Morning star products...GROUND BEEF! I got beef with it...NOW - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Beginner

So this brand of soy products has been one of my favorite for a while...

but today while shopping for a bag of ground beef...

the ingredients said it contained MILK AND EGG PRODUCTS!!!

what!?

IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN VEGAN why change it now?

Anyone else notice this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

hmmm... i've never bought that stuff, but i just took a look at the website and it looks like the ingredients have changed for good (for now anyway). very sad. i've never been very impressed with morningstar farms' modus operandi. i mean, weren't they supposed to start using LESS eggs in their products starting this fall?
#3 Old 09-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I just bought some and stuck it in the freezer. After running downstairs to check, it's vegan. No egg or milk in my package.

But holy crap.... I just looked at their website and look what it says:

http://www.morningstarfarms.com/prod...ily=366&id=324

Egg whites and skim milk! Why?! Why?!?!? I'm glad you brought this up. My store must still have the old ones in stock. I'm going back out to get the rest that they have in case these hit our shelves soon. I'm also writing a very very angry letter to MSF/Kellogg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-07-2009, 02:20 PM

Boca's crumbles sales are going to go up with this change!
#5 Old 09-08-2009, 04:57 AM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#6 Old 09-08-2009, 05:01 AM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#7 Old 09-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Perhaps if we all write letters to Morningstar protesting this change, they will change the recipe back.... I don't know.... The only product I buy of theirs is the crumbles.... Boca Co. is probably happy!

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#8 Old 09-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Banned

#9 Old 09-08-2009, 07:38 AM
Banned

They most likely use powdered milk and egg whites a cheaper binder than what they were using before. They can get it bulk for low prices. This will keep their product the same consistency while increasing the profit margin on the unit. Somebody at Morningstar probably got a promotion and raise for this 'cost savings'.
#10 Old 09-08-2009, 07:49 AM
Veggie Regular

What befuddles me is that it's not just vegans that are affected by this either. Dairy-free vegetarians and omnis (of which there are many due to allergies and intolerances) will stop buying these products as well. In an age where many companies are removing dairy from their products, these jokers are adding it back in?
#11 Old 09-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

What befuddles me is that it's not just vegans that are affected by this either. Dairy-free vegetarians and omnis (of which there are many due to allergies and intolerances) will stop buying these products as well. In an age where many companies are removing dairy from their products, these jokers are adding it back in?

Not really. Lactose intolerant people will still be able to buy the product and exactly how many people are allergic to egg whites?

The vast majority of people who buy these products are not vegetarians or those with allergies but by omnivores who are reducing their meat intake for heatlh reasons. The company will not lose its core demographic by this change, frustrating as that is.
#12 Old 09-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Really frustrating because I loved these. Glad I haven't bought any in a month or so. I remember seeing this mentioned elsewhere and checked my old bag and it was still vegan, but I haven't bought anymore since that bag. I really liked them, though.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#13 Old 09-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow, thanks for pointing that out. I'm not expecting it will do anything but I sent them an email from their contact form and I would suggest you all do the same: http://www.morningstarfarms.com/contact_us.aspx
#14 Old 09-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Beginner

I encourage you all to write Morning star and direct our concerns.

This is my favorite soy product...

it makes sloppy joes, tacos...and pretty much anything your in the mood for.
#15 Old 09-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I noticed this quite a while back and was really unhappy about it.

I hate having to find a new vegan replacement.

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥
#16 Old 09-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Banned

#17 Old 09-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

"Fake hamburger flavored with... hamburger! Genius!"

Don't give them any ideas. Actually the kellogs take-over happened before they released this statement, "according to company spokeswoman Kathleen Eckler, in 2008 “Kellogg is reducing the amount of eggs we use in our Morningstar products by a minimum of one million eggs. We’re committed to announcing even more new vegan products for our customers.”

I included that in my email to them yesterday.
#18 Old 09-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Lactose intolerant people will still be able to buy the product and exactly how many people are allergic to egg whites?

Huh?

My comment was that dairy-free vegetarians and omnis will no longer be able to eat this product. They have added skim milk to it. Omnis with allergies and intolerances to dairy products do not consume skim milk.

