Nasoya flavored silken tofu - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Veggie Regular

The company Nasoya has come out with a new line of flavored silken tofu in chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. Nasoya brand is in major supermarkets here in southern Florida - not sure about their availability elsewhere. I picked up the chocolate and vanilla to try them out in smoothies.

The chocolate is VERY rich. It's like chocolate pudding, and you could sit and just eat it plain with a spoon, but I think it's too sweet for that. I had to blend it with plain soy milk in smoothies to water down the sweetness some.

The vanilla just has an odd taste. It's not really vanilla, and it has a very strong flavor that overpowered the stuff I tried to mix it with. Not only won't I buy this one again, but I doubt if I'll use the whole package that I bought already. It kinda reminds me of the taste of Play Doh, but I also said the same thing about Toffuti's "Better Than Cream Cheese" [sic] product. So I guess if you like one, you might like the other - I don't like either.

So end result, I'm not planning to buy these flavored tofu products again. They seemed like a great idea, but I just don't like the flavor.

--Fromper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I was looking forward to trying those too...thanks for being our guinea pig!
#3 Old 09-19-2009, 11:56 PM

I'm so glad I'm not the only person who is reminded of Play-doh when eating that stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-20-2009, 12:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, it kind of made me wonder why I thought of the taste of Play Doh. I don't specifically remember eating Play Doh as a kid, but I must have, or I wouldn't know what it tastes like.

Now the all important question: Is Play Doh vegan?

--Fromper

#5 Old 09-20-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

The company Nasoya has come out with a new line of flavored silken tofu in chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. Nasoya brand is in major supermarkets here in southern Florida - not sure about their availability elsewhere. I picked up the chocolate and vanilla to try them out in smoothies.

The chocolate is VERY rich. It's like chocolate pudding, and you could sit and just eat it plain with a spoon, but I think it's too sweet for that. I had to blend it with plain soy milk in smoothies to water down the sweetness some.

The vanilla just has an odd taste. It's not really vanilla, and it has a very strong flavor that overpowered the stuff I tried to mix it with. Not only won't I buy this one again, but I doubt if I'll use the whole package that I bought already. It kinda reminds me of the taste of Play Doh, but I also said the same thing about Toffuti's "Better Than Cream Cheese" [sic] product. So I guess if you like one, you might like the other - I don't like either.

So end result, I'm not planning to buy these flavored tofu products again. They seemed like a great idea, but I just don't like the flavor.

--Fromper

Thanx for the heads up on this....as a Veggie for 20 years....I still havent found a Tofu I like.....LOL.....The Chocolate Sounds Yummers!!
#6 Old 09-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I like normal firm tofu, because it tastes like whatever sauce you flavor it with. I usually do teriyaki or something and mix it into rice and stir fry veggies. Just never tried silken before.

--Fromper

#7 Old 09-21-2009, 08:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I tried the strawberry recently and I kind of liked it. I tossed it into the blender with some frozen berries, a frozen banana, a couple of ice cubes and a little bit of water. I thought it turned out pretty good actually. It made a lot so I froze the leftover overnight and ended up eating it like ice cream the next day.

I have a package of the chocolate that I'm going to try with some frozen raspberries and another banana. I would definitely get the strawberry one again and, knowing my love for chocolate, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna like that flavor also. They have a recipe on their site for a cappuccino silken pie that looks droolworthy that I was thinking about trying also.

Support your right to arm bears. ~Cleveland Amory
#8 Old 09-25-2009, 06:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I tried the strawberry and vanilla and didn't like either.
#9 Old 09-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for posting a review! When you said that the chocolate was like pudding, I knew I had to try it. I just opened up the package, and it is indeed like pudding. It is a bit on the sweet side, but it makes me happy!
#10 Old 09-27-2009, 02:49 AM

i saw these at the store a few weeks ago and thought they looked gross. not only because i hate nasoya's flavor and dislike the way it always tastes so far from fresh. i just couldn't see the flavors being blended properly.

guess i was right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page