PETA ad plays off bus tragedy - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#91 Old 08-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm still considering my view on this ad but I really think peta have shot themselves in the foot with this one. I've just looked at a non-veggie forum and every one of the 31 comments is just pure outrage against peta. Even the ones who were indifferent to peta before are now calling them nutjobs. The fact is that the vast majority of the omni population don't consider animals to be of any worth compared to people and comparing the routine and accepted slaughter to this mans death will only cause anger. This ad isn't going to change public perceptions of animals or slaughter, if anything it will breed more contempt for peta and other AR organisations.

Quote:
I think the Michael Vick incident (and there are so many similar incidents all the time) is more appropriate for comparison because the victims were dogs and the dogs' families cannot be traumatized by the news or by ads. I think ads tying in that incident would be far more effective. Did peta do any? Does anyone know?

Peta don't seem to see pitbulls as animals, they actually went to court to request that Micheal Vicks 53 dogs be destroyed. If they ran an add featuring those dogs that they betrayed so badly then I would be the first to complain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 08-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookle View Post

ETA: Let's hope by posting this I haven't lost the respect I had on here. Goodness knows I wouldn't want that.

I'm so mad at you right now that if you had a birthday party and invited me, I wouldn't come

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#93 Old 08-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I'm so mad at you right now that if you had a birthday party and invited me, I wouldn't come

You wouldn't be invited anyway. Your general forthrightness and willingness to state your opinion even when it differs from other's thoughts has long ago destroyed any respect I could've theoretically had for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 08-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I think PETA was making some pretty good strides in the past few years, but I'm worried that this has sent them back a decade. PETA has always been one of those organizations who you either love or hate, but I think that this will really be detrimental to their public image. I don't think this will help them to spread the word about AR, I think that this will come off to many people as 'those crazy animals rights people trying to make it sound like animals are more important than people', which a lot of people think is the main point, when it isn't.

I understand what they were trying to prove through this ad, and I agree with their intent, I just think that it is very poorly done to use this tragedy to bring light on another. I cannot imagine what this man's family is going through, and I don't want to ever know, but I can tell you, if this happened to my son, or my husband, or my brother and then PETA came out and put out this ad....I don't know what I would do. I am a very non violent person, but that would throw me over the edge, I don't know why.

I don't know what PETA should do in light of this, I don't think an apology will happen, nor do I think that they should take a step back. They've put it out there, they might as well stick with it. The whole thing just doesn't sit well with me, and I'm glad others agree.
#95 Old 08-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe I've just overlooked it. Where is the thread where people are OUTRAGED and DISGUSTED and HORRIFIED that a man was brutally murdered? Seems to me most people in this thread care more about the ad than the murder.

Anyway, since no one else will come out and say it, I support this ad. (Although I don't really support Peta...) Offensive or not, it's 100% accurate. And if one person sees that ad, realizes this, and it eventually leads them to give up meat--then I'm grateful that at least something good could come out of this tragedy.

Also, not AR related, but check this out:
Quote:
A fundamentalist church group from the U.S. has announced it plans to picket the funeral of Tim McLean Jr. in Winnipeg, declaring, "God is punishing Canada."

http://www.winnipegsun.com/News/Winn...71591-sun.html

Edit: Oh, I think that's the church that runs godhatesfags.com, godhatesamerica.com, and all those websites? The above is suddenly less surprising.
#96 Old 08-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You wouldn't be invited anyway. Your general forthrightness and willingness to state your opinion even when it differs from other's thoughts has long ago destroyed any respect I could've theoretically had for you.

Plus he has a Matlock avatar. I wonder if Seven gets invited to any parties.
#97 Old 08-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh - the avatar is a point in his favor. I used to watch Matlock (along with Murder, She Wrote) with my mom as a child. As a 10 year old, I was a fan. Plus, my French teacher in high school ( this is weird, actually) told us to remember the French word for mattress (matelas) by thinking about Matlock on a mattress. Ok, now that I write it out, that's really weird.
#98 Old 08-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sun View Post

Plus he has a Matlock avatar. I wonder if Seven gets invited to any parties.

My mom loves Matlock. Maybe they could hook up sometime?
#99 Old 08-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

I find the cult of personality that surrounds PETA and grants them this "can do no wrong" status to be disturbing at times.

Carole, what you call "cult of personality" is more likely this:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...0&postcount=44

I'm not going to dogpile on activists who are doing something for their cause - even if it's imperfect or not something I prefer for whatever reason - when most are doing nothing. Most "activism" is armchair activism, and some of those armchair activists have a problem when you do just about any actual activism, no matter what it looks like. It's too wefarist. It's too abolitionist. It's not professional enough. It's too conservative. It's too shocking. It's not the "best" way to reach omnis or average person. It's not...whatever. I can see the logic of most campaigns - whether I like them or not - and I'm glad there are people doing their best, however imperfectly, to get the message across.

And some of these people pissed off by Peta's campaign may some day go to Peta or AR with a more open mind, when something in the news or their families or whatever spurs them to it - isn't it supposed to take like 7 times being exposed to a new message before opening up to it? They might not *ever* have even been exposed to the idea that there is an AR movement at all without Peta or some "shocking" tactic that gets it in the news - and I think the animals might be even worse off for that. It may get them thinking some day, whereas it wouldn't have been on their radar at all before.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#100 Old 08-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I support the ad.
#101 Old 08-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanfish View Post

Also, not AR related, but check this out:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/News/Winn...71591-sun.html

Edit: Oh, I think that's the church that runs godhatesfags.com, godhatesamerica.com, and all those websites? The above is suddenly less surprising.

