Read the rest at:

http://www2.oprah.com/foodhome/food/...log_main.jhtml

If you want to write letters of encouragement to Oprah, send vegan

recipes, etc please do so
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

This could end well or really really badly...
#3 Old 05-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Hence the suggestion to send letters of encouragement.

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

This is big news! Let's hope she enjoys going vegan and talks about it on her show. If so, we could see a huge number of her fans following in her footsteps soon.

--Fromper

#5 Old 05-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Hence the suggestion to send letters of encouragement.

I didn't mean it'd end badly for just her. If she decides she doesn't like something, hundreds of Oprahites will join her in dislikng vegetarianism. Hopefully it'll go well and others will at least give it a chance. Letters of encouragement are a great idea!
#6 Old 05-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Ooh!
#7 Old 05-20-2008, 04:24 PM

Oprah's top chef will be preparing food for her like none of eat in our daily lives. If more people had her circumstance to "try" veganism, there would be many more of us. Unfortunately, the rest of us have to limp along as we learn the rules and routines. Poor us!
#8 Old 05-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Very f-ing cool. It's a little scary how influential she is - I think this will be a good thing. And no, the food she ate the first day is exactly the kind of stuff we eat. She might have a team of nutritionists, but aren't many of us? I am looking forward to the rest of this. It's very encouraging that it's not just about 'cleansing'. She is actually talking about cruelty, compassion and animal rights - to some degree. Good stuff.
#9 Old 05-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

This is big news! Let's hope she enjoys going vegan and talks about it on her show. If so, we could see a huge number of her fans following in her footsteps soon.

--Fromper

I agree! I think it was pretty big when she did the puppy mill show, it was a good start, hopefully she'll do something with this. Good for her. I hope she does well
#10 Old 05-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay for her! She's not my favorite person in the world, but I hope she can use her fame and fortune to make a positive impact for the animals. (Heck, I suppose she already is with the puppy mills showing)
#11 Old 05-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

That's good news. Things could be bad if she doesn't like it but they can be very, Very good if she does. Let's hope all goes well and she talks about how wonderful it is on an upcoming show. This could really open peoples eyes. A lot of people watch her show, I'm sure a good deal of them would be willing to give it a shot, So you have to assume that at least a couple will stick with it.

She's like a cult leader, What Oprah says the viewers do. It's a little scary how much power she has... Almost like she's becoming a God in a new religion almost... Oprahism, Maybe?

By the way. I sent a letter.
#12 Old 05-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animosity View Post

That's good news. Things could be bad if she doesn't like it but they can be very, Very good if she does. Let's hope all goes well and she talks about how wonderful it is on an upcoming show. This could really open peoples eyes. A lot of people watch her show, I'm sure a good deal of them would be willing to give it a shot, So you have to assume that at least a couple will stick with it.

She's like a cult leader, What Oprah says the viewers do. It's a little scary how much power she has... Almost like she's becoming a God in a new religion almost... Oprahism, Maybe?

By the way. I sent a letter.

I agree that the Oprahites will do what she does. A bit sad when they don't think about what they are doing but her powers could be used for good this time.
#13 Old 05-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

This will be wonderful if it turns out well for her. We've all seen the amazing sway she holds with many adult women in particular--if Oprah likes a book, it suddenly rockets to the top of the charts.

There's no doubt the "detox" book will be very popular, as well.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#14 Old 05-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselsmom View Post

Oprah's top chef will be preparing food for her like none of eat in our daily lives. If more people had her circumstance to "try" veganism, there would be many more of us. Unfortunately, the rest of us have to limp along as we learn the rules and routines. Poor us!

True, but that also applies to omni meals she eats. Having a bunch of top chefs and being rich makes it easier to be a vegan or an omni, so I'm not sure if it would be any easier for her relative to what she's used than than it is for us commoners relative to what we're used to.
#15 Old 05-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I posted in the discussion on her website.
#16 Old 05-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

This is freaking sweet ass sweet!! Can you imagine how many women are trying this too, just because she is? Right on!!
#17 Old 05-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

I posted in the discussion on her website.

What did you post?
#18 Old 05-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't see the show. How many times did Oprah or Kathy Freston say "vegan" rather than "cleanse?"

Keep on freepin' on

#19 Old 05-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

What does it matter?
#20 Old 05-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookle View Post

What does it matter?

I'm more interested in the most powerful woman in English-speaking media living a vegan life vs. going on a 3-week "cleanse." But that's just me.

Keep on freepin' on

#21 Old 05-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, yes, it would be very lovely, wouldn't it? If she became completely vegan overnight, gave all her money to AR causes, etc., etc..... but that might not be entirely realistic, and I don't think it should keep someone from seeing that this is a good thing, and will have a huge impact no matter what she calls it.
#22 Old 05-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrowthepig View Post

I'm more interested in the most powerful woman in English-speaking media living a vegan life vs. going on a 3-week "cleanse." But that's just me.

I agree. Going on a cleanse means nothing. Going vegan speaks volumes.
#23 Old 05-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

It's not so much vegan as it is a 'cleanse'....since it does away with caffein and all kinds of junk...animal products are just part of it.
#24 Old 05-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What did you post?

My username in there is eggplant47. I basically just gave a little positive shout-out for veganism.
#25 Old 05-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yes, yes, it would be very lovely, wouldn't it? If she became completely vegan overnight, gave all her money to AR causes, etc., etc..... but that might not be entirely realistic, and I don't think it should keep someone from seeing that this is a good thing, and will have a huge impact no matter what she calls it.

Well... She could go vegan overnight and give all her money to human rights causes. I'm not picky. But I agree that it's a good step and I hope it works out.
#26 Old 05-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masja View Post

It's not so much vegan as it is a 'cleanse'....since it does away with caffein and all kinds of junk...animal products are just part of it.

Right - but they speak quite clearly about specifically why the animal products are part of it - namely, compassion. 'Spiritual Integrity' they're calling it. Not about cleansing animal product toxins, but about

Quote:
"Nobody was harmedthat's conscious eating," she says. "If I want to be someone with spiritual integrity, I have to think about the principles that I want to adhere tocompassion, kindness, mercy and the alleviating of suffering when I see it."

To me, describing this is almost as good as calling it vegan. The message is still there, loudly.
#27 Old 05-21-2008, 06:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm sure this has probably got more to do with Oprah needing to lose weight again than any spiritual journey but good on her for having a go....the exposure is fantastic...a PR person's dream really.
#28 Old 05-21-2008, 06:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I think what she is doing is wonderful, and I think why she is doing it is wonderful as well. I think she is being honest about getting in touched with her spiritual integrity and I think that by her talking about being conscious about what she is eating is exceptional. Go Oprah!
#29 Old 05-21-2008, 06:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah right, and Doctor Phil doesn't blow goats.

m8itcanw8.com
#30 Old 05-21-2008, 06:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page