Therapy Chickens and PETA - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 06-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Huckleberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 703
This is really two stories: the first link is about a lady that brought some chickens into a nursing home to provide therapy. The next one is about PETA's call for chicken to be taken off that same nursing home's menu. I was deeply hurt by the comments in the second link.



http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2...al/znews01.txt



http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2...cal/news03.txt
Huckleberry is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 06-27-2009, 05:45 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular
 
Kiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,132
They are anonymous comments on some internet website. Why let them get to you? If PETA didn't pull mean-spirited little stunts like this they wouldn't cop flak.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Kiz is offline  
#3 Old 06-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Eleven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,908
I support this Peta action.
Eleven is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 06-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
I find it very sad that despite the help these chickens provide, people think it appropriate to force other birds like them endure a fate you wouldn't wish even for your worst enemy. The sense of entitlement to the animals' lives and flesh is so great that challenging that absurdly cruel practice and suggesting a change is seen as offensive.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post

I support this Peta action.

I do too.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#5 Old 06-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 717
Quote:
I support this Peta action.





Quote:
I do too.



Cosign X 2.
African_Prince is offline  
#6 Old 06-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
i dont have a problem with this either. if peta took more moderate action like this, they would achieve a lot more, a lot faster.



Quote:
The ones my grandmother had chased me all over the place, said another resident, Marsha Hunter, who became fond of Carlita. I know one thing, I'll never eat another Cornish game hen after today. Chicken, maybe, but not a Cornish game hen.



i guess im gonna have to give her a break cuz of her age i spoze
GhostUser is offline  
#7 Old 06-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular
 
havocjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,669
and once again PETA has done a better job of turning people away from veg#nism than coming closer.



That's how to get their hearts and minds go after a bunch of old folks in a retirement center and pick on grandmas, and grandpas.
havocjohn is offline  
#8 Old 06-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rissierissie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 423
What a generous offer!



It's funny that administrator of the home is acting like Armageddon has come down on her head because she's getting phone calls from the press about this. I don't understand why people think that PETA's being hateful or at all mean spirited with this, if anything this is one of the nicer things they've done in a while.



Quote:
Originally Posted by havocjohn View Post

That's how to get their hearts and minds go after a bunch of old folks in a retirement center and pick on grandmas, and grandpas.



PETA is saying "Hey, there's millions of chickens just like Alex and Carlita who are suffering horrible lives and deaths to become food. Would you consider removing chicken from your menu in light of the companionship you've found with your chickens? If you do we'll give you a free cruelty-free replacement food!"



How is that picking on anyone?
rissierissie is offline  
#9 Old 06-27-2009, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular
 
havocjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by rissierissie View Post

What a generous offer!



It's funny that administrator of the home is acting like Armageddon has come down on her head because she's getting phone calls from the press about this. I don't understand why people think that PETA's being hateful or at all mean spirited with this, if anything this is one of the nicer campaigns they've run in a while.



let's post your number on the web, I am sure you have nothing better to do all day than answer calls from people
havocjohn is offline  
#10 Old 06-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular
 
havocjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by rissierissie View Post

What a generous offer!



It's funny that administrator of the home is acting like Armageddon has come down on her head because she's getting phone calls from the press about this. I don't understand why people think that PETA's being hateful or at all mean spirited with this, if anything this is one of the nicer campaigns they've run in a while.







PETA is saying "Hey, there's millions of chickens just like Alex and Carlita who are suffering horrible lives and deaths to become food. Would you consider removing chicken from your menu in light of the companionship you've found with your chickens? If you do we'll give you a free cruelty-free replacement food!"



How is that picking on anyone?



if you don't understand then no amount of explaining from me is going to get you too understand, I am assuming you have a grand parent(s), have you convinced them to change their dietary habits yet?
havocjohn is offline  
#11 Old 06-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rissierissie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by havocjohn View Post

let's post your number on the web, I am sure you have nothing better to do all day than answer calls from people



I'm not the administrator of a nursing home that's participating in a new form of animal therapy.



Honestly if the media picked up on the story from just the chickens taking part of therapy and she was fielding calls about that do you really think she'd be complaining? I don't.
rissierissie is offline  
#12 Old 06-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular
 
havocjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by rissierissie View Post

I'm not the administrator of a nursing home that's participating in a new form of animal therapy.