Was he gay???

There was something in the US a few years ago or something where a bunch of religious people were protesting at a funeral for a soldier's death or something....same kind of idea. "he did it to himself, he deserved to die"...I don't get what it is with some of these churches preaching their hate.
#102 Old 08-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think so Masja. They are just an extremely hateful group and think that people deserve whatever happens to them. This guy died horribly so he must have been a horrible person. I personally hope they all turn invisible so they dont have an audience. That's worse than dying in a fire for them (which is in second place)
#103 Old 08-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanfish View Post

Maybe I've just overlooked it. Where is the thread where people are OUTRAGED and DISGUSTED and HORRIFIED that a man was brutally murdered? Seems to me most people in this thread care more about the ad than the murder.

I feel all of those things but the killer is clearly a seriously mentally ill individual. He has to be to do what he did to another human being. While on the other hand, I also feel OUTRAGE, DISGUST, and HORROR that billions of animals are killed every year by people with no more thought than if they were picking flowers.
#104 Old 08-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post

I don't think so Masja. They are just an extremely hateful group and think that people deserve whatever happens to them. This guy died horribly so he must have been a horrible person. I personally hope they all turn invisible so they dont have an audience. That's worse than dying in a fire for them (which is in second place)

I think it's because it's a punishment on Canada for being so liberal and gay friendly. I think that they see us as part of a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah.
#105 Old 08-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Yea that's definitely part of it. It's all bs. They are just making up stuff to get attention.
#106 Old 08-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually think the ad is great - I am in full support. Which is odd since I am not always a PETA supporter.

The thing I fail to understand is why anybody is surprised that PETA is choosing to do something shocking and viewed in poor taste by many.

Did Brittany Spears become the mega-star she is today by her good manners and charity work? Nope - she wore no panties, shaved her head and acted crazy. Then she got a role on a TV show and had her highest charting single since her debut.

Good behavior rarely gets noticed. Sweet, gentle ads appeal to some but shocking and scandalous have their place too. People are talking about PETA and even in a negative light it may be beneficial. At least they are thinking about issues they had probably never considered.

The goal is to be effective not polite.
#107 Old 08-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masja View Post

Was he gay???

There was something in the US a few years ago or something where a bunch of religious people were protesting at a funeral for a soldier's death or something....same kind of idea. "he did it to himself, he deserved to die"...I don't get what it is with some of these churches preaching their hate.

Same church, actually, Westboro Baptist. Some of the worst people on Earth. I wonder if God hates vegetarians? I should email them!
#108 Old 08-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

As a fan of the organization, I'm slightly disappointed in this and I don't see any good that can come out of it. I'm not too surprised, and it doesn't do much to change my opinion about them. And it certainly won't set them back 10 years like a member here claimed.
#109 Old 08-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

the ad:

http://blog.peta.org/archives/mani_large.php

text:

Quote:
Manitoba...

An innocent young victim's

throat is cut...

His struggles and cries

are ignored...

The man with the knife

shows no emotion...

The victim is slaughtered

and his head cut off...

His flesh is eaten.

It's Still Going On!

Right now this exact scenario is reality for many. They are sensitive, they value their lives, they see what is happening, they cannot run away, and they often suffer greatly yet are being killed for nothing more than a fleeting taste of their flesh.

Nonviolence can begin at breakfast, with what we eat. For our free "Vegetarian Starter Kit," visit GoVeg.com

If this ad leaves a bad tase in your mouth, please give a thought to what sensitive animals think and feel when they come to the end of their frightening journey and see, hear, and smell the slaughterhouse. Try switching to a healthy vegetarian diet and save lives every day, including your own.

it seems pretty reasonable, really...

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#110 Old 08-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Matlock on a mattress.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#111 Old 08-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeesh... Taking a person's life and using it for your own political and social gain is just wrong. I assume that the fellows at PETA feel for the man because they are equating it to the horror that so many animals face daily around the world, but this is not showing any respect for this person or his family. Sad. More tact should be used.
#112 Old 08-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

It's things like this that put me on the automatic defensive when explaining my veg*nism to others. It's like people hear the latest offensive thing that PETA has done and immediately want to know if I'm a "PETA freak" for automatic condemnation. I find omni's a lot more receptive to my reasons for not eating meat anymore once they learn that I condemn PETA for their exploitative tactics. This in and of itself lets me know that PETA is doing a lot of harm for the public perception of veg*nism.
#113 Old 08-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I heard they are trying to do something like this in Mobile, Alabama as well. They want to have a billboard playing off a murder that has a plate with a woman's leg on it and says "Meat is Murder". Something along those lines at least.
#114 Old 08-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaveg View Post

I heard they are trying to do something like this in Mobile, Alabama as well. They want to have a billboard playing off a murder that has a plate with a woman's leg on it and says "Meat is Murder". Something along those lines at least.

And what you 'heard' is true is it? Perhaps you could cite a reliable source?

I await your response with unbated breath.
#115 Old 08-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

#116 Old 08-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm speechless.
#117 Old 08-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PneumaticJawz78 View Post

Taking a person's life and using it for your own political and social gain is just wrong.

Well, people have been doing just that with Jesus, Mohammad, Buddha, Krishna etc for millennia.
#118 Old 08-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccolichick View Post

I'm speechless.

Isn't saying that you're speechless, a bit of a contradiction?
#119 Old 08-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

Isn't saying that you're speechless, a bit of a contradiction?

Perhaps.
#120 Old 08-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

Well, people have been doing just that with Jesus, Mohammad, Buddha, Krishna etc for millennia.

QFT!!!!!!!!! (just for you Eleven)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page