Kucinich News: "Food for thought: Can a vegan win?" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 11-13-2003, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular
 
epski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 12,374
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ucinich12.html



Quote:
Food for thought: Can a vegan win?



By Mark Leibovich

The Washington Post



WASHINGTON Dennis Kucinich is hungry for the nation's biggest job and a plate of kidney beans.



At the moment, the kidney beans are more realistic. He walks into his favorite Capitol Hill restaurant Taverna the Greek Islands and orders the beans. They arrive in a few minutes, along with Kucinich's usual plate of hummus with whole wheat pita bread, sliced zucchini sautéed in olive oil, a tomato and onion relish, a Greek salad without feta cheese and a pot of boiling water with lemon wedges.



This is comfort food for the long-shot Democratic presidential candidate from Ohio. He has spent a long day of campaigning in New Hampshire followed by a flurry of votes in Congress. He is, in all likelihood, the first major party vegan to run for president. He ingests no beef, poultry, fish, dairy or other animal products.



Exact definitions vary, but by contrast, vegetarians avoid meats but not all animal products, such as eggs.



Kucinich also eschews processed foods, caffeine, alcohol and tobacco.



Does he indulge any vices? "Yes," he says, "I'm a member of Congress."



Not for long, if all goes according to Kucinich's plan. He envisions waking up in the White House on Jan. 21, 2005, and sitting down to a presidential breakfast of oat groats sprinkled with walnuts, bananas, coconut and raisins, a bowl of miso soup, whole wheat toast and a plate of fresh vegetables.



Is red-meat America ready for a vegan president? Or, more to the point, is red-meat America ready to elect a vegan president who is Dennis Kucinich, 57, a figure whose long-shot status in the presidential race is a result of many factors besides his diet. He is little-known nationally, barely shows up in polls and his signature political experience mayor of Cleveland in the 1970s landed the city in financial ruin.



He doesn't bring up the subject of his diet, and voters never ask him about it. But reporters do, quite a bit.



"Journalists, probably as an occupational hazard, have the worst diets," Kucinich says. "So I think that their special interest in my diet comes from some desire they have to eat better. And whenever I'm asked about my diet, compassion requires me to sit down and talk about it."



As the plates are cleared, Kucinich goes off-vegan and on-message: He reiterates his opposition to the war in Iraq, his commitment to universal health care and his prediction that the race for the Democratic nomination will not be settled until the convention.



He wipes away a smudge of hummus and concludes his testimony on self, country and diet with a question:



"Is this story running in the food section?"



Copyright © 2003 The Seattle Times Company

epski is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 11-13-2003, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Oatmeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,778
Quote:
Does he indulge any vices? "Yes," he says, "I'm a member of Congress."



I love that!
Oatmeal is offline  
#3 Old 11-13-2003, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular
 
mountainvegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,283
"major party vegan" woo hoo - let's party!



*clears throat* *gets serious*



This is good publicity for veganism, regardless of whether he wins anything.
mountainvegan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 11-13-2003, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular
 
SunnyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,081
I heard part of an interview with him on NPR yesterday. I liked almost all of what he said. Some of it was a bit in-the-clouds (not as regards my own ideals, but in my assessment of the real world). But he was certainly intelligent and well-spoken. Liked him.
SunnyK is offline  
#5 Old 11-13-2003, 09:52 PM
Veggie Regular
 
epski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 12,374
Yeah, I went to the NPR site and listened to the interview today. I'm all for in-the-clouds. In fact, why settle for own atmosphere, when we should be reaching for the stars?
epski is offline  
#6 Old 11-14-2003, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular
 
SunnyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

Yeah, I went to the NPR site and listened to the interview today. I'm all for in-the-clouds. In fact, why settle for own atmosphere, when we should be reaching for the stars?



Quite so. And he made the case for being a dreamer quite well, when asked about it.
SunnyK is offline  
#7 Old 11-14-2003, 10:45 AM
Newbie
 
coffeeshopgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 49
Holy sh*t! I didn't know that he was vegan! I wonder if this will influence anyone's vote...



<3
coffeeshopgirl is offline  
#8 Old 11-14-2003, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular
 
epski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 12,374
It influenced my vote. I was a Dean supporter until I found out about Kucinich. I liked him and everything, but didn't know if he was the real deal until I discovered he was vegan, then I knew he had to be telling the truth. (take the next bit a little tongue-in-cheek, if you will)



He is The One. He has seen The Meatrix. He will deliver us.
epski is offline  
#9 Old 11-14-2003, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 7,866
I like him a lot too! He'll get my primaries vote, and when he loses to Dean (my second choice) he'll get it.