Honestly if the media picked up on the story from just the chickens taking part of therapy and she was fielding calls about that do you really think she'd be complaining? I don't.

actually I do think she would be... and if you actually read what she said, she doesn't pick what these people eat they do.



What does you being an administrator of a nursing home or not have to do with anything, she has a job to do, and it is not sitting on the phone with newspapers/tv stations all day making a news story out of nothing.



So did you or did you not convince your grandparents to change their eating habits yet?
havocjohn is offline  
#13 Old 06-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rissierissie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by havocjohn View Post

if you don't understand then no amount of explaining from me is going to get you too understand, I am assuming you have a grand parent(s), have you convinced them to change their dietary habits yet?



Actually I have gotten my grandmother to incorporate veggie burgers and tofu into her diet. She also now drinks soy milk instead of cow's milk when she can. Just because some one's elderly doesn't mean they can't think and reason for themselves or make informed decisions based on information given to them.
rissierissie is offline  
#14 Old 06-27-2009, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular
 
havocjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by rissierissie View Post

Actually I have gotten my grandmother to incorporate veggie burgers and tofu into her diet. She also now drinks soy milk instead of cow's milk when she can. Just because some one's elderly doesn't mean they can't think and reason for themselves or make informed decisions based on information given to them.

I am not insinuating they can't, however, I bet it didn't happen over night nor does it sound like it's a full time thing for her.



However, knowing more than a few late 70-early 90 yr olds and their attitudes about certain things, I can tell you right now the majority of the old folks in that retirement home would tell PETA where to shove their fake chicken.
havocjohn is offline  
#15 Old 06-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rissierissie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by havocjohn View Post

I am not insinuating they can't, however, I bet it didn't happen over night nor does it sound like it's a full time thing for her.



However, knowing more than a few late 70-early 90 yr olds and their attitudes about certain things, I can tell you right now the majority of the old folks in that retirement home would tell PETA where to shove their fake chicken.



Right, and they're welcome to do so. PETA never attempted to force anyone to do anything. They offered a choice. If people choose not to take them up on it, that's their business, but it doesn't make PETA horrible or mean spirited for offering that choice. It's not like PETA gave them an ultimatum, they were offered a choice and some information that maybe they hadn't previously considered. Again, how is that mean?
rissierissie is offline  
#16 Old 06-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Veggie Regular
 
havocjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by rissierissie View Post

Right, and they're welcome to do so. PETA never attempted to force anyone to do anything. They offered a choice. If people choose not to take them up on it, that's their business, but it doesn't make PETA horrible or mean spirited for offering that choice. It's not like PETA gave them an ultimatum, they were offered a choice and some information that maybe they hadn't previously considered. Again, how is that mean?

by continuing to bother them about it and making it into more of a news story than it should have been.



it should have been a quick 3 minute feel good spot on therapy chickens, now it's PETA harrasses Retirement Home, like I said earlier, they continue to do a great job of driving people away from veg#nism.
havocjohn is offline  
#17 Old 06-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular
 
Kiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,132
If they'd sent local volunteers to all or as many nursing homes as they could, offering delicious, home-cooked vegetarian food, maybe I'd be with them. Seeing a retirement home that is actually doing something nice and decent and then attacking them simply because they got on TV seems a bit rough. There are a tonne of horrible, dodgy nursing homes - why not attack one of them instead of what appears to be one of the more decent homes. If they want to help the old, retired, lonely and infirm I'd have some respect but this is really just attacking one small group of oldies simply because they can. What's up with that? Seriously, this does drive people away from vegetarianism. Guess that doesn't matter so much as the organisers of the harassment more media time. Again. And in this day and age the media is more important than the message, right?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Kiz is offline  
#18 Old 06-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rissierissie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by havocjohn View Post

by continuing to bother them about it and making it into more of a news story than it should have been.



it should have been a quick 3 minute feel good spot on therapy chickens, now it's PETA harrasses Retirement Home, like I said earlier, they continue to do a great job of driving people away from veg#nism.



Hmm, we seem to have read different things into the second article. From what I understood it's the press that's harassing with the barrage of phone calls, not PETA.
rissierissie is offline  
#19 Old 06-28-2009, 12:24 AM
Veggie Regular
 
havocjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by rissierissie View Post

Hmm, we seem to have read different things into the second article. From what I understood it's the press that's harassing with the barrage of phone calls, not PETA.

