerios) for $1.99 each. I go there all the time and always find good beauty products and occasionally a food find.
#14 Old 01-22-2004, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FafaFrappy View Post

when money is super tight, i don't think most people care if they shop at wal-mart.

So when people get low on cash they still care about animals, but they stop caring about people?

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#15 Old 01-23-2004, 02:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I shop at Wal-Mart all the time, but that's a different subject, so I won't give my reasons or justifications in this thread.

Suffice to say I won't pay more than $2 for any toiletry and have not had any trouble finding cruelty-free alternatives for cheap. The one exception I make is Toms of Maine toothpaste and I pay more for that because I like their company and I love the taste of one of their toothpastes. But even that I buy from a discount store so as not to pay the outrageous overpriced costs of our health food store.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page