Saudi Capital Bans Sale of Dogs and Cats - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Veggie Regular

http://news.aol.com/article/saudi-ca...gs-cats/112565

I don't even know what to think about this..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-31-2008, 10:58 PM

Despite their reasons its good news.

Now for the western world to follow!
#3 Old 08-01-2008, 07:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnh783 View Post

Despite their reasons its good news.

Now for the western world to follow!

Not being able to walk your dog outside is good news? Certainly not for the dog.

Though since Islam considers dogs to be unclean animals (like pigs) it's pretty surprising that dogs as companion animals in Saudi is a big issue.

While I don't necessarily agree with the intentional breeding and sale of purebred dogs - the idea of essentially disallowing companion animals and then their proper treatment is not something I think that the western world should follow.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Violators found outside with their pets will have their beloved poodles and other furry companions confiscated by agents of the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice, the official name of the religious police, tasked with enforcing Saudi Arabia's strict Islamic code.

And I'm sure you can imagine what happens next.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#5 Old 08-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Awesome headline. Shame it was all downhill from there.
#6 Old 08-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen4382 View Post

Awesome headline. Shame it was all downhill from there.

Exactly. When I heard "bans the sale of dogs and cats" I thought that was great news. Taking away someone's dog or cat because they are outside with it is definitely not good news for that animal, considering as "peace" said, the article doesn't state what will happen with the animal. Surely the worst.
#7 Old 08-01-2008, 04:24 PM

I didnt read your link, I had read a story about it which only mentioned the banning of sale in pet shops. Banned from walking dogs? Yeah thats harsh.
#8 Old 08-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

What will become of the animals in pet shops?
#9 Old 08-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Great that the breeding is stopping, but why take animals away from people? The paranoid reasoning behind this act is deranged! *Shakes head* I hope that adoptions and rescues could still be allowed to take place... If they removed all of those pets, what would they do with them? Not kill them, I hope!
#10 Old 08-06-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

Not being able to walk your dog outside is good news? Certainly not for the dog.

Though since Islam considers dogs to be unclean animals (like pigs) it's pretty surprising that dogs as companion animals in Saudi is a big issue.

While I don't necessarily agree with the intentional breeding and sale of purebred dogs - the idea of essentially disallowing companion animals and then their proper treatment is not something I think that the western world should follow.

+1
#11 Old 08-12-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

I am a catholic, who was married to a muslim man for 4 years and I also studied compared religions when I was in college. So I am pretty sure this is not what Islam preaches. They are not allowed to sleep in the same room with dogs, but they can certainly own them and care for them. In fact, there is a passage in their Holly Quran, that describes how God forgave the sins of a killer only because he saved the life of a dying dog. So, if this is what they're using as an excuse to mistreat cats and dogs, they are very wrong! I also got excited only by reading the headline, but right now I feel even more frustrated and disappointed of the human race. When did we lose our sensibility? I wouldn't like to think so, but I'm pretty sure what the end of this will be.
#12 Old 08-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Beba View Post

I am a catholic, who was married to a muslim man for 4 years and I also studied compared religions when I was in college. So I am pretty sure this is not what Islam preaches. They are not allowed to sleep in the same room with dogs, but they can certainly own them and care for them. In fact, there is a passage in their Holly Quran, that describes how God forgave the sins of a killer only because he saved the life of a dying dog. So, if this is what they're using as an excuse to mistreat cats and dogs, they are very wrong! I also got excited only by reading the headline, but right now I feel even more frustrated and disappointed of the human race. When did we lose our sensibility? I wouldn't like to think so, but I'm pretty sure what the end of this will be.

I've heard it from several Muslim friends and one imam. It's even mentioned in the article:

Quote:
In Islamic tradition, dogs are shunned as unclean and dangerous, though they are kept for hunting and guarding. In large cities around the Middle East, stray dogs are considered pests.

Given that Saudi Arabia carries their enforcement of Islamic law to extremes I'm rather surprised that they allow people to have dogs as pets at all.

I'm guessing that if dogs weren't considered unclean in Islamic teaching that there would be no need for the outrage over an ad featuring a puppy.

Or for Muslim taxi drivers to refuse to carry fares who have assistance animals (like seeing eye dogs) claiming that they are unlean animals - article here.

Dogs are considered ritually unclean. The can be kept for working purposes but to own one solely for the pleasure of keeping one as a pet is not encouraged. Though I know Muslims who eat pork and Muslim women who categorically refuse to wear hijab - so levels of adherence to these teachings are obviously variable.

According an imam I had and opportunity to speak to if a dog licks a plate used by humans the plate must be washed 7 times in order for it to be considered ritually clean because dogs are ritually impure animals. I'm going to guess that he knows what he's talking about.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#13 Old 08-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

It is the saliva of the dog not the dogs themselves that is considered to be unclean in Islam, with the exception of some easteren hunting breeds in some muslim cultures. I have met a few muslims that have been perfectly fine and respectful with my dogs.

Quote:
I'm guessing that if dogs weren't considered unclean in Islamic teaching that there would be no need for the outrage over an ad featuring a puppy.

Or for Muslim taxi drivers to refuse to carry fares who have assistance animals (like seeing eye dogs) claiming that they are unlean animals - article here.

I believe that the muslim council of Britain said they did not support the reactions in both these cases. The actions of an extremest minority should not be seen as representitive of the whole faith.

Quote:
Muslim women who categorically refuse to wear hijab - so levels of adherence to these teachings are obviously variable.

I don't believe that in the Kur'an that the hijab is said to be essential for women, it says that women should dress modestly. Within any large religion then there is going to be different sections and different interpritations of the holy text.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page