And if Dean loses then who ever gets it will get my vote.



And if that person loses then whoever is next, they'll get my vote. And then...



Walter is offline  
#10 Old 11-14-2003, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular
 
SunnyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,081
It would influence my vote, certainly -- if he were nominated, that is. I don't advocate one-issue voting, of course, but it's a very powerful point in my overall assessment of him.
SunnyK is offline  
#11 Old 11-17-2003, 09:15 PM
Newbie
 
coffeeshopgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 49
The more and more I think about it I support Kusinich and his ideas. Universal health care, more organic food produce, bring the troops home, etc... I bet he wear Birks and washes with Dr. Bronners! But unfortunitly I found out today that he has only around 1% chance of winning.







<3
coffeeshopgirl is offline  
#12 Old 11-17-2003, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular
 
epski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 12,374
I'm sure that number wouldn't be so low if there weren't so many people announcing that as if it were fact. By continuing to perpetuate Kucinich's lousy chances as if they were insurmountable fact, they are attempting to perpetuate a forgone conclusion.



I can't express how angry that makes me. Politics is always hijacked by those that are concerned with winning at all costs.
epski is offline  
#13 Old 11-18-2003, 12:10 AM
Banned
 
Tame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 13,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeshopgirl View Post

I found out today that he has only around 1% chance of winning.



I would say 1% is being optimistic.
Tame is offline  
#14 Old 11-18-2003, 12:12 AM
Banned
 
Tame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 13,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

I'm sure that number wouldn't be so low if there weren't so many people announcing that as if it were fact. By continuing to perpetuate Kucinich's lousy chances as if they were insurmountable fact, they are attempting to perpetuate a forgone conclusion.





I disagree. His chances are low because his beliefs and most of his positions are well outside of the mainstream. In the national election, you can count on each party getting their core 30% support. The fight is over the other 40% that can go either way, and most of these voters are like typical Americans - fairly moderate with slight tendencies one way or the other.
Tame is offline  
#15 Old 11-18-2003, 03:10 AM
Veggie Regular
 
epski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 12,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

I disagree. His chances are low because his beliefs and most of his positions are well outside of the mainstream. In the national election, you can count on each party getting their core 30% support. The fight is over the other 40% that can go either way, and most of these voters are like typical Americans - fairly moderate with slight tendencies one way or the other.



Sure. I didn't mean to imply he had a chance to actually become president. And, actually, looking at the statement of "1% chance of winning" as 1 in 100, that really is optimistic, so...



What I really was venting about was something different ultimately, that of forgone conclusions, faits accompli, etc.
epski is offline  
#16 Old 11-19-2003, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular
 
SunnyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

I'm sure that number wouldn't be so low if there weren't so many people announcing that as if it were fact.



There's no overestimating the power of the media and the importance of scoring the right kind of publicity. There are certainly some truly informed voters out there, but most of us get the bulk of our information from whatever Time decides is the sexiest story of the week.



I can't claim to be in the "truly informed" camp, sadly; I just try to read between the lines in Newsweek, etc.
SunnyK is offline  
#17 Old 11-20-2003, 08:48 PM
Newbie
 
coffeeshopgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 49
I was at a liberal cafe near my town the other day and it had red, white, and blue balloons on the door. Someone asked why they were up and a worker simply replied "Kucinich fundraiser."

I'm begining to believe that if Kucinich became the preisdent of America, we'd eventually reach an utopian society. Think about it while in the mean time visit www.Kucinish.us



<3
coffeeshopgirl is offline  
#18 Old 11-20-2003, 08:57 PM
Banned
 
Tame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 13,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeshopgirl View Post

I'm begining to believe that if Kucinich became the preisdent of America, we'd eventually reach an utopian society.



