PETA volunteers shower on sidewalk in protest - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I found this amusing:

Women Claim 1 Pound Of Meat Equals 6 Months Of Showers

http://www.wesh.com/news/19580067/detail.html

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Huh...I'm not sure exactly how I'm supposed to feel about that.

Then again, I've learned never to talk about PETA with others, because things get very nasty. :x

Volke: You there, in the bushes. You have until the count of five to show yourself before I start throwing sharp objects. One... two... four...
#3 Old 05-28-2009, 03:45 AM
Veggie Regular

typical PETA media whoring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-28-2009, 04:33 AM
Banned

Two girls take a shower in public and the whole world takes a minute to talk about the impact of meat on the environment. Brilliant.
#5 Old 05-28-2009, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
who were wearing flesh-colored undergarments

Otherwise, it's

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnesshero View Post

typical PETA media whoring

and

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Two girls take a shower in public and the whole world takes a minute to talk about the impact of meat on the environment. Brilliant.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#6 Old 05-28-2009, 04:47 AM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#7 Old 05-28-2009, 07:05 AM

I think it is good that PETA media whores like this, you never know how many people turned vegetarian after seeing this protest/reading about it online. Every little bit of media exposure helps.
#8 Old 05-28-2009, 08:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOver View Post

I think it is good that PETA media whores like this, you never know how many people turned vegetarian after seeing this protest/reading about it online. Every little bit of media exposure helps.

Yes, seeing two women shower together certainly makes me think about my dietary choices.
#9 Old 05-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I support the action and though I wish one of the showerers had said vegan instead of vegetarian, I think the message offered is a positive one.

"It's impossible to 'go green' without going vegetarian," PETA beauty Amanda Fortino said in the news release. "Just by changing their diets, concerned people can help protect the Earth, their own health, and countless animals."
#10 Old 05-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Just what we need. Another PETA thread. I do agree with the quote in the article though.
#11 Old 05-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmando View Post

Yes, seeing two women shower together certainly makes me think about my dietary choices.

It is getting media exposure so every little bit helps. How would you go about getting information out that's better than the way PETA does?
#12 Old 05-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

Next up: PeTA's Girls Gone Wild on DVD.

Probably would sell though.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#13 Old 05-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

It is getting media exposure so every little bit helps. How would you go about getting information out that's better than the way PETA does?

Easy. I would take a shower out in public and people would never want to see meat again.
#14 Old 05-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Wait. The whole world? I must've been asleep again.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#15 Old 05-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You thought about meat and the environment?

I thought about nude women.

I prefer my train of thought.
#16 Old 05-28-2009, 10:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Otherwise, it's

and

ROFL if you think that anyone who see's two young ladies showering togeather on the steet even considered the message that meat is wrong after then you are deluded. Most guys who saw it more than likely thought wow thats hot then made off color comments on how they would like to feed them some meat. And most woman were probably offended.

PETA cant seem to get it ito their thick skulls that sex has nothing to do with animal rights.
#17 Old 05-29-2009, 12:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

You thought about meat and the environment?

I thought about nude women.

You must be the world's last honest man.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#18 Old 05-29-2009, 01:09 AM
Veggie Regular

And honesty has gotten me... *looks around* a codependant neutered female cat. Literally. She's on the desk right now, about two inches away from my wrist.
#19 Old 05-29-2009, 01:39 AM
Beginner

LOL. Hmmmmm not really sure that's the best way to get their point across! I do agree though that any media exposure counts.
#20 Old 05-29-2009, 02:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

And honesty has gotten me... *looks around* a codependant neutered female cat. Literally. She's on the desk right now, about two inches away from my wrist.

Awwww! Give her a rub for me.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#21 Old 05-29-2009, 06:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnesshero View Post

ROFL if you think that anyone who see's two young ladies showering togeather on the steet even considered the message that meat is wrong after then you are deluded.

It did get media exposure so it's not just the people there whom they are aiming for. Some people still do read articles today. Would you have a better idea?
#22 Old 05-29-2009, 06:56 AM
Veggie Regular

These two people by "showering" on the streets did more than I assume a lot of people on this thread did for AR/AW this week.
#23 Old 05-29-2009, 08:45 AM
SPJ
Beginner

Quote:

Easy. I would take a shower out in public and people would never want to see meat again.

Hah, hillarious dude.
#24 Old 05-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I would take a shower out in public and people would never want to see meat again.

Well... I might. Ya big stud.
#25 Old 05-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

*is patiently waiting for a PETA protest where people wear clothes (normal clothes, not KKK robes)*

Or, maybe even just, include a naked guy once and awhile? There's a way to be shocking and edgy without being sexist. I have seen only one ad with a naked dude, and it was one of the dudes from Jackass. They're always naked anyway, and the pose wasn't seductive...it was active and quirky. Or perhaps a person of color? PETA seems to have the same standards of "beauty" and "sex appeal" as Playboy magazine.
#26 Old 05-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Beginner

I drove by this and started laughing quite hard. More PETA helping the mainstream marginalize vegetarians and vegans. Thanks, PETA, for helping do more damage.
#27 Old 05-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

If a pound of meat is worth six months of showers, that might explain why some people I know seem perpetually so unwashed. They can't give up meat and felt obligated to do their part somehow.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#28 Old 05-29-2009, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Given the extreme obsession with every move PETA makes (witnessed here by people who claim to hate them but can't.stop.talking.about.them and are so fascinated by not only each thing PETA says or does but what they perceive anyone else saying about what PETA says or does)...I think when you have that level of undeniable obsessional thinking about PETA, some people are going to find their way to the website where they'll see Meet Your Meat or other videos, and some are going to think, "hmm...why are these people doing this?" and question the cause for themselves. In fact I know a well-known activist who started out thinking PETA were crazy, went to their website, looked around, and changed. PETA got his attention through one of their silly stunts.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#29 Old 05-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

*is patiently waiting for a PETA protest where people wear clothes... PETA seems to have the same standards of "beauty" and "sex appeal" as Playboy magazine.

I think you're not really aware of the other outreach they do. You only pay attention when it's flashy, which kind of proves the point that regular protests don't get the press or people searching them out in order to post on message boards ("Guess what! PETA leafleted outside of a KFC wearing normal clothes!!!").

And why can't Tyra promote a standard of beauty other than anorexic teen on her show?...but for whatever reason you say that you like to see that. Similarly, I think sometimes PETA hooks into things that people are fascinated by, to get them to pay attention to something about animals.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#30 Old 05-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

These two people by "showering" on the streets did more than I assume a lot of people on this thread did for AR/AW this week.

I COMPLETELY AGREE!

Honestly, I don't care how it is done as long as people are actively seeking AR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page