Meat Eaters Live A Lie - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Participants who ate the vegetarian alternative did not rate the taste and aroma less favorably than those who ate the beef product," the researchers report in August issue of the Journal of Consumer Research. "Instead, what influenced taste evaluation was what they thought they had eaten and whether that food symbolized values that they personally supported."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...CW2RDOH0Ss0NUE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

So we like food that fits our values. I'll buy that. Probably explains why the smell of meat begins to make some vegetarians nauseous. :P I wish we could get the "I could never give that up" omnis to read this ... and consciously decide what their values were.
#3 Old 07-18-2008, 02:13 AM
Beginner

Read some of the comments below this article. They're so ignorant and hilarious.

For example:

"the other thing is,why people are trying to get everyone,to not eat meat,if we hadn't started eating meat;we'd still be hanging from trees"

"We would still be in the trees if we didn't start eating meat. Meat has certain amino acids that got our brain going that plants couldn't do."

"Well prepared, meat should taste better. And we need the protein. Kdavis52 is right on. And vegetarians are cutting down the planet's "factories" for converting CO2 (a greenhouse gas) into Oxygen. Animals compete with us for that Oxygen. Eating meat helps cut down on greenhouse gases and the competition for Oxygen. Save the Rainforests."

They could definitely go into the "Stupid Things Omnivores Say" thread. The last comment is the most idiotic argument I have ever heard. Anyway, cool article. Meat is associated with strength, masculinity, power, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

My father has also said good things about meat alternatives, but didn't know it was a meat alternative. That was a good article. Thanks for posting.
#5 Old 07-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I think this goes both ways. There are things I may not want to eat as a vegetarian (certain kinds of fruits and veggies are just not appetizing to me!) but I had a vegan dish last week that had something on the side that was really sweet and awesome. Somebody asked me what it was, and I said, "I don't know, but maybe if I did I wouldn't want to eat it!"

I just wish that people could get over their expectation of taste with the COLOR of the product. It results in A LOT of artificial colorings and additives in foods. I had an opportunity to get some bottles of Orange Fanta from Europe, which didn't use HFCS or artificial colorings or flavorings. The Fanta looked like lemonade, but had the purest, strongest orange taste of any orange soda I've ever had. I honestly think that we are missing out on the best tasting foods/drinks because food producers are convinced they HAVE to pump their foods full of chemicals to meet the expectation they think people expect.

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page