Books books books - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-11-2010, 09:58 PM

What are some good veggie cookbooks for college students on a budget that are easy to make ?

I'm all glued back together now. I make no apologies for how I chose to repair what you broke.
--Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-12-2010, 06:05 AM

I must admit that I really enjoy Vegan Planet, a Christmas gift from '08.

ETA: Be sure to check out the recipes section here, and on www.vegweb.com. They rate the recipes there, and have much discussion about them, which I find helpful.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 01-13-2010, 06:39 PM

I really like Vegan with a Vengeance (VWAV), Veganomicon is also great and has basic cooking information that can be very helpful. The only thing is, it depends on what you think 'easy to make' is. Some of the recipes are more involved but I still find things to make after a crazy day if I have some cans of beans or lentils in the cupboard.

Also will you have a stovetop and oven? I heard PETA's college cookbook is all microwave friendly but I think it relies heavily on packaged food. There is a microwave vegan cookbook: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...+vegan&x=0&y=0 - I don't know anything about it however. Also on that page is 'vegan bites' which is about cooking for one/couples, I've looked at it but don't own it and haven't cooked from it. From memory it has meal plans and shopping lists which can be useful and help cut down waste.

Sarah Kramer's Vegan A Go Go is another one I recommend - tiny book packed with easy recipes that always turn out, even if I don't think they are as 'wow' as Veganomicon. I bought it for travelling but I use it a lot on lazy days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-13-2010, 06:48 PM

I wish I could remember the name now - I saw some sort of vegetarian college student's cookbook just the other day at Borders! VWAV and Veganomicon are good, although I do think a bit more involved. Not really difficult, just more work than others. I think Nava Atlas' "Vegetarian Family Cookbook" has a lot of simple, quick, inexpensive ideas. The first veg cookbook I ever bought was "Quick Vegetarian Pleasures" (I forget the author, sorry) - it was, as advertised, pretty quick and easy!
#5 Old 01-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Banned

#6 Old 01-13-2010, 08:26 PM

Yes!!
#7 Old 01-14-2010, 03:35 PM

WOW !

Thanks for giving me such good ideas

i will check them all out

I'm all glued back together now. I make no apologies for how I chose to repair what you broke.
--Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page