I never mentioned eggs.

D
#19 Old 09-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Banned

#20 Old 09-09-2009, 03:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

Thanks for the info Beachbnny. I use part of what you said in an email I just sent to Morningstar:

Also, tonight I posted this info on Veganrepresent forum. On there, someone claimed that the name brand Health Is Wealth un-veganized their chicken and vegans bugged them until the went back to being vegan. So, there is some hope.

I'm glad you wrote them I try and write at least 2 companies each week about something, anything to try and get some change.

Why would a company de-veganize something? It just seems so odd. I guess I understand that desire to find a cheap binder and egg and milk fit that bill but really how many pennies per bag are they saving when at least 25% of their customer base stops buying them? It's just so stupid. I wish I could have sat in on that meeting.
#21 Old 09-09-2009, 03:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

I'm glad you wrote them I try and write at least 2 companies each week about something, anything to try and get some change.

Why would a company de-veganize something? It just seems so odd. I guess I understand that desire to find a cheap binder and egg and milk fit that bill but really how many pennies per bag are they saving when at least 25% of their customer base stops buying them? It's just so stupid. I wish I could have sat in on that meeting.

Where did you get the 25% number from?
#22 Old 09-09-2009, 04:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I thought they offered a veggie and vegan option .
#23 Old 09-09-2009, 05:05 AM
Banned

#24 Old 09-09-2009, 05:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Although I used to live on those burgers when I first went veg. , I haven't bought them in close to 2 years now .
#25 Old 09-09-2009, 05:47 AM
Banned

You could ues this as an opportunity to save yourself a pile of money by making your own faux ground beef using TVP. Its incredibly quick easy and cheap.

Just buy some tvp granules.

Add two cups of the dry granules to a small saucepan on low heat. Add 3 big tbsps of ketchup, 1 tbsp of soy sauce and a good tbsp dollop of Marmite or Vegemite. Then added 1 1/2 cups of water and stir (you can add a tsp of gravy browner if desired). bring to a simmer and in less than 5 minutes you have 1lb of fake ground beef to use just as you would the morningstar stuff you buy at 5x the price.
#26 Old 09-09-2009, 06:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You could ues this as an opportunity to save yourself a pile of money by making your own faux ground beef using TVP. Its incredibly quick easy and cheap.

Just buy some tvp granules.

Add two cups of the dry granules to a small saucepan on low heat. Add 3 big tbsps of ketchup, 1 tbsp of soy sauce and a good tbsp dollop of Marmite or Vegemite. Then added 1 1/2 cups of water and stir (you can add a tsp of gravy browner if desired). bring to a simmer and in less than 5 minutes you have 1lb of fake ground beef to use just as you would the morningstar stuff you buy at 5x the price.

This...
#27 Old 09-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey, I use Boca. They're vegan, they're good, end of story.

I've stopped trying to look at Morningstar's products for vegan-ness. It seems everything they have contains dairy and/or eggs. Boca makes a much better effort.
#28 Old 09-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

Boca's crumbles sales are going to go up with this change!

I really don't buy the meat substitutes more than once or twice a year because I just don't like the taste, but a dear friend made a vegan nacho casserole with the Boca crumbles and it was really good. Very nice of her and very yummy.

So if I do buy any, its not gonna be the Morningstar Farms. They will be losing a lot of customers over this change I think.

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

#29 Old 09-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Where did you get the 25% number from?

Just my personal, conservative estimate. I figure their customer base is mostly dividable into, vegans, vegetarians, omni's who want to be "green", and a miscellaneous category. So if they lose the vegans, that's 25% less of my imagined projection for their buying population.

See what I did there? lol
#30 Old 09-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the info. I always prefered the sausage-style Meal Starters from Morningstar and I checked and these still say they are vegan. I will be sure to check the ingredients each time I purchase because they might change this product next.

I eat everything that nature voluntarily gives: fruits, vegetables, and the products of plants. But I ask you to spare me what animals are forced to surrender: meat, milk, and cheese. ~Author Unknown

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page