Lobsters in Grocery Stores??? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't know they did that until I went to the Super Store (I live in Canada) and I saw a tank (not overly big) CRAMMED with about 75+ lobsters (and another with crabs) with their claws taped shut! I didn't get it. What? They sell them as pets? Why are they still alive? My mom then told me that that's how you cook lobster....alive...ALIVE!

You throw a LIVE lobster in BOILING WATER?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! How the HECK is that humane? I thought slaughterhouses were the worst we could get (besides murder) but now it's like "murder at your own house!"

I cannot believe that! I was floored and almost started crying right there. I wanted to take all the lobsters and crabs with me! HOW DO PEOPLE DO THAT?!

Sorry for ranting but I didn't know this happened?!

ÂBecause the heart beats under a covering of hair, of fur, feathers, or wings, it is, for that reason, to be of no account? - Jean Paul Richter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep, that's how you cook lobsters..It's freakin sad all around but I noticed my local grocery store does not do this anymore..
#3 Old 08-13-2009, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I was told some pretty nasty things about how to cook/prepare them too. Something about their bladder and their skin being peeled off BEFORE they go into the scalding water to burn alive?

Sounds like something they would do to....A CHICKEN!

People irritate me with their lack of feelings for other creatures.

ÂBecause the heart beats under a covering of hair, of fur, feathers, or wings, it is, for that reason, to be of no account? - Jean Paul Richter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Beginner

Its IS really horrible.

IF you put the lobsters into the boiling pot tail first I think they even let out like a high pitched scream or something... although they say its air escaping?!

No idea... but I think its terrible.. and really not necessary at all. My local sobeys' (im also in Canada) sells them fresh from the tank.. and every time I see it I fantasize about buying at least 1 and putting him into a home aquarium.
#5 Old 08-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
No idea... but I think its terrible.. and really not necessary at all. My local sobeys' (im also in Canada) sells them fresh from the tank.. and every time I see it I fantasize about buying at least 1 and putting him into a home aquarium.

My kids ask if we can rescue the ones in our store every time we go. They guy takes them out and lets them pet them...oye!
#6 Old 08-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Banned

yeah, several stores around here have lobsters in tanks and fish in tanks... all swimming about waiting for people to pick who is next for the slaughter.
#7 Old 08-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Veggie Regular

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#8 Old 08-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Beginner

#9 Old 08-14-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EphemeralPanda View Post

.. and every time I see it I fantasize about buying at least 1 and putting him into a home aquarium.

I know someone that did that. I guess it lived for a few days, but apparently the store he got it from breaks the spine of the lobsters right before they are sold.
#10 Old 08-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaskata View Post

I know someone that did that. I guess it lived for a few days, but apparently the store he got it from breaks the spine of the lobsters right before they are sold.

OMG! Why would they do that?
#11 Old 08-14-2009, 11:16 AM

Yeah, it's a really really sad situation for the lobsters (and crabs!). I have no idea how people can be so heartless.
#12 Old 08-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Try living where I live. Cape Cod... Chatham, specifically. We're a quaint little drinking village with a fishing problem... According to the bumper stickers, at least.

Never mind the supermarkets and fish piers and fish markets ALL over the place - people come to my door all the time with bags of live oysters, or live lobsters fresh from their boats with a smile and a "Thank your Dad for me, honey."

I just keep reminding myself I'm moving soon... And that being here to finish my degree was necessary... Blargh.

Maybe I'll go stalk famous people today to cheer myself. I hear Oprah is on Cape.
#13 Old 08-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

~Falls over laughing, rolls on the floor, gasps for air, fails, chokes, laughs even harder~~

That made my day

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#14 Old 08-14-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Try living where I live. Cape Cod... Chatham, specifically. We're a quaint little drinking village with a fishing problem... According to the bumper stickers, at least.

Never mind the supermarkets and fish piers and fish markets ALL over the place - people come to my door all the time with bags of live oysters, or live lobsters fresh from their boats with a smile and a "Thank your Dad for me, honey."

#15 Old 08-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

We have a SuperStore in my city too, and every time I pass by that lobster tank, I get so sad.
#16 Old 08-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#17 Old 08-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

Cooking lobsters has to be the most horrible way to kill an animal ever. I don't know if it is true, but I heard a long time ago that you have to cook them this way. If you don't then they are poisonous. Does anyone know if this is true?

No, I don't believe that's true. At least not technically true. I believe the MAIN reason a lot of shellfish are cooked alive is to assure they are fresh when they're eaten.

Because shellfish spoils VERY rapidly and can give you food poisoning if it's not super fresh. Not actual poisoning, but, yanno...

If their shells don't open up when they are steamed, you know they were dead when they went in the pot, and you don't want to eat that.

I think it's mostly a freshness thing.
#18 Old 08-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No, I don't believe that's true. At least not technically true. I believe the MAIN reason a lot of shellfish are cooked alive is to assure they are fresh when they're eaten.

Because shellfish spoils VERY rapidly and can give you food poisoning if it's not super fresh. Not actual poisoning, but, yanno...

