PETA Says No More Fly-Killing, Sends Obama a Humane Fly Catcher - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Veggie Regular

PETA has a few words for President Obama: Brush, dont kill.

After the President very publically swatted and then killed a fly during an interview with CNBC yesterday, the outspoken animal rights group PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) said they wished Obama had served a better example.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...-catcher-.html

This is why they scare me.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-17-2009, 11:10 PM

lol, this is great.

I'm not big on killing insects either, but I've been known to swat a couple flies and smoosh a few ants.
#3 Old 06-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Had he killed a pitbull, though, they'd have applauded him.

Sorry, couldn't resist. What a bunch of nuts. I can't believe I used to be a member.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-17-2009, 11:50 PM
Veggie Regular

When people post PETA stories, it's so easy to go to the source to check them out - after all, they operate on-line. Here's what they say:

Quote:
Believe it or not, we've actually been contacted by multiple media outlets wanting to know PETA's official response to the executive insect execution.

In a nutshell, our position is this
: He isn't the Buddha, he's a human being, and human beings have a long way to go before they think before they act.

If all this has you wondering how you can be a bigger person (figuratively, as well as literally) in your dealings with exoskeletal beings, check out our handy-dandy bug catcherone of which we are sending to President Obama for future insect incidents.

http://blog.peta.org/archives/2009/0..._and_the_f.php

I understand they didn't contact Obama or the press after the incident (which is how the posted story makes it sound), they were contacted, then followed up on it. While I think it's not tactical for them to focus on insects, if I were questioned I'd say the same thing. I'm not a big fan of killing when you can easily remove, I don't think killing should be taken lightly, nor is it a good example to set in general - it's better to be thoughtful about taking a life.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#5 Old 06-18-2009, 05:26 AM

Words have never been spoken more true.

Life is tossed around so easily these days.

Euthinization is becoming more popular.. animals, death penalty, physically impaired..

Suicide is at an all-time high.

It's just kind of sickening to me that life, which is all you truely have, can be thrown away so easily.
#6 Old 06-18-2009, 05:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it's not only unnecessary but weird to swat a random fly. Even from a purely aesthetic perspective, I would much rather see a flying insect than the black icky mess that is left when someone swats one

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#7 Old 06-18-2009, 05:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I have mixed feelings about killing flies. I have horses, so the little guys are everywhere- outside and in. I'm okay with one or two flies buzzing around the house, but when it gets to be ten or more, that's when I take out the fly swatter. I don't relish killing them and I always feel bad about doing it, but killing them is almost a necessity.

Although I prefer and try to avoid killing insects if I can, I think it is a little silly to nag on Obama for swatting a fly.
#8 Old 06-18-2009, 06:03 AM

I believe the guy up there said that they weren't NAGGING Obama about swatting the fly, just giving him a more humane way of approaching the situation next time.
#9 Old 06-18-2009, 06:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

When people post PETA stories, it's so easy to go to the source to check them out - after all, they operate on-line. Here's what they say:

http://blog.peta.org/archives/2009/0..._and_the_f.php

I understand they didn't contact Obama or the press after the incident (which is how the posted story makes it sound), they were contacted, then followed up on it. While I think it's not tactical for them to focus on insects, if I were questioned I'd say the same thing. I'm not a big fan of killing when you can easily remove, I don't think killing should be taken lightly, nor is it a good example to set in general - it's better to be thoughtful about taking a life.

Thank you Irazary for posting that. I have been hearing about it on the radio, 3 different stations, and of course they are talking about how ridiculous PETA is and how they are going to kill bugs all morning . It's nice to see that PETA really wasn't being ridiculous about it - the media wanted a story.
#10 Old 06-18-2009, 07:21 AM
Beginner

When flys enter my space I try to get them to leave. When that fails, then I have no qualms about killing the fly.

What a lot of people don't say is that fly was around a while; not just when the camera was rolling. I dare say most of us by that time would have done the same thing.

The press knows PETA can be quite extreme and like another poster said, they went to them to get a reaction they knew they would get.

Ahh, another benefit of the 24 hour news channels. Making stories out of nothing.
#11 Old 06-18-2009, 07:25 AM

I also love how everyone is outraged at PETA over this.

PETA is by no means perfect, but this time they really didn't do anything wrong.

They peacefully sent him an anti-killing fly trap.

It's really sad, but a vast majority of the public are completely ignorant these days. =/

It makes me cry on the inside.
#12 Old 06-18-2009, 07:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKodaa View Post

I believe the guy up there said that they weren't NAGGING Obama about swatting the fly, just giving him a more humane way of approaching the situation next time.