Peta contacted them directly at least twice that I can tell from the story, PETA has also released press releases about this story.



Though PETA is not making the calls directly they are pushing the buttons that get the idiots jumping.
havocjohn is offline  
#20 Old 06-28-2009, 06:41 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by havocjohn View Post

and once again PETA has done a better job of turning people away from veg#nism than coming closer.

You are one of the people who has an especially valuable perspective on this matter.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#21 Old 06-28-2009, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular
 
major.walrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 625
PETA aside, I do feel the conclusion of the articles was ultimately positive. The events that unfolded didn't stop the therapy chickens from being allowed back and into other places. One of the quotes from the old people did show that they were thinking about what these chickens meant. And if this kind of thing becomes accepted and then more widespread, then this is the start of a good thing!
major.walrus is offline  
#22 Old 06-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Huckleberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

They are anonymous comments on some internet website. Why let them get to you? If PETA didn't pull mean-spirited little stunts like this they wouldn't cop flak.



Because most of the time I can just shrug that attitude off but sometimes it feels like the world really is that nasty and hurtful.
Huckleberry is offline  
#23 Old 06-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular
 
Kiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post

Because most of the time I can just shrug that attitude off but sometimes it feels like the world really is that nasty and hurtful.



Fair enough, but one of the dangers of putting yourself (or PETA) out there in the public eye, making comments, generally means you'll get comments right back. While this is not one of PETA's worst actions by any means whoever did it surely knew that, over all, it would not get a positive reception and thus garner more media time.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Kiz is offline  
#24 Old 06-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Newbie
 
Philosoraptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 66
First of all, therapy chickens = brilliant idea. Mine just offered me a good hour of therapy, they're truly such amazing, smart, wonderful loving creatures. And oh so cudleable! I can only imagine how much they would love the attention a bunch of old folks would give them, mine would eat it up! (no pun intended)



Why not instead of fighting the retirement home try and work with them to create a menu that offers more veg options? Even if many of the residents DID elect to refrain from eating animal products, not everyone would, at any rate it is THEIR choice- not the administrator's, their children's, PETA's, or ours. These people have already been deprived of so many freedoms and are able to make so few choices on their own. As Evelyn Beatrice Hall once wrote, "I disagree with what you have to say but I will defend, to the death, your right to say it." I don't agree with people who choose to eat meat, but it's their choice to make, as not eating meat is mine.
Philosoraptor is offline  
#25 Old 06-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Irizary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,743
Quote:
I don't agree with people who choose to eat meat, but it's their choice to make, as not eating meat is mine.



Now if only the chickens had the choice not to be tortured and killed because some uncaring or unconscious person decides they like the taste of chicken flesh too much to give it up. THAT'S deprivation of choice.



You get to be an old person in a retirement home who's confronted with the reality of chickens' lives...and the OPPORTUNITY to make a kinder choice. Or you get to be a chicken on a factory farm who lives from birth to death misery, never seeing the light of day until slaughter. You choose.



The speciesism I see reflected in a lot of comments is shameful. It's not "mean spirited" of Peta to bring this issue to light. If anything it's mean spirited not to. Hope that you're never as powerless as those chickens with no defenders.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

 

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Irizary is offline  
#26 Old 06-29-2009, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosoraptor View Post

As Evelyn Beatrice Hall once wrote, "I disagree with what you have to say but I will defend, to the death, your right to say it." I don't agree with people who choose to eat meat, but it's their choice to make, as not eating meat is mine.

It's quite revealing that the quote you use speaks of respecting different views, the right to say something, and yet you are applying it to actions, and in specific to actions that deprive the non-human others of not only freedom, which you claim to value so highly, but also the very precondition of all possible freedom: their lives. Is it that non-humans have so little moral value that to kill them isn't even a real act with a real victim, but rather a mere view or belief?



I would think and hope that when we become (ethical) veg*ns, we realize that the detachment we've all been taught between our "dietary choices" on the one hand and their tragic consequences on the other is seriously mistaken. But the number of people who speak of meat-eating (or other consumption of animals) as if it existed in some abstract sphere of different dietary beliefs completely isolated from the (factory) farm and the slaughterhouse makes me think that maybe I'm being too optimistic.



Such dietary "beliefs" are indeed defended to the death -- to the death of the non-humans.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off