Article: One Farm. More Pollution Than Houston, Texas - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

An article that speaks out against factory farming actually made it to the Yahoo main page as a headline. Of course, their focus is environmental, with no regard for the animals, but it's still good that it's there.

Quote:

Factory farms can produce more raw waste than large U.S. cities, threatening not only water quality but air quality as well. Both the number of factory farms and animals fed in confined feeding lots has more than tripled in 20 years, and yet the Environmental Protection Agency is trying to roll back already weak pollution regulations.

That's the gist of a new Government Accountability Report on factory farming out today, and the interpretation of the Democratic Senators who requested it.

Full article:

http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy...dg&ha=1&kw=ist

And the final paragraph:

Quote:

For concerned consumers, look for grass-fed, free-range meats, cut down on meat consumption and seek out local farmers that can assure you about the safety of their practices.

At least they mention cutting meat consumption. God forbid they actually suggest veg*nism.

--Fromper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

So instead of leaving that as a headline article for any period of time, Yahoo has quickly replaced it with a headline about a cruise line that's angered their passengers by charging extra for steak.

--Fromper

#3 Old 09-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm vegan for ethical reasons but it is truly astounding the environmental impact that meat has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-25-2008, 12:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm reading "Portrait of a Burger as a young Calf" right now, and I guess I didn't realize how much waste there is and how many resources are used just for providing dairy and beef. I mean, I knew some numbers, but they honestly didn't mean anything to me. The sheer scale of this is just beyond my ability to understand..!
#5 Old 09-25-2008, 03:40 AM
DNK
Veggie Regular

Go figure the one day I don't check up on the new GAO reports and it's on CAFOs. And it's 80 pages, nice!

I am in serious need of a life injection

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d08944.pdf

There's the actual copy. Much better formatting than the other site, and minus all the adds, etc.
#6 Old 09-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Some of the people making comments scare me. It sounds like the article is painting the issue as a democrat vs. republican issue and that's obviously not the case. Otherwise a good article.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page