I don't agree with all of PETA's tactics but I approve of this. Unlike some vegans, PETA is being consistent. Insects are animals, they possess a nervous system, we have every reason to believe that they are conscious, feeling beings, just like humans and other vertebrates are. The fact that they are as small as they are and as different from us as they are doesn't make that some abstract "technicality". There is no logical reason to consider the life of an insect as being less valuable than the life of a dog or a cat. They were just offering the man some advise and they were kind enough to send him a free, humane fly swatter, what on Earth is wrong with this?

Quote:
Had he killed a pitbull, though, they'd have applauded him.

My understanding is that PETA supports a ban on breeding pitbulls and not actually going out and killing the pitbulls that already exist. This is consistent with the abolitionist principle that humans have no right to breed sentient non-humans for companionship, food, scientific experiments etc. They aren't singling pitbulls out because they dislike them, I'm sure they would support any ban on breeding cats, golden retrievers, cocker spaniels etc.
#13 Old 06-18-2009, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBuck View Post

I dare say most of us by that time would have done the same thing.

Why? Why is a black, icky mess better than a flying insect? I just don't get it. I get it when it's an insect that sucks your blood or which you have a phobia about, but a fly, I just don't get it.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#14 Old 06-18-2009, 07:38 AM

In this case I think the answer is clear; Obama was afraid that his reptilian instincts would over come his training and his tongue would fly out, to get the fly, on national television.

#15 Old 06-18-2009, 07:39 AM

It's an annoyance.

When something is continually buzzing in your ear or bumping against your face or walking around on your leg.

I get it, but the flytrap thing seems a lot more awesome.
#16 Old 06-18-2009, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Come on, as PETA said, he's not the Buddha, he's a human being.

Besides, he's not even veg*an, is he? It's not like he's being inconsistient.

Of course, i'm the first one to stop people killing a bug and take it out to the garden. I can't stand the sight of people killing bugs. But the whole situation has been blown a bit out of proportion.
#17 Old 06-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Banned

I have a hummingbird feeder, so with all those hummingbirds flying around my house flies don't stand much of a chance. It's a virtual no-fly zone-try it.
#18 Old 06-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Pet lizards help.
#19 Old 06-18-2009, 08:30 AM

Yeah I have to stop people from killing bugs all the time.

At the end of this last school year in Algebra we had a cricket. Everybody was freaking out and people were about to stomp on him.

I freaked out and was like, "WTF ARE YOU DOING!"

The cricket wasn't doing anything, I'm sure it was just quite lost.

Anywho, I took him downstairs and deposited him safely on the grass. Although I did have to throw him to stop myself from being locked outside the school.. he survived though! I saw him move.
#20 Old 06-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry Irizary. I should have checked my sources better. My HS research teacher is gonna be pissed at me lol!

I'll do better in the future. Primary Sources rock!

Can I that one the fact I had been up 20 hours? (Was worth a try...)
#21 Old 06-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKodaa View Post

I think it is silly to say anything at all, let alone send the fly trap.
#22 Old 06-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmando View Post

I have a hummingbird feeder, so with all those hummingbirds flying around my house flies don't stand much of a chance. It's a virtual no-fly zone-try it.

Hummingbirds keep flies away? I'm gonna try that!
#23 Old 06-18-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

I think it is silly to say anything at all, let alone send the fly trap.

Why is it silly?

A fly is still a life form is it not?

Do you think it's silly to stop people from beating seals with bats?

It's the same thing really, a flies just lower on the foodchain.
#24 Old 06-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by African_Prince View Post

My understanding is that PETA supports a ban on breeding pitbulls and not actually going out and killing the pitbulls that already exist.

They don't want pitbulls/mixes, like the one sleeping on my couch right now, to be available at shelters. They want any pibble in a shelter to be euthanized. They also spent supporters' money in court trying to get the Vick dogs killed, even though rescues had said they'd take them. And Ingrid Newkirk does dislike them, ever since she was bitten by one years ago. She probably asked for it.
#25 Old 06-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

They don't want pitbulls/mixes, like the one sleeping on my couch right now, to be available at shelters. They want any pibble in a shelter to be euthanized.

their stance:

http://www.peta.org/about/hottopic007.asp

In reality, the vast majority who make it to shelters will die there anyway. But I think it would be better to give the ones who make it there a chance and do spay/neuter if someone decent will adopt them before being put down. I think they are not incorrect, however, in their assertion that while there are some wonderful guardians of pit bulls, most who choose them are not wonderful to their dogs. Generally, PETA is against suffering (hence being against warehousing of dogs), moreso than death.