If their shells don't open up when they are steamed, you know they were dead when they went in the pot, and you don't want to eat that.

I think it's mostly a freshness thing.

I've also heard there's also an enzyme that certain shellfish release when they're killed. That enzyme eventually makes the meat turn inedible mush that's harmful to eat so you have to either freeze it quickly after death, keep it very cold/on ice or cook it.

IMO, it's both a freshness thing and an enzyme control thing.
#19 Old 08-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

I've also heard there's also an enzyme that certain shellfish release when they're killed. That enzyme eventually makes the meat turn inedible mush that's harmful to eat so you have to either freeze it quickly after death, keep it very cold/on ice or cook it.

IMO, it's both a freshness thing and an enzyme control thing.

I've heard that too... Though I didn't think it was specific to shellfish. I thought it was basically all animals? I might be wrong, but I always thought that's why fish were gutted so quickly, and why we don't buy "whole" animals that haven't had their stomachs/guts removed. Shellfish people just happen to buy whole, so real enzymatic release and gross decomposition is a risk.

Maybe?

I'll have to ask my father. He was a lobsterman for years when he was younger.
#20 Old 08-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Thats why I don't shop at Walmart, Albertsons, or Ralph's. They all have live lobsters for sale at most of their stores. Luckily there are others I can shop at near me....like Vons and Stater Bros. Neither one carries live animals at any of their stores as far as I know.

I have called and complained at the other stores about their lobsters.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#21 Old 08-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I heard they cook them alive because they taste the best that way!

I was shocked! I feel so hillbilley-ish because I didn't know that they cooked lobster that way until now but seriously!!! I couldn't stop staring at them.....I felt so bad! People are so heartless....such messy, selfish jerks!

#22 Old 08-15-2009, 12:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I've heard that too... Though I didn't think it was specific to shellfish. I thought it was basically all animals? I might be wrong, but I always thought that's why fish were gutted so quickly, and why we don't buy "whole" animals that haven't had their stomachs/guts removed. Shellfish people just happen to buy whole, so real enzymatic release and gross decomposition is a risk.

Maybe?

I'll have to ask my father. He was a lobsterman for years when he was younger.

I thought fish were gutted and beheaded because Westerners can't stand to see them with heads/guts intact and because Westerners don't eat the heads/innards like other cultures do. But that comes from very limited trips to the Asian Markets where you can find loads of things you can't find anywhere else.

But I'd love to hear what the real reason is from an "insider" point of view so the myth can be busted (or confirmed) once and for all.
#23 Old 08-15-2009, 04:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessss2008 View Post

I cannot believe that! I was floored and almost started crying right there. I wanted to take all the lobsters and crabs with me! HOW DO PEOPLE DO THAT?!

That's totally understandable. It would break my heart to see that. Thankfully, i haven't seen any live lobsters for sale yet in the UK. At least they don't sell them where i shop.

It's disgusting
#24 Old 08-15-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

yeah, several stores around here have lobsters in tanks and fish in tanks... all swimming about waiting for people to pick who is next for the slaughter.

Totally Agree...My Fave Store Voluntarily Stopped and I was soooo happy about that.
#25 Old 08-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Veggie Regular

It's pretty terrible and whenever I see them in those tanks awaiting death... it freaks me out.

One thing that might console you is that they may not feel pain, the research seems to be split on whether or not lobsters (or crabs) can sense pain when boiled. Their nervous systems may not be able to sense it. Some scientists think that the trashing around is due to an escape instinct. Not that it makes it okay to kill animals and eat them just because they may not feel pain, it absolutely is not okay. Just thought I'd mentioned what I've read.
#26 Old 08-16-2009, 12:27 PM

When I was staying in Cape Cod about two years ago, we were in a supermarket and they had one lobster. I thought he was dead at first but then I saw him move a bit. I decided I was going to rescue him but had NO cash on me so I asked my mum and after two massive arguments and one reconciliation I went back and bought him. He started getting more lively the second he was out of the cooler thing, he was reeeally limp and weak though. So we took him straight down to the beach and I untied his claws. At first he barely moved but after being in the water for a while he became all strong again and quickly disappeared! I'm so glad I did it, $12 is nothing to save a life

I've attached some photos of him going back into the sea
LL
LL
LL
#27 Old 08-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizzI View Post

When I was staying in Cape Cod about two years ago, we were in a supermarket and they had one lobster. I thought he was dead at first but then I saw him move a bit. I decided I was going to rescue him but had NO cash on me so I asked my mum and after two massive arguments and one reconciliation I went back and bought him. He started getting more lively the second he was out of the cooler thing, he was reeeally limp and weak though. So we took him straight down to the beach and I untied his claws. At first he barely moved but after being in the water for a while he became all strong again and quickly disappeared! I'm so glad I did it, $12 is nothing to save a life

That's an awesome story
#28 Old 08-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

That's an awesome story

Yes! That is a great story! Thank you for the pictures, too!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#29 Old 08-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizzI View Post

*big hugs*

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#30 Old 08-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Beginner

thats so amazing eizzi! love the pics too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page