<3



Honestly, I would rather have a red hot poker rammed up my ass than live in a nation where the majority had much in common with Kuntitch.
Tame is offline  
#19 Old 11-20-2003, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular
 
majake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,804
I vote for the red hot poker
majake is offline  
#20 Old 11-21-2003, 12:32 AM
Banned
 
stonecrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by majake View Post

I vote for the red hot poker



can't we have both? i vote for kucinich for president as well as the red hot poker!
stonecrest is offline  
#21 Old 11-21-2003, 02:29 PM
Newbie
 
coffeeshopgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 49
why? why and why? i'd rather have organic foods rather than mcdonalds and universal health care then a child dieing because they can't afford a doctor. wouldn't you, aye ?
coffeeshopgirl is offline  
#22 Old 11-21-2003, 06:07 PM
Newbie
 
alyssa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 53
My birthday is Nov 8, 1986. I think I will be able to vote. Hopefully. I am so for Kucinich. It would be so cool if he made it to the final thingabobber and I could say I voted for him. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
alyssa is offline  
#23 Old 11-21-2003, 06:36 PM
Banned
 
Tame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 13,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeshopgirl View Post

why? why and why? i'd rather have organic foods rather than mcdonalds and universal health care then a child dieing because they can't afford a doctor. wouldn't you, aye ?



First, I don't care what others eat. If someone wants McD's, then more power to them. Organic food? Ditto. It is none of the president's ****ing business what I eat, and I want it to stay that way.



Nope, I don't want universal health care. It is not the responsibility of the federal government, and for damn certain it is not a power granted by the consititution. BTW, children are eligible for numerous programs that provide health care, most of which are run through the states (some federal money, which again I see as unconstitutional, but that is another discussion.)



Some of hate Bush? I hate Kuntitch with a passion that rivals any of your hatred for Bush. I've told him that numerous times via e-mail, until that chicken crap staff of his put me on e-mail block.
Tame is offline  
#24 Old 11-21-2003, 06:38 PM
Banned
 
Tame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 13,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post

It would be so cool if he made it to the final thingabobber



I see the US public school system has turned out another student with a fine grasp of our political system.
Tame is offline  
#25 Old 11-22-2003, 12:47 AM
Newbie
 
coffeeshopgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 49
Alyssa: The next presidency election will be held on November 2nd, the first Tuesday following the first Monday. So unfortunetly you won't be able to vote. =(

And Tame: you seem like an anarcist(?). What's up? Are you a *holds breath* republican?



<3
coffeeshopgirl is offline  
#26 Old 11-22-2003, 10:31 AM
Banned
 
Tame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 13,022
Anarchist? Gack!

No, no, no. I don't sit around in my parents' basement eatin' Pringles and drinking Sunkist while plotting revolution, so there is no way I can be an anarchist.



I am a libertarian, although I often vote republican.
Tame is offline  
#27 Old 11-22-2003, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Quote:
I am a libertarian, although I often vote republican.



Libertarianism is a pretty radical stand, so this means you're in the minority. Isn't it horrible!

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#28 Old 11-22-2003, 11:42 AM
Banned
 
Tame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 13,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Libertarianism is a pretty radical stand, so this means you're in the minority. Isn't it horrible!



See, I understand I am a minority, in many ways. I just don't ***** about it (like certain others) and mope around about how no one else will see the light (like others).
Tame is offline  
#29 Old 11-24-2003, 09:52 PM
Newbie
 
coffeeshopgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

See, I understand I am a minority, in many ways. I just don't ***** about it (like certain others) and mope around about how no one else will see the light (like others).



The Libertarian party is an odd party. On the liberal to conservative chart, the party falls at the complete liberal end. My teacher who taught me about the party actually compared them to anarcy so I wasn't far off in the guessing game. It's strange because the libertarian party platform aims for all people to have all the rights unlike the republican party who wants the people to have no rights. Why do you claim to be a libertarian and then vote republican? They are almost complete opposites.
coffeeshopgirl is offline  
#30 Old 11-24-2003, 10:05 PM
Banned
 
Tame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 13,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeshopgirl View Post

The Libertarian party is an odd party. On the liberal to conservative chart, the party falls at the complete liberal end. My teacher who taught me about the party actually compared them to anarcy so I wasn't far off in the guessing game. It's strange because the libertarian party platform aims for all people to have all the rights unlike the republican party who wants the people to have no rights. Why do you claim to be a libertarian and then vote republican? They are almost complete opposites.



Yikes. You might want to watch making such sweeping statements, especially when they are completely wrong.

Libertarians are not liberal, nor are they completely conservative. A fair statement would be to say we are liberal on social issues, yet conservative on fiscal government issues. You will find that libertarians are more likely to vote republican than democrat.



I am more than amused at your statement that "the republican party wants people to have no rights". Not sure where you get that, but you will find that Republicans are protective of constitutional rights, although there is a reasonable disagreement among many about what rights actually exist (strict interpretation versus judicial activism.)



BTW, anarchists strive for a society with no government, while libertarians accept the need for government but want to keep it as limited as possible and within constitutional bounds.
Tame is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off