Quote:
it is important to bear in mind that nice families rarely come to a shelter seeking pit bulls. The vast majority of people who want pit bulls are attracted to the “macho” image of the breed as a living weapon and seek to play up this image by putting the animals in heavy chains; kicking, beating, and otherwise abusing them into aggression; and leaving them outside in all weather extremes in order to “toughen” them up. When shelters are destroying dogs by the millions, why breed pit bulls―or any dogs, for that matter?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#26 Old 06-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
We also support pit bull bans, as long as they include a grandfather clause allowing all living dogs who are already in good homes and well cared for to live the remainder of their lives safely and peacefully.

Translation: Death for any pitbull currently in a shelter, should PeTA have their way.

And there was no excuse for trying to get the Vick dogs killed. None.
#27 Old 06-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Translation: Death for any pitbull currently in a shelter, should PeTA have their way.

Where did it need a translation? Regardless, it's death for, I don't know, 95% (more?) of the pitbulls in shelters right now?

Quote:
East Bay SPCA spokeswoman Kirsten Park said she believes 75 percent of adoptable dogs killed in shelters across the county are pit bulls.

At the Oakland animal shelter 3,000 dogs were euthanized last year, more than 1,000 of them pit bull mixes, according to shelter officials.

That's 75% of all the dogs in shelters, not all the pitbulls in shelters.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n15833118/

Quote:
And there was no excuse for trying to get the Vick dogs killed. None.

I don't agree with it. But I understand they have a rationale that for them was about compassion for those brutalized animals.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#28 Old 06-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

But I understand they have a rationale that for them was about compassion for those brutalized animals.

I wouldn't assume their motivation was malevolent either, but I think their compassion in this case was too much the kind of compassion that is filtered by the speciesist emphasis on quality of life vs. life for non-humans. I call it speciesist because people don't have a similar approach to the q.o.l vs. life of humans.

As I've argued in threads about euthanasia, I think there are two extremes in relation to the balance between (value of) life and (value of) quality of life. PETA's views on Vick's dogs were too close to the other extreme.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#29 Old 06-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I wouldn't assume their motivation was malevolent either, but I think their compassion in this case was too much the kind of compassion that is filtered by the speciesist emphasis on quality of life vs. life for non-humans. I call it speciesist because people don't have a similar approach to the q.o.l vs. life of humans.

As I've argued in threads about euthanasia, I think there are two extremes in relation to the balance between (value of) life and (value of) quality of life. PETA's views on Vick's dogs were too close to the other extreme.

I agree with you SS, and I don't prefer their stance - which is to prefer the more extreme of "quality of life." I think for them they see it as the compassionate choice. I don't need to agree with the rationale to understand it. I think rescuing "undesirable" animals in this culture (feral cats, pit bulls...) is not simple, and the animals often suffer terribly (and it generally doesn't end well for them), and to conflate PETA with nazis or whatever evilness they get compared to is disingenuous. It's enough to disagree with them without demonizing them and their motivations. Or at least just make the attempt to understand the motivation and argue based on that.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#30 Old 06-19-2009, 12:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

In this case I think the answer is clear; Obama was afraid that his reptilian instincts would over come his training and his tongue would fly out, to get the fly, on national television.

From Wikipedia:

"Reptilian humanoids

In 1999, Icke wrote and published The Biggest Secret: The Book that Will Change the World, in which he identified the extraterrestrial prison warders as reptilians from the constellation Draco.They walk erect and appear to be human, living not only on the planets they come from, but also in caverns and tunnels under the earth. They have cross-bred with humans, which has created "hybrids" who are "possessed" by the full-blooded reptilians. The reptiles' hybrid reptilian-human DNA allows them to change from reptilian to human form if they consume human blood. Icke has drawn parallels with the 1980s science-fiction series V, in which the earth is taken over by reptiloid aliens disguised as humans.

According to Icke, the reptilian group includes many prominent people and practically every world leader from Britain's late Queen Mother to George H.W. Bush, Hillary Clinton, Harold Wilson, and Tony Blair. These people are either themselves reptilian, or work for the reptiles as what Icke calls slave-like victims of multiple personality disorder: "The Rothschilds, Rockefellers, the British royal family, and the ruling political and economic families of the U.S. and the rest of the world come from these SAME bloodlines. It is not because of snobbery, it is to hold as best they can a genetic structure the reptilian-mammalian DNA combination which allows them to 'shape-shift'."

In Tales From The Time Loop and other works, Icke states that most organised religions, especially Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, are Illuminati creations designed to divide and conquer the human race through endless conflicts. In a similar vein, Icke believes racial and ethnic divisions are an illusion promoted by the reptilians, and that racism fuels the Illuminati agenda."

So Obamas one of them